Learning to speak another language?

Max007 said:
Yep.

But like you said, you only pick up words here and there, some of the stuff is completly different and other words that sound alike have totally different meanings.

Max

Well if i can recall - Italian is really close to latin. Its just spoken like shit.

French also is close, but the words have extra shit tacked on the end.

This doesn't take into account slang and what not.

I really don't know too much about this. My friend loves language and can speak 10+ no problem. He also speaks 'esperanto' (sp) odd ball guy.

Whoop said:
Well if i can recall - Italian is really close to latin. Its just spoken like shit.

French also is close, but the words have extra shit tacked on the end.

This doesn't take into account slang and what not.

I really don't know too much about this. My friend loves language and can speak 10+ no problem. He also speaks 'esperanto' (sp) odd ball guy.

Well I can say for sure that Spanish and French aren't really all that close. The words are different but the accent is similar, that what makes it easier to learn for someone that already speaks a latin based language.

Max

Definitley Latin.

It's easy to learn because so many words are based off of Latin, I mean its amazing just HOW many are..

aside from the fact that my latin teacher is the fucking coolest guy ever, I love the class..

xpdnc said:
german is a fun language to learn, but as for ease...spanish, as it's closer to english than most

German iscloser to english then spanish. Spanish is a Latin language so its good to learn if you wanna maybe speak italian someday. The easiest thing to learn is dutch(wehatever they speak). My partner at work is from europe and he speaks 12 languages (i only speak 2), and he tells me dutch is by far the easiest english varient to learn.

But who really wants to speak dutch =-[

Max007 said:
Well I can say for sure that Spanish and French aren't really all that close. The words are different but the accent is similar, that what makes it easier to learn for someone that already speaks a latin based language.

Max

Minus Portuguese, there isn't anything out there closer to Spanish than French. Try comparing the verbs sometime. They really are pretty damn similar. I've had basic conversations where I've spoken in Spanish with a French-speaking friend and been able to get my meaning across.

-]P[-Veor said:
Definitley Latin.

It's easy to learn because so many words are based off of Latin, I mean its amazing just HOW many are..

aside from the fact that my latin teacher is the fucking coolest guy ever, I love the class..

It all depends on your teacher obviously. When I took Latin last fall my professor was probably in his 80s or 90s and was a horrible professor. Our tests were from the foreign language department and he never taught us shit that was on it, i.e. declensions (first time I saw them was on the test).

However my Russian professor is awesome. I guess it helps she lived in Russian all her life up until coming to the US 2 years ago. Plus she's hot which keeps me interested. I've never been good learning another language (Got a C in French and B in Spanish in HS) but I have an A in Russian. My advice would be if you have a bad professor get out of the class and use the language everyday otherwise you'll probably forget it. I remember nothing from my French classes, but some of my Spanish because I live in Tejas.

the only language we can take here at college is spanish... i want to take that next semester... but for something in the spare time... im going to try german i know a lot already from return ot castle wolfenstein (yes thats fucked up but none of my friends know danke ja or nein, i know more then that just examples though)

Violent said:
the only language we can take here at college is spanish... i want to take that next semester... but for something in the spare time... im going to try german i know a lot already from return ot castle wolfenstein (yes thats fucked up but none of my friends know danke ja or nein, i know more then that just examples though)

your a nut case!

but i have to admit that sometimes when i used invisible mode in mohaa single player or rtcw i would walk up to guards and listen to their conversations. lol that made me homesick.

its a great honor to learn the german language. speak it with pride! may u be able to pronounce the "ch" without sounding it like "sch"!

I'm fairly good at spanish, however i pride myself on being able to swear in 6 languages. i don't know spelling but i can swear in:
yiddish
Spanish
German
English
Italian
Galach

Edit: Spanish is pretty easy in general, but since english comes from German that is fairly easy to pick up. I would suggest Spanish because it's the easiest romanic (latin based) language and once you have it you can pick up the others (french, porutguese, Italian and Latin) fairly easily.

you're welcome

Last edited:
Violent said:
i heard french is easy...

Whoever told you that is insane. I've been taking French for 5 years and every minute of it sucks. I think its really difficult...

Zona said:
Whoever told you that is insane. I've been taking French for 5 years and every minute of it sucks. I think its really difficult...
thats bs - i could have fuckin slept through french and had no problems

nordic languages with the exception of finnish are germanic, but a little simpler than german. out of those, icelandic is supposed to be the hardest to learn. if you know swedish, you can pretty much talk to anybody in scandinavia, albeit a little less efficiently in norway, iceland and denmark since the languages are a bit different. however for the most part, most of it is the same

Shag ® said:
It all depends on your teacher obviously. When I took Latin last fall my professor was probably in his 80s or 90s and was a horrible professor. Our tests were from the foreign language department and he never taught us shit that was on it, i.e. declensions (first time I saw them was on the test).

how can you NOT teach declensions

jesus wtf, its one of the first things you learn

I'm learning mandarin right now. Its pretty damn hardcore. The class moves fast, and there is no basis in english go off of. Keeping in mind all your tones, memorizing characters, and mastering the sounds is tough.

Back