Manly shit

iu

iu

I had a friend (almost a bro in law) that owned a big sheep farm, he had access to dynamite. It was supposed to be for blasting out large rocks but he would use it to blow up random shit just for fun :sunny:
My dad nearly died when he was 10 playing with black powder, and it's probably a good thing Tannerite wasn't around when I was a kid

My dad nearly died when he was 10 playing with black powder, and it's probably a good thing Tannerite wasn't around when I was a kid

That's a good point. If it was around I would have gotten it. I bought so many fireworks at a kid and lit things on fire. If I have a son I'm going to be hyper watchful of tannerite he might be hiding.

Taming fire is manly.

weaksauce

tip kerosene all over it and light the damn thing up

I was a real firebug when younger. I burned stuff for years, still never really grown out of it.
I recall ruining the formica top of our kitchen bench by lighting up a pile of waxed string when I was about 6 or 7. I just liked to watch it burn and crackle.
Then I went to bigger and better. Petrol, grass fires, molotovs, firecrackers, old cars, oxy/acetylene bombs, boxloads of aerosols at the local tip. I once near killed myself by dropping a lit match in an "empty" 5 gallon fuel drum. moran

I've worked in metal foundries for years now, I still like to see things burn :psyduck:

Have you tried to remove the ash yet and if so, what are you using? If not, or if you have and believe you jacked it up, look for a brass wire brush with soft bristles.

Used a big wire brush and went (mostly) with the grain. Brush measures roughly 3x7 inch, so it spread out the down force fairly nicely. Accidentally went cross grain a few times, but if I wanted perfect I wouldn't be burning it.
F8cDctt.jpg

Vacuumed it off with a soft brush attachment
7pQEkFf.jpg

Then started wiping with paper towels.
kA1xFce.jpg

Took a while to get the oily char off the surface, then cleaned with mineral spirits.
1uOeOm1.jpg

Used half a roll of paper towels wiping with and without spirits.
gyd0Nui.jpg

Coated the underside with Minwax clear semi gloss floor polyurethane this afternoon.
jp9fosl.jpg

You can see some imperfections in the wood on the underside.
19BATUq.jpg

I hit the top before bed.
vZRvk7U.jpg

Pictures really don't do it justice, I'll take another with natural light in the morning.
DwSH9QK.jpg

A few notes.
The fire will burn the glue out near the surface. You're not going to get a writing surface unless you use an epoxy or fill the gaps somehow.

Beware of warping, the heat will cause the center to rise. I flipped it and applied heat to the other side so it would cool evenly. It was also 40 degrees F outside, so the temperature differential was greater.

These butcher blocks will have knots and imperfections on one side. Deal with it.

I haven't touched this with sandpaper. AT ALL. Right out of the plastic, fire, wire brush, cleaning, poly. I would like some shelves above the desk, so this piece may become shelves at some point, but I'll see how it works.

Last edited:
practice on the bottom side with the orbital. Nice thing about poly is how it creates a hard shell on the wood so it will fill into the low spots and when you get the orbital going, you should be able to pull out more colors in the wood.

I made it over to Steelport knives and picked up one of their 8" chef knifes.

EJnSIYt.jpg

It's a cool company with a cool owner.
He turned me on to another cool Portland company that he started and then sold.

Check out their 8" cast iron skillet -
iu

iu

I use cast iron but it's all Lodge brand.
I love the old school range handles on these pieces.
I am going to have to take a trip over to Finex now.

Here is the Finex story...

One cast iron pan is pretty much like another for results. But, the thing looks awesome and is made right here in PDX. So - I will add one of these to my Portand souvenir collection before bailing.

Here is the Finex site:
FINEX Premium Cast Iron Cookware, Skillets Pans, US Made

Last edited:
They would probably be better using vacuum impregnation.

Very nice looking knife, I would take a stone to the back corner of the blade and round it off a little. It looks like they have been smart and shaped it away a little which is really nice. Blades without a bolster are notorious for catching your hand.

Dare I ask how much $$$$

Back