Heroic Fail...

Feannag

Veteran XV
Healing for H-HoS (farming badges) and I get a group of people pretty much in all 245/251s and all melee. Get the Kystallus (Gruul Jr.) and the gear was immune against the onslaught of stupid. All four run back into a clusterfuck after being knocked back, shatter comes and WHAM! Everyone's dead.

Everyone took about 68K in damage (each) from the shatter, your ICC epics get curb-stomped by a heroic 5-man mechanic.

Sounds like all those SWP 'achievement' pugs that fail.

Honestly it's the first time I ever seen it happen, and I remember a lot of annoyance tanking heroics when Naxx/EoE was end-game and people doing heroics were mostly in 178 - 187 blues. And even then that item level is assuming they were working at getting geared for heroics, usually you had people in 168 - 175 greens/blues.

I just found it amusing all that OP'd ICC-10 gear wasn't enough to prevent wiping due to simple knowledge of mechanics. And yeah, since I was away from everyone else I only dealt about 4K to each person. the other four did about 16K to each other.

Honestly it's the first time I ever seen it happen, and I remember a lot of annoyance tanking heroics when Naxx/EoE was end-game and people doing heroics were mostly in 178 - 187 blues. And even then that item level is assuming they were working at getting geared for heroics, usually you had people in 168 - 175 greens/blues.

I just found it amusing all that OP'd ICC-10 gear wasn't enough to prevent wiping due to simple knowledge of mechanics. And yeah, since I was away from everyone else I only dealt about 4K to each person. the other four did about 16K to each other.

Good thing you were knowledgeable enough to know how to avoid taking damage. It saved you from not dying. The game mechanics would have killed your character, but they didn't.

I saw it happen all the time. Just because people learn ICC bosses, doesn't mean they ever did gruul in TBC. It's a fight mechanic that people either learn or they don't. Look at the next boss in that place. The maiden of sarrow or w/e. like 95 out of 100 people don't know to jump in the shadow AoE 1 second before the stun.

The REAL question is; If everyone one was in ICC gear, how the hell did that boss not die before the first shatter? Sounds like they don't know how to play their classes either.

Good thing you were knowledgeable enough to know how to avoid taking damage. It saved you from not dying. The game mechanics would have killed your character, but they didn't.

Oh no it DID kill me, Shatter affects everyone. I was kinda hoping someone would have called me a fail healer for not healing through everyone taking ~68K damage simultaneously.

The REAL question is; If everyone one was in ICC gear, how the hell did that boss not die before the first shatter? Sounds like they don't know how to play their classes either.

Very true, I was too busy keeping everyone alive. I just heal and cross my fingers they kill it before I OOM twice (once for innverate). The other night I bailed on a group with a warlock in half 251 and half 264 barely pulling 2.2K in a heroic.

Last edited:
Shatter affects everyone in range of the person being shattered. Yes, if everyone is in range of eachother, it'll effect everyone. I'd just run away from anyone moving towards me. Oh, and don't stand in LoS of melee, so when they get knocked back, they don't land on or anywhere near you.

Oh no it DID kill me, Shatter affects everyone. I was kinda hoping someone would have called me a fail healer for not healing through everyone taking ~68K damage simultaneously.

Very true, I was too busy keeping everyone alive. I just heal and cross my fingers they kill it before I OOM twice (once for innverate). The other night I bailed on a group with a warlock in half 251 and half 264 barely pulling 2.2K in a heroic.
If shatter hit you as a healer than you failed just as bad as they did. If you spread out you don't take damage. I had a similar group just this morning on my druid with some pisspoor DPS and shatter killed 4 people in the group. Since I was away from them I lived with about 20k hp and killed the boss before he got into melee range and raped me.

If you're going OOM as a healer and not due to boredom and just DPS'ing instead of healing, you're doing it wrong.

^
lol. I never understood that mentality with people forming raids either. It would be far more telling to actually look up their gear on armory, and see if they know how to spec/gem/enchant thier character. Asking for GS is proof of a RL who doesn't know wtf he's doing.

It offends me on a personal level that people don't know the fight mechanics of every fight in the game.

If shatter hit you as a healer than you failed just as bad as they did. If you spread out you don't take damage. I had a similar group just this morning on my druid with some pisspoor DPS and shatter killed 4 people in the group. Since I was away from them I lived with about 20k hp and killed the boss before he got into melee range and raped me.

If you're going OOM as a healer and not due to boredom and just DPS'ing instead of healing, you're doing it wrong.

You fail at understanding game mechanics, we all went from full to dead. Its radius range is listed at 100 yards. There is no possible way I could avoid a 4-cluster shatter and maintain healing, the proximity to each other affects the end damage and how far you personally are doesn't matter because you will all take the same damage based on it. So if you get 4 clusterfuckers and the shatter happens (because all they ran back in after the stomp) then you'll be fucked either way.

And for the record my gear is presently enough to do ToC-25 and moderately close to doing ICC-10 so it wasn't my gear either.

You fail at understanding game mechanics, we all went from full to dead. Its radius range is listed at 100 yards. There is no possible way I could avoid a 4-cluster shatter and maintain healing, the proximity to each other affects the end damage and how far you personally are doesn't matter because you will all take the same damage based on it. So if you get 4 clusterfuckers and the shatter happens (because all they ran back in after the stomp) then you'll be fucked either way.

And for the record my gear is presently enough to do ToC-25 and moderately close to doing ICC-10 so it wasn't my gear either.

The radius range means that the shatter effect happens up to 100 yards away. If you were 100 yards away, your teammates would get hit for 16k and you'd get hit for around 1.

You deal damage to allies proportional to your range from them. The way you're describing it, two people standing next to each other would deal 8k damage to themselves and every other person in the room who is within 100 yards, obviously not correct.

The radius range means that the shatter effect happens up to 100 yards away. If you were 100 yards away, your teammates would get hit for 16k and you'd get hit for around 1.

You deal damage to allies proportional to your range from them. The way you're describing it, two people standing next to each other would deal 8k damage to themselves and every other person in the room who is within 100 yards, obviously not correct.

I doubt it, unless you can find something to prove otherwise. Everyone was 98%+ (including me) and I was a good 20 - 25 yards away from the cluster fuck. Pretty sure if what you say is true I wouldn't have taken in excess of 17K at that distance. But I did.

I doubt it, unless you can find something to prove otherwise. Everyone was 98%+ (including me) and I was a good 20 - 25 yards away from the cluster fuck. Pretty sure if what you say is true I wouldn't have taken in excess of 17K at that distance. But I did.
If you were 25 yards away you might have taken 1k damage worse-case. If you're taking 17k damage then either you're stacked on them or they're stacked on you (just like the real Gruul). 100 yards is the spell radius, not how far apart you must be to avoid taking damage.

When healing I normally don't have to heal anyone but the tank unless melee are retarded and hug each other on shatter. The encounter has been around for a year and a half since we all hit 80, I must be doing it wrong since I've always exploited the "spread out and you don't kill other people" bug that only works for everyone in the game but you.

You know the shit sucks when people refer to gear by the item level.

The game is overrun by this "Gear Score" faggotry, and it's fucking paraded through the streets by these mouthbreathing retards that think somehow your item levels pertain to your skill.

I'm consistently shitting on people's DPS with gear far and above mine simply because I'm not a complete retard.

It's easy to prove otherwise. If 4 people are clustered in Gruul's Lair, does every single person in the room die during shatter?

Did you ever do Gruul? If you did, then you'd know this answer.

Back