Hip me 2 ur external drive suggestions

nada

Veteran X
I need one to store my movies and TV eps. Thinking like 2TB. Doesn't need to be fancy, just looking for something from a reliable manufacturer that won't fail on me.

Then I need another that I can use for video files during editing and grading (prores and raw codecs). I don't have a Mac so looking for 3.0 options. Obvi I need speed but not looking to break the bank for the fastest spins of all time. So kind of a faster, yet comparably affordable, and still reliable option.

Plz give me your knowledges, TW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took me 6 months to back up all my data to my web space. I did this a couple years ago on Bellsouth, only got 30kps on my upload because that's as fast as my ISP would go. And the files timed out if they were huge. Once I switched to Comcast, then my upload speed went to 1mpbs, and I went back through all my folders and uploaded large files (videos). Now they send you a disk to make things easy.

you want an external drive to do video editing work? dont care if its usb 3, that sounds like a horrible idea. what about an ssd? dunno if there might be a reason not to use an ssd for video work, but i think the new ones are just fine even with a ton of writes they won't wear out

but as for just storage of media, if you want something external just get a western digital or seagate. I prefer WD

This is our 2TB external network drive. Fuck what folks say about it because it wasn't over priced and has given us zero problems despite the fact we use it alot. It's full of movies and pretty much everything a geek could want. It's in Mike's room but I can use it here in my room and he can use it in the living room or when he is using his touch screen Dell XPS in his room. Sometimes I chill on the patio and use it with my Dell tablet. Hell if I wanted to I could connect it to my cell phone. Also it came with a 3 year warranty. Install is simple. Just do not install the bloatware that comes with it like most devices try to get you to install. I totally recommend.

Amazon - Iomega 2 TB Media Network Edition External Hard Drive

iqlggh.jpg

Also I recommend the 2TB Seagate Backup Plus External sitting on my desk here in my room. Folks talk shit about Seagate but the fucking thing has given me no problems at all.

Amazon - Seagate Backup Plus 2TB USB 3.0 Black Desktop

fnzkfd.jpg

Last edited:
Mine works no prob. Sucks yours died. Even if mine does die I have everything backed up in my Amazon Cloud anyway so I wont lose any data. The yearly price Amazon charges is worth it.

you want an external drive to do video editing work? dont care if its usb 3, that sounds like a horrible idea. what about an ssd? dunno if there might be a reason not to use an ssd for video work, but i think the new ones are just fine even with a ton of writes they won't wear out

but as for just storage of media, if you want something external just get a western digital or seagate. I prefer WD

well obvi id want an ssd, but idk if ur familiar with RAW as a video codec but its high quality/massive file size, so id need a ton of space for my longform video projets, and on SSD that's way more money than im willing to spend.

mac users have it easier with thunderbolt on external HHD, which is why i specified 3.0 as my only real option. that said i dont know a lot of fast drives so i come 2 u

my iomega one that you just posted died and it was supposed to be raid 1. Fail

yeah so heres the thing. i always read product reviews and even though i get stuff thats positively reviewed, non-wd have a ton of ppl in the 1-2 star range that complain their shit fails. such disorienting.

you guys are fucking hoarders, Jesus Christ

there's no reason you need 2 TB of anything

it just makes you feel good to look over a long list of media files, 99% of which you will never watch, just like these fat weirdos who save and collect everything in their house and end up living in a trash pile

shave your neckbeards already you virgins

Avoid the cloud based drives at all costs. There are some serious exploits going around and after reading/hearing, I'm staying away from them. It sucks too because I'd love to get away from dropbox for accessing online.

yeah throw away all ur CDs and DVDs fuckin waste the MP3s get rid of everything u fuckin mouthbreathin babydix!

im so fuckin cooooool mraahh

Avoid the cloud based drives at all costs. There are some serious exploits going around and after reading/hearing, I'm staying away from them. It sucks too because I'd love to get away from dropbox for accessing online.

ya i dont fuck with the cloud like that

Took me 6 months to back up all my data to my web space. I did this a couple years ago on Bellsouth, only got 30kps on my upload because that's as fast as my ISP would go. And the files timed out if they were huge. Once I switched to Comcast, then my upload speed went to 1mpbs, and I went back through all my folders and uploaded large files (videos). Now they send you a disk to make things easy.

last night i was too lazy to google this post but i knew it was ngfm

NAILED IT

frankly I'm not surprised, aren't you the one who put a video up of him and his friends LARPing Harry Potter?

Back