[HSBC] Launders $9B of Drug Money, Fined $1.9B

Calx

Veteran XV
How is this not already on tw?

HSBC, too big to jail, is the new poster child for US two-tiered justice system | Glenn Greenwald | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Spoiler

Meanwhile in any state America, get caught with a gram of coke and you're facing 10 years in federal pound you in the ass prison thanks to mandatory minimums.

big business and government in bed together color me shocked

It's especially polarizing to see that laundering the drug trade's money gets you a fine equal to 5 weeks of income but possessing a gram of crack gets you in jail. (I'm not sure if the laws are still like that, I do not keep up to speed with crack laws)

its disgusting

governments starved for cash and fucking citizens every which way in order to scrap the change it needs to operate, and here a big corporation engages in flagrantly criminal action, and they allow said corporation to keep 7B dollars that were earned criminally

those funds would really come in handy to other institutions that actually do something for the people rather than "handle money"

they'll just station more cops off freeway exits, and post more confusing parking signs, so they can keep fucking citizens with bullshit tickets, taxes, and what have you's to make ends meet

Last edited:
i heard this on the radio and its really appauling

if i had any business with them i'd change banks immediately

The sad thing is I bet the taxpayer money they received more than paid for this. They probably lost nothing.

They also only mention the actual money they laundered. Nothing mentions the gains made with it (I'm sure they more than tripled that amount in all those years).

Bank, you so silly. :lol:

I feel bad for the teens/young adults who get put in jail over idiotic low-level drug charges. Their parents, parents of friends, teachers, adult superiors in general will tell them how stupid they were, how they should have been more careful, drugs are bad, don't do illegal things, etc. when in reality it's just a broken system.

From NPR's coverage, a good take on it I thought.

"What's so wonderful about an indictment? The question is: What are we trying to achieve here?" says Hal Scott, director of the Program on International Financial Systems at Harvard Law School.

He says to forget about indicting a bank: Banks don't break the law, people do. And people aren't too big to fail or too big to go to jail.

Not a single individual at HSBC has been charged with the very conduct the bank admits happened, Scott says. And unfortunately, he adds, that's probably because it's just a lot easier to nail a bank. Charging people with crimes means more trials, which requires more money, time and evidence.

"You can go into the bank and say, 'Well, I think you did something wrong, and I'm thinking of indicting you, and you better pay a big fine,' and, you know, they'll agree to it," says Scott. "It's not their money."

And that, he notes, is the perverse thing about the HSBC settlement: That $2 billion is coming from shareholders, not from the people who broke the law.

But the settlement averted an indictment, and authorities thought that was the best outcome for the economy. Some legal experts, like Duke Law professor James Cox, agree. He says it would have been a disaster if HSBC was charged with crimes.

Moral of the story: it's easier--politically, economically, and bureaucratically--to just threaten an indictment and extract a fine than it is to build criminal cases against individuals responsible. It's not "too big to fail," it's too timid and lazy to prosecute. Sadly, this is the US's typical approach to corporate crime, and I personally see a good bit of merit in China's approach. The "liability" in llc. should be a lot less "limited."

Why hasn't any individual been held accountable for this?
Because this is too high up the food chain for a scapegoat and too many people were involved. We're talking about the majority of the highest staff. If you charged/imprisoned them all the entire bank would crumble (and you know how horrified the US is of letting a bank die). :scared:

jail them and hand it over to Bank of America

then we can have a UK based bank owned by Bank of America to gloat about

Because this is too high up the food chain for a scapegoat and too many people were involved. We're talking about the majority of the highest staff. If you charged/imprisoned them all the entire bank would crumble (and you know how horrified the US is of letting a bank die). :scared:

So... they know who was responsible (not the entirety of HSBC) and did not prosecute. Not sure how this computes to = too costly to prosecute individuals.

I'm pretty sure they can find replacements if regulators assisted the bank (regulators are in bed with the banks, different issue).

I think it's a fair perspective to look at the business side of things (cost to prosecute and economic damage overall) but the economic damage of letting "them" know that they can get away with this sort of shit is probably worse. Of course they're cool with their friends getting paper, though. Not economically sensible to prosecute is a bunch of shit.

Lastly, leave it to NPR to come up with a different perspective than "banks/govt are corrupt." They're still funded by corporations. (partially) Which corps, I dunno. Couldn't find it online, not surprising.

Last edited:
Yea... Really not shocked at all about this, or any other news regarding this corrupt country.

I don't watch the news, I don't vote, and I don't consider myself a citizen

Yeah, fuck all of you obama OR romney loving idiots. This should show you who those pieces of shit really work for. They work for the banks, the rich, and the powerful.

Back