Hockey geeks, critique my gear order

Rooster!

Contributor
Veteran XX
I haven't played ice hockey since freshman year in high school, the summer of which i got my leg horribly mangled and almost amputated playing baseball of all things...outgrew my equipment and just never got back into it since I wasn't able to play sports for two years and wasn't going to make varsity at that point. A month or so back i decided I was sick of working out on a treadmill and whatnot to get my cardio in the winter and dropped about 600 bones on brand new gear and joined a rec league. It's been about 15 years so I had a clue as to what gear was good and it seems to be impossible to find reviews on most shit these days.

This is what I bought, i won't ride it very hard and it's a non hitting league...any input or suggustions?

The only thing I didn't buy yet is a stick since I have an aluminum easton from roller hockey with a brand new blade. I thought it would be dumb to spend 100 bucks on a decent composite since the alum is perfectly servicable and i have a wood backup if i snap it or something along those lines.

Buying a "nutt hutt" jock was the highlight of my order by the way.

For skates I've got Easton Synergy EQ3's

1 Easton
Synergy ST16
Hockey Pants
'10 Model
* Size/Color : Sr-Medium/Black
$79.99

1 CCM Sr. U
Plus Fit 07
Hockey
Equipment
Package
* Shoulder Pad : Sr-Large
* Elbow Pads : Sr-Large
* Shin Guards : 16" (these were out of stock so they upgraded me to reebok 6k shinguard 16" for free)
$141.27

1 CCM Solid
Color Hockey
Socks
* Color : Black
* Size : Adult
$11.00

1 Bauer 5100
Hockey Helmet
* Size/Color : Large/Black
$69.99

1 Bauer 920
Deluxe Senior
Hockey Helmet
Full Shield
w/Cage '09
* Size/Color : Large/Black
$54.99

1 Shock Doctor
Gel Max 6101
Mouth Guard
* Size : Senior
$9.99

1 RBK Sr. 6k
Hockey Neck
Guard
* Size : Senior
$14.99

1 Warrior Nutt
Hutt Ice
Compression
Short With
Cup
* Size : Sr-Large
$35.99

Subtotal: $418.21
Shipping: $4.95*
Tax: $0.00
Total: $423.16

Last edited:
Make sure to put knee pads over your pants because i once put them under my jeans and then my jeans ripped

aww yeah my dick is hard

how tall are you, and do you wear your shinpads under your tongues or over?

i like CCMs protective stuff, esp the shinpads

if you're used to using a 2 piece already, just splurge on a new shaft and then find out which blade you like. i buy vapor x60 shafts in 102 and pair them with the old TPS R8 blades i found on ebay (180 for a set of 10 :))

as long as the skates fit, it doesn't really matter about the other shit

edit: yeah man, you need some gloves

Last edited:
not sure how rec league type stuff works where you live but generally the showers are taken at home, not with your teammates? Either way, I couldn't care any less. I actually do go to the YMCA and it's full of old man sausage 24/7 so this won't be anything new.

the leg got wrecked when i was trying to make a play at third, kid wanted to take me out and drop kicked my above my knee and broke my leg in half, crushed my femoral artery and whatnot and much like humpty dumpty i had to spend 5 1/2 hours in surgery to have it put back together again.

I've played in adult leagues since high school. Based on what I've used and am using now, I'd go with:

Shoulder pads:
Bauer Supreme Classic Hockey Shoulder Pads Sr 10 - Very minimalist and enough for adult league. I wear these ones.

I don't wear a neck guard.

I have this helmet and love it:
Easton Stealth S17 Hockey Helmets

Skates: I have Bauer Vaper X40's - love them.

Shin guards: i have these and would recommend them: Bauer Supreme ONE35 Senior Ice Hockey Shin Guards - Dick's Sporting Goods

I have a pair of hockey pants, only used twice. They are red, I have to check brand. They're large- if you want you can have them for shipping + $10 (they were like $60 new).

aww yeah my dick is hard

how tall are you, and do you wear your shinpads under your tongues or over?

i like CCMs protective stuff, esp the shinpads

if you're used to using a 2 piece already, just splurge on a new shaft and then find out which blade you like. i buy vapor x60 shafts in 102 and pair them with the old TPS R8 blades i found on ebay (180 for a set of 10 :))

as long as the skates fit, it doesn't really matter about the other shit

I should say, i already BOUGHT all this shit, from discounthockey.com actually after getting sized up locally. It's being delivered tomorrow...i saw another hockey post the other day and it made me post this to see if there are any glaring errors before I can't return in.

i'm 6'2, and wear shinpads under tongue...i also forgot to include my gloves, they were just Easton S5's i picked up at Dick's for 60 bucks, nothing special. The rec league i'm starting off in requires full faceguard, but that was why i went 1/2 plexi 1/2 cage on the mask. Once I move up a couple of divisions i'll most likely go 1/2 shield, that's how I played roller hockey.

Last edited:
16" for 6'2" is really long even if you like them long. Plus you skimped on probably the most important piece of equipment, the skates. Why Easton anyway? The Bauer Vapor X:30 is twice the skate of the EQ3 and it's only a few bucks more. You would have done even better if you had gone up to the X:40 or Supreme 180. I think Easton skates are junk personally.

You realize the Hockey neck guard is for goalies right? Other than that not much to say. The helmet you picked is a good choice.

I recommend investing in a better pair of skates and gloves. The value in gloves is feel and weight. Lighter gloves make for quicker hands.

if the skates fit, then he should be good

i have a turtleneck thing with a neckguard in it that i wear sometimes, it doesn't have to be a peewee/goalie one

as far as gloves go, protection, mobility, fit and the palm material are what constitute 'nice' gloves, not necessarily weight. i have some canadian eagle PPFs that i'll never get rid of, just repalmed, although they smell like death

i didnt see a stick

also i'm pretty obsessed with graf skates so i'm a little biased

get compression shorts/jock with a built in velcro thing for socks. i dont wear compression shorts when i play, just the gymshort style cup with velcro

if your helmet and skates fit, thats all that really matters :)
its all personal preference on fit for the other stuff... when i got new pants and gloves last year I got RBK pants and warrior gloves :shrug: they felt the best.

what about your gloves?

I just bought new skates this season... first new pair in over 20 years. Graf 703s. love em!
as for your skates, those will be the first things you will probably replace if you really get back into it.

Evidently I have spindly monkey legs since I got fitted for the shin guards at a hockey shop and they said 16's. From what I can tell after having been off skates for pretty much all of the last 15 years, the Eastons seem OK and if they don't hold up they were only 130 bucks at the time. I also had them baked so I'm not sure if that helped with the fit/feel.

The neckguard was actually a recommended piece of equipment for the league, probably for the same reason they require a full shield. They even recommended wrist guards as well but I thought that was overkill.

only thing i notice is the pants as opposed to shorts

i think for ice shorts tend to be the norm, and pants for roller

and neck guard is overkill imo but it's your money ;]

Back