I really hate....

[THE]Perrin said:
I'll be the first to admit my grammar and spelling are not exactly up to par, that's what comes from reading to much, and writing to little. Thank you.
run-on sentences...oh and

TOO not TO

Last edited:
FngrBANG said:
run-on sentences...oh and

TOO not TO

That's one of the ones I'm worst at.

Too or to,

And Then or Than

:shrug:

In fact if tw was on a than not then spree I'd probably be happy about it, get it fixed quick.

same with too.

I just get annoyed when people start bitching about it as if they have some god-given right to only have their virgin eyes view perfectly parsed posts.

Go fuck a sock.

[THE]Perrin said:
Go fuck a sock.

sock2.jpg

Anyone that has time for grammar isn't thinking about more important things.

It's typically a crutch for the weak minded to point out they really are good at something. ;)

T w i z t i D said:
the point, to me, is that when you make blatant spelling and usage errors, you're just showing that you have no command of the language you speak. Misspell a tough word, or make an obvious typo, no big deal. It's the wrong "your" and shit like that which are particularly disturbing, because they show that you just don't know. It's not that you aren't going to spellcheck/grammarcheck your stuff on TW, it's that you shouldn't have to.

Nice one.

T w i z t i D said:
the point, to me, is that when you make blatant spelling and usage errors, you're just showing that you have no command of the language you speak. Misspell a tough word, or make an obvious typo, no big deal. It's the wrong "your" and shit like that which are particularly disturbing, because they show that you just don't know. It's not that you aren't going to spellcheck/grammarcheck your stuff on TW, its that you shouldn't have to.

:shrug:

Perhaps, but when I type while half paying attention to something else, and not really thinking about it, and just typing fast errors will occour. A missing apostrophe is not the end of the world.

Just because someone types the wrong "your/you're" or "too/to/two" or "then/than" has no bearing on whether they have command of the english language. When typing quickly replying to a comment (especially in a fast-paced environment like IRC), words are just typed as quickly as possible and that is that. When with your friends, do you guys make sure to use correct grammar? I sure as hell don't. Like, I tend to end my sentences with prepositions, or I'll say "Me and my friends", things of that nature. When I first learned the grammar rules, I would correct anyone and everyone. That was well over 15 yrs ago.

Now, in a job interview, or reading/writing a scholarly essay/article, or is some other formal setting, my habits change. I will make sure my grammar and spelling are correct. This doesn't make me less intelligent because I tend to be lax around my friends and more proper with professionals. It just means I have more important things to worry about than complete correct grammar and spelling when I am speaking or hanging out with friends.

Tatiyana said:
Just because someone types the wrong "your/you're" or "too/to/two" or "then/than" has no bearing on whether they have command of the english language. When typing quickly replying to a comment (especially in a fast-paced environment like IRC), words are just typed as quickly as possible and that is that. When with your friends, do you guys make sure to use correct grammar? I sure as hell don't. Like, I tend to end my sentences with prepositions, or I'll say "Me and my friends", things of that nature. When I first learned the grammar rules, I would correct anyone and everyone. That was well over 15 yrs ago.

No, it should be subconcious so that you don't even have to think about it. Then that means you have the command of the language you've been speaking since whenever.

do you not understand the meaning or is it grammatically incorrect for some strange reason? All I am saying is my habits of using incorrect grammar with friends changes to using almost perfect grammar with professionals or writing a scholarly-type essay.

Back