Help TW, what should I major in?

Tvoi_Mat

Banned
I'm thinking somewhere in the school of business and management.

Actuarial Science
Business Management
Economics
Entrepreneurship
Finance
Human Resource Management
International Business Administration
Management Information Systems
Marketing

THEY ALL LOOK SO GOOD.

ps. I'm currently a psychology major and I need out.

Doesn't matter. You'll get a job that has nothing to do with your major anyways.
Correct. The degree just opens doors and gets you more money.

Don't go into MIS, or IT. The field sucks, only the CEOs make money, you need to know 10 acronyms to get a job, you have to deal with SOX if it's a public company, and most are getting degrees in completely different fields.

Entrepreneurship sounds the best, because you'll learn how to write up a business plan, and make contracts with a partner so you get 50% of the company you start. That's what you wanna be doing in college, finding a partner you can start a business with.

Those have got to be the worst choices you could possibly have. By worst I mean fucking kill yourself.

Finance or Accounting with Business Management minor

It's what the HR people are told by their bosses to look for. It's also what the owners of smaller firms majored in if they aren't engineering or architecture related businesses. Your major is what you use to get yourself in the door to get your first job, not what you do for life.

Finance or Accounting with Business Management minor

It's what the HR people are told by their bosses to look for. It's also what the owners of smaller firms majored in if they aren't engineering or architecture related businesses. Your major is what you use to get yourself in the door to get your first job, not what you do for life.

Finance or Accounting are two great majors for that first job. Between the two, accounting is preferred, although finance might be a more enjoyable experience.
With accounting your range of potential jobs is larger. You will find that most finance jobs will also accept accounting majors, but not vica versa.

That being said, I'm planning on majoring in economics. If I want to go into finance, I will consider an MBA or a number of the credentials that can be achieved without getting a degree (CFA, CFP, etc.) I'd rather have a broader base and then specialize as I go on.

Back