I just installed Ubuntu

I lost count of how many times I had to reinstall Ubuntu, because of the small shitty things that mess it up completely.

My guess is that you crashed your xserver, but instead of fixing the one line in your xorg.conf file or reinstalling xserver you decided to reinstall the entire operating system. Also, don't fuck with important files if you don't know what you are doing (then complain about having to reinstall things when you break something).

Thats like going into the windows registry and fucking with different keys and then getting pissed when windows doesn't start up right.

I've got Kubuntu on this shitty $100 pc.
I can't get the sound driver to work in audio applications. It works fine for system sounds and watching flash movies in a browser. But amarok and such just won't work, no matter which driver I try. They just play through the file instantly which means there is an error with sending the output.
Any suggestions?

Fedora Core 6 with Beryl and XGILX

col had that installed on a pc, and man that was fucking cool.
beat the shit outa ubuntu hands down

My guess is that you crashed your xserver, but instead of fixing the one line in your xorg.conf file or reinstalling xserver you decided to reinstall the entire operating system. Also, don't fuck with important files if you don't know what you are doing (then complain about having to reinstall things when you break something).

Thats like going into the windows registry and fucking with different keys and then getting pissed when windows doesn't start up right.

Yes, blame me because my ATI 9800Pro doesn't like to be updated.

Yes, blame me because my ATI 9800Pro doesn't like to be updated.

I have this card, the support for it is a lot better now. They had a few issues with the default xorg-driver-fglrx package for the last two releases, but this is now fixed.

I think that for people who aren't used to the kind of problems you have in Linux, it seems like a really awful operating system. But if you stick with it for a while, and get a friend who really knows the ins and outs of Linux, you'll like it a lot better. It's really a lot more powerful and stable (in the long run) once you figure out how to work out the typical Linux kinks.

I think the big thing is, everyone's used to Windows problems and how to fix those, but they have to start at square one with Linux, re-learning what kinds of problems you get in that sort of environment, and re-learning how you go about solving them.

Also, there is software out there for EVERYTHING. A good thing to do is add multiverse to your repositories, and apt-cache search for something you want (or google for it and then just apg-get it in the terminal).

I also like to simplify things so I don't have to type out my most common command line commands.

(add to your /home/yourusername/.bash_aliases file)
alias install='sudo apt-get install'
alias update='sudo apt-get update'
alias upgrade='sudo apt-get upgrade'
alias search='sudo apt-cache search'

Plz tell me the point of installing linux. I had Ubuntu installed on this PC until I realized that there was no point. I had to reboot to XP all the time just to play my games anyways.

Plz tell me the point of installing linux. I had Ubuntu installed on this PC until I realized that there was no point. I had to reboot to XP all the time just to play my games anyways.

leetness and ambiguity, i mean the largest security flaw in windows is its popularity.

Ive done the unbuntu thing a few times, its cool until you start booting into windows a lot for specific apps.

I'm currently running XP on my laptop and I'm just waiting for the end of this semester to put ubuntu back on. Might even do Kubuntu.

Ran ubuntu for a while about 4 months ago and was happy with it. It can do everything I need in a computer plus some. It's also noticeably faster than XP for my laptop.

the largest security flaw in windows is the userbase. The average linux user is way more advanced than the average windows user(you kinda have to be) which makes it THAT much more secure.

Ubuntu is more stable than windows. I don't have viruses or spyware problems but word will freeze up on my occasionally and adobe pdf viewer sucks balls for some reason on my laptop. It crashes alot and i have uninstalled reinstalled it a dozen different times with almost as many different versions. There are tons of other reasons why ubuntu is better but it really boils down to your preference and if you don't see a reason to switch, then don't.

I have a Suse 10.1 box for my Myth rig, so I can record 2 HD streams and play back another simultaneously. It's pretty cool.

My latest project is an old P2 700 Celeron - I'm trying to get it to play back an HD stream remotely. It's just a little too slow, so I installed Gentoo and I'm slowly getting it to the point where it's fast enough. Gentoo can be a bitch - but there's enough docs out there for you to figure it out on your own.

If your primary thing is running games and MS Word to type up papers for college - Linux isn't for you. As much as Suse and Ubuntu tout the 3D desktop thing, let's face it - unless it runs CS and Word, it's useless to most people. Linux is an OS for a dedicated purpose, like a webserver, a Myth box, or a media server.

I don't really know much about what you're doing with HD, but maybe try xubuntu for that low end pc.

But I don't know if xubuntu would support that or if Gentoo is faster.

as twizted said, 64 bit edition has really limited support compared to the 32 bit edition, so i recommend that,

i also recommend installing the kubuntu package, as a lot of programs depend on the file packages in kde

plus you can switch between gnome and kde whenever you want, tho i like gnome better

Back