[In the bag] One year as a criminal defense attorney

if anything DUI needs much stiffer penalties

Yes and no, the level of impairment depends so much on the person it is hard to justify extreme prescriptive punishments. I met a guy that got a DUI with a 0.0 BAC simply because he admitted to the cop that he had consumed a alcoholic beverage in the last few hours.

I drove home blackout one time (I don't remember making it to my car it just happened idk), unblacked out when I got pulled over and was told I seem "sober enough" since I was driving my passed out friend home, but he tailed me the rest of the way home (3 miles, 2.7 on highway) to make sure I didn't cross any lines since he saw me go over one.

i was a fucking idiot

but apparently a decently drunk driving idiot? idk.

I don't bring my keys out anymore. I'm not sure what lesson I was supposed to learn from that experience other than my blacked out body likes to drive so o well.

Impairment is different for everyone though. Some people have good motor skills at .1, some people are impaired from the get go (asians). Law is the law though, .08 seems like a decent middle ground. .05 is ridiculous and I have driven probably a thousand miles at that level. Nothing like state bar hopping through 7 states back home.

I drove home blackout one time (I don't remember making it to my car it just happened idk), unblacked out when I got pulled over and was told I seem "sober enough" since I was driving my passed out friend home, but he tailed me the rest of the way home (3 miles, 2.7 on highway) to make sure I didn't cross any lines since he saw me go over one.

i was a fucking idiot

but apparently a decently drunk driving idiot? idk.

I don't bring my keys out anymore. I'm not sure what lesson I was supposed to learn from that experience other than my blacked out body likes to drive so o well.

Impairment is different for everyone though. Some people have good motor skills at .1, some people are impaired from the get go (asians). Law is the law though, .08 seems like a decent middle ground. .05 is ridiculous and I have driven probably a thousand miles at that level. Nothing like state bar hopping through 7 states back home.

How do you know what level bac you were under at the time? Do you carry around a bac meter with you when drinking? Or are you just assuming because you were drinking but not falling down drunk that you were at that specific bac level?

Law is the law though, .08 seems like a decent middle ground. .05 is ridiculous and I have driven probably a thousand miles at that level. Nothing like state bar hopping through 7 states back home.

.08 is crazy low. I'm 6'3, 185 and if I have 2 good beers (not miller lite at 3.5% abv) I'm over the limit. There is no way I'm intoxicated after 2 beers.

this is why cops have discretion over whether to arrest you and prosecutors have discretion over if/how to charge you

.08 is crazy low. I'm 6'3, 185 and if I have 2 good beers (not miller lite at 3.5% abv) I'm over the limit. There is no way I'm intoxicated after 2 beers.

I always found this skit amusing and truthful in regards to this topic.

I would pay for a drunk driving class.....where one can be certified to drive at a higher BAC limit.

How do you know what level bac you were under at the time? Do you carry around a bac meter with you when drinking? Or are you just assuming because you were drinking but not falling down drunk that you were at that specific bac level?

I know my level is that much because I can math and while all bodies are different that's roughly what I am.

Back