How do you get out of office donations?

Trinston

Veteran XV
The holiday's are here and requests for donations/charity stuff is at an all time high in your workplace. How do you handle these endless requests?

Our group decided to adopt a family this year, a very large family with specific requests. Donations were requested through email initially, then folllowed up on by an envelope circulating the office. I was able to ignore this until receiving an IM requesting that I purchase a $25 gift card to H&M. Physically go to H&M and purchase this myself. I have idea how to respond to this.

I have recently also seen another adopt a family request, toys for tots, charities, and donations to our 2 security guards.

How do you get out of this stuff without being the office asshole?

Lie.

Tell them you are spending your 'charity' budget on friend of yours church in another state.

BAM BOOM done

god forbid you donate 25$ and 30 minutes of your time to someone less fortunate during the holiday season.

that being said, if you don't want to do it, tell them that. don't hide behind some bullshit excuse, just say you don't want to.

The only time i've ever donated anything was after that tsunami (or maybe it was 9/11, i dont remember) when they were passing an envelope around class and i didnt want people to think i didnt care so i put in all the change i had in my pocket

$25 gift card at H&M will get you about 70% of one pair of pants

thats a lie.

i get dragged in there frequently when shopping in the mall with my fiance, and they have some cheap clothes that look decent (not my style, but its not like their POS clothes)

Create your own charity fundraiser and put the donation bucket at your desk. When they come by tell them you'll donate to theirs if they donate to yours.

Once it's over, pocket everything you took in.

Then burn in hell for not thinking of the children

Create your own charity fundraiser and put the donation bucket at your desk. When they come by tell them you'll donate to theirs if they donate to yours.

Once it's over, pocket everything you took in.

Then burn in hell for not thinking of the children

That would be some fucked up shit, but it's a pretty funny idea. :)

thats a lie.

i get dragged in there frequently when shopping in the mall with my fiance, and they have some cheap clothes that look decent (not my style, but its not like their POS clothes)

True, couple years ago though they had some ridiculous prices. Recently I've been seeing the prices drop. My gf at the time also dragged me in there. I actually bought a pair of jeans there during the summer for about 30 bucks. They're pretty nice, not faggoty at all.

Just say you have charities you donate to which have personal meaning to them and that across those charities you donate your maximum amount that you can afford. Hopefully you do donate and then you can tell them to which ones and the case is closed.

These drives are run by women, yes.

I have donated cash before for a few charity things here but this direct approach with specifics threw me off.

I am asking how you handle or would handle this stuff in your office.

And I am not going to pretend to be some saint like some of you here who would do this without second thought. God forbid I spend 45+ minutes of my own time going to a mall and do this for some family who had too many children to support and that I will never see.

I gladly contribute to TW, my priorities must just be wrong.

Back