How old is too old for pickup hoops?

CjBurden

Veteran XX
Just curious. I know that there are old guys that play in old guy leagues.... but thats a different story from playing with a bunch of young kids in their teens and 20's. I'm only 35 so I'm really not there yet, but just wondering when people stopped playing because they felt too old.

I'm feeling old as dirt right now... but thats afterwards. Wasn't too bad during the games I played earlier.

Just curious. I know that there are old guys that play in old guy leagues.... but thats a different story from playing with a bunch of young kids in their teens and 20's. I'm only 35 so I'm really not there yet, but just wondering when people stopped playing because they felt too old.

I'm feeling old as dirt right now... but thats afterwards. Wasn't too bad during the games I played earlier.

you are only as old as you feel. if you can hang with them then do it. i still ride bmx and still impress a kid here and there. old is a state of mind... unless your body says otherwise :p

you're too old when you're a detriment to the gameplay and you're slowing shit down

I've been slowing down the game forever though.... so I'm not sure thats a great barometer for me. ;)

Really wasn't ever one for pushing the ball on the break constantly... At least not like some people who try to do it off of every rebound. I'll push it if there's a good reason, but I don't want to wear myself out that quick.

i'm 39 and play pickup hoops every wednesday at the local Y near my office
i play with a combo of coworkers and guys from outside the office who show up because they know there's going to be a game
the games are very spirited and surprisingly competitive/ athletic (guys who play in local colleges come, and one dude who played D league last year)
the ages range from 20-ish to a couple guys in their 50s, it's awesome I love it

If it's outdoors on concrete that's not good for your knees. Indoors in the hard wood is better. Save your knees and plan a ski trip for the winter, roller coasters in the summer.

I've played in pick up games out doors years ago. They always turn into arguing matches over the fouls. You also run the risk of getting elbowed in the nose.

Ok, so you don't drive inside, and don't crash the boards. Then you're waiting at a spot (the foul line) for someone to pass you the ball to take a jumper. I remember that dude, balding, but could hit the jumper, still seemed out of place.

Also, don't play in a work softball or kickball league, they're even worse.

Last edited:
I've been pulled into a tennis league, like a serious one (I'm now ranked in the USTA...very low) and I hurt myself pretty much every time.

Next I'm supposed to get back into volleyball. I'll probably die.

I see old dudes playing all the time

They seem lonely

Why u spend so much time of your old life at the gym brah?

Tennis is also bad on the knees and you can get tennis elbow. I get the dream of exercising and playing like you did in your 20s, but you'll have to cut back. Otherwise you won't be skiing in your 40s.

I wish they made a synthetic meniscus but they don't. You only have one for each knee. It's like a sponge between the bones (cartridge). If you over do it, you'll have a tear and pain that doesn't go away unless you pull your foot to your butt like you see runners doing all the time. That puts your knee in the correct position and helps to stop some of the pain. Otherwise, it's surgery time.

Most grown ups gradually cut back on sports because of kids, pets, and their knees are shot. People like me want to save it for the ski slopes. Wear braces if you're going to keep doing this stuff.
http://www.amazon.com/Incredibrace-...8&qid=1429025025&sr=8-1&keywords=incredibrace
Go with size large

Last edited:
Thats pretty much my game. Couple times a game I can shake someoone for a layup or drive and dish... decent shooter if somewhat streaky... Never have been a liability on D, although I'm short and slight so rebounding isn't my strong suit. :)

Back