[Hurricane] Irma

JoMo

Veteran XX
So there's a hurricane out in the Atlantic churning towards the US. It's still many days away and may completely miss the US. However, there's some model agreement on a possible US landfall, the location is unknown, but areas from Florida up the east coast would be in danger.

The latest model runs from last night seem to like the South Carolina/North Carolina area for landfall, however that will probably change many times over the next few days.

It's going to depend on timing of a trough of low pressure crossing the US. It's possible it picks Irma up and takes it with it, but it's also possible that it's too fast and misses Irma, which allows high pressure to build in which steers Irma into the US coast. A third option would be something like what happened during Sandy where it captured the storm.

The intensity guidance generally keeps it as a Cat3/Cat4 storm through the end of the run.

Below are model tracks that will update as time goes on:

12z (updates in the morning):

11L_tracks_12z.png

00z (updates in the evening/night):
11L_tracks_00z.png

Track updates:
storm_11

Last edited:
12z GFS model this morning is sticking to it's SC/NC landfall area.

The model is modeling very low pressure in this storm, with a very large wind field.

(image will change)

gfs_mslp_wind_seus_34.png

Anyone remember Hurricane Hugo?

Hurricane Hugo - Wikipedia

i live in Darlington SC and Mathew blew down a complete row of my pine tree's took $3500 to clear them out....this year i have Zero trees in my yard and my new roof was perfectly fine from Mathews winds and heavy rain...I just did some quick maintenance to my Generator and got 4 5 gallon metal gas cans ready to roll, last time i lost power for 3 days.

12z Euro decided to scare Florida and then took it NE out to sea.

Model spread is still really huge.

i live in Darlington SC and Mathew blew down a complete row of my pine tree's took $3500 to clear them out....this year i have Zero trees in my yard and my new roof was perfectly fine from Mathews winds and heavy rain...I just did some quick maintenance to my Generator and got 4 5 gallon metal gas cans ready to roll, last time i lost power for 3 days.

wsup SC bro

I'm still thinking it's going to recurve out to sea. But right now it's anyone's guess this far from landfall.

That 00z GFS with the South Florida landfall, all the way up the FL coast into Georgia...

Fun model times.

Back