[In the bag] One year as a criminal defense attorney

Stig

Veteran XX
Prior to being an attorney, I had a fairly positive opinion of law enforcement. I feel privileged to call a number of them friends. But what an eye opener this has been. I've realized that:

1) Cops will lie in their arrest reports and on the stand to justify warrantless arrests and searches. It happens more than I ever imagined possible. Civilians are generally screwed in such circumstances because a cop's word seems to be given more weight over an accused's word. And, even if I have video evidence of a direct lie, the prosecution won't file perjury charges on the cop (which is infuriating) cops seem to get away with false testimony with utter impunity.

2) (imo) if I were to rate cops from worst to best, I would say Police, Sheriffs, then Highway Patrol.

3) If you are being investigated for a crime, or worse yet, have been arrested, don't talk to cops. It won't help you. If you have been arrested, it does you absolutely no good: wait to talk to a public defender, a private defense attorney, or a defense investigator. Cops collect evidence - if they arrested you, they already made a judgment call that you are guilty that will likely result in criminal charges. Nervous people (ie those under intense auspision) can often make innocent mistakes when it comes to describing exact dates or times under questioning, and a cop who thinks you are guilty is often going to write his/her report in such a biased tone to highlight any inconsistencies to secure a conviction.

In sum: if you got arrested, don't say shit. You can't talk yourself out of it - what's done is done. The burden is on the prosecution to prove you guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, don't open your mouth to someone that isn't required by law to keep your confidences (ie attorney-client privilege)

4) it's 100% legal for a cop to lie or deceive you during questioning. For example, they can tell you they have eyewitnesses pegging you as the culprit, they can tell you that your fingerprints are on a gun, they can tell you a co-defendant pointed the finger at you, or they have video evidence that you committed the crime. Don't think such bs can force a false confession? wait until you are being told you'll get probation over prison time if you just admit to a crime. Dirty tactics, and surprisingly legal. Be careful.

5) Don't let a cop trick you into consenting to a search of your person, property or home. Ever! A common tactic is: "do you have any weapons or illegal substances on you?" - "no" - "then you won't mind if I search, right?"

Answer: "yes, I DO mind if you don't have a warrant"

So many people get sucked into giving up their 4th Amendment rights via this ruse. Don't consent to anything.

6) Resisting arrest charges are often complete horseshit. When you have 4+ cops on you: one with his knee in your neck, another beating you with a baton, and others deploying tasers on you: it's near impossible to get your hands immediately behind your back, and your body is going to naturally convult. Yet so many of these arrests are filed as resisting arrest or assault on a police officer charges.

I'll add more stuff if it comes to mind.

Last edited:
I think I belong to the most depressing profession in the world lol. People often think of defense attorneys as scum (I don't take molestation or rape cases) and I know many of my clients are guilty of something (though not everything) they get accused of.

But there is another side of the coin: people have 4th amendment rights that get trampled on, new DA's are often advanced according to trial statistics (meaning they might not settle a case for a fair result so they can push it to trial and secure a win for their resume), and DA's, like most attorneys, are competitive as hell, and some will use evidence codes to block potentially exculpatory evidence from ever hearing the light of day. It's insane.

Dear diary...

It took you a year to figure out what most people figure out in one interaction with LE. You are very smart indeed.

Question about 5- what about car? At a state border highway check, their dog signals my car do they need a warrant? Are they allowed to check if I'm smuggling things? If they want to search it, and I say no arent they going to screw me over/send me back where I belong

How does it feel to know that you've made life choices that guarantee that your worst client is more respected and valued by society than you are? And they didn't have to go through 3 extra years of school and sit for the bar!

I think I belong to the most depressing profession in the world lol. People often think of defense attorneys as scum (I don't take molestation or rape cases) and I know many of my clients are guilty of something (though not everything) they get accused of.

But there is another side of the coin: people have 4th amendment rights that get trampled on, new DA's are often advanced according to trial statistics (meaning they might not settle a case for a fair result so they can push it to trial and secure a win for their resume), and DA's, like most attorneys, are competitive as hell, and some will use evidence codes to block potentially exculpatory evidence from ever hearing the light of day. It's insane.

Dear diary...

sad

respect to defense attorneys, especially the ones who do it out of principle, because the prison sentences are fucking retarded in this country. anyone who gets a felony is completely fucked for the rest of his/her life. there are no second chances.

wait until you are being told you'll get probation over prison time if you just admit to a crime. Dirty tactics, and surprisingly legal. Be careful.

this is something court appointed attorneys and prosecutors co-conspire to get you to plea out to a lesser crime even if your innocent, so on the books it looks like they both win. The whole judicial system is a farce, had been since the beginning of our country's founding (40% of our founding fathers were lawyers).

I appreciate that you are exposing the cops for the criminals that they are though.

Question about 5- what about car? At a state border highway check, their dog signals my car do they need a warrant? Are they allowed to check if I'm smuggling things? If they want to search it, and I say no aren't they going to screw me over/send me back where I belong

tell them you are recording if in mass or other state that doesn't allow recording without notice, then clearly state that you won't resist and stop them from searching your car, but if they do, they are doing it without your consent. make it clear to them that you are exercising your 4th amendment rights. If they give you what have you got to hide, quote Ben Franklin and say nothing else.

I also have a question about 5. If I really don't have anything to hide, is there anything to fear if I let the police search without a warrant? For instance, should I be worried that the cops will plant something on me?

Back