hello, I'm a PC

I take it you've never had a component in your system die before. Onboard peripherals break just as often as everything else. Why do you think I had to search for those dlink dge530t drivers today? If you plan on keeping the system for any good length of time, this chance increases. This is factual stuff and is anything but ridiculous.
"Factual stuff," I like that term. But you keep on saying these things like it only happens on Macs. Don't you think PCs will break too? If you go through the original manufacturer, it's going to cost you a lot of money and that goes for every in house repair.
By the way, onboard ethernet DOES use the cpu, meaning there WILL be a performance increase if you get a pci one (though a rather small increase).
More like insignificant. But hey, you have to find a flaw in it just because it's Apple, yeah?
If I were to go and install windows on a mac, what would be the purpose of having the mac? Did I pay that extra money for the added prettyness?
That's fucking priceless.

The guy tells me you can't install Windows on a Mac, you can't play games and you can't run the same programs. I tell him, "Install Windows."

Now he's asking me why I would install Windows on a Mac. You have the option to have both operating systems. Which you can't do natively on other computers.
Why can't you agree that there's a ton of things you can not do with OSX? Why can't you agree that, if you were going to go and run Windows, you might as well get a PC since it'll cost less?
It's going to cost less because it's going to do one less thing.
You still have yet to show me a reason why to purchase a mac
I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy a Mac.

I'm merely arguing with people who keep on ardently saying "Macs suck" for no real reason.
while I have provided many reasons why to purchase a PC.
I'm sure it's real convincing stuff.
you still can't do everything a PC can do unless you turn the mac into a Windows PC (which will just be a really expensive PC).
200$ more to have the option to boot in either Windows or OS X natively at will is worth it to some people. You will be able to do everything a PC and everything a Mac can.

Also, there will be a 3D version of parallels toward the end of the year; can you say gaming in a virtualized OS?

I'm getting tired of Windows, and i know how to use a computer. I know how to protect myself, i know how and what to do if a problem occurs, i've built and managed several computers over my life.

The selling point of me wanting to get a Mac was the new dual core intel processors & bootcamp/parallels.

Like the faggots in the commercial says, "There really isn't a need for anything else".

It's not about price, it's about choice.

The one thing that scares me is non-native software running poorly on the new core duo. I'm not up to snuff on mac software, what software are people primarily talking about when they speak of rosetta making things run slower since its not native?

Anything not universal binary will have to be translated through Rosetta. Some of the ones most people will use would be Adobe CS2 suite and Office 2004. If I remember correctly, all Pro level applications are UB by now.

I did a side by side launch of Photoshop and InDesign on a 2.0 GHz Core Duo MacBook and a 2.0 GHz G5 iMac. The G5 launched both applications faster. However, once the programs get loaded and once the instructions are all cached in the memory, the gap is much closer. Under regular use, it is more than acceptable.

To be noted, the iMac had a 7200 RPM drive while the MacBook is 5400 RPM.

By the looks of it, all the reviews i've read are saying to wait on purchasing the new core duo iMacs.

They say that rosetta sucks with other software, ect ect.

My main Q is with bootcamp, how does it run software such as PShop, Maya, ect?

Are the updates they're saying to wait for software, or hardware? Is there going to be a new iMac or just a software update?

God...i'm not mac savvy when it comes to its intel technical shit, i'm used to G5's.

By the looks of it, all the reviews i've read are saying to wait on purchasing the new core duo iMacs.

They say that rosetta sucks with other software, ect ect.

My main Q is with bootcamp, how does it run software such as PShop, Maya, ect?

Are the updates they're saying to wait for software, or hardware? Is there going to be a new iMac or just a software update?

God...i'm not mac savvy when it comes to its intel technical shit, i'm used to G5's.

Bootcamp == dual booting OS X and Windows (with Mac drivers for Windows). Yes, your programs will all work, but you have to switch OSs, so it's a pain. You can always download Parallels, though it won't work well with 3d apps like Maya.

Bootcamp == dual booting OS X and Windows (with Mac drivers for Windows). Yes, your programs will all work, but you have to switch OSs, so it's a pain. You can always download Parallels, though it won't work well with 3d apps like Maya.

I know what bootcamp and parallels are, i know the differences...

my question comes with are there going to be hardware updates (as in a new imac, the mac i was looking at getting)

Or software, as in a new OS version, or updates for rosetta

Or just software - as in new software that's universal will roll out over time.

I didn't read the article so I don't know which updates they are talking about.

If they meant hardware update, yes the iMacs have the possibility of being fitted with Merom processors soon. That's Core 2 Duo, 64-bit. Wait, I meant Conroe.

We're talking about 30% more processing power. Is it going to make a huge difference, probably not. Will it be faster? Yes, but not significantly until everything is optimized.

If they meant software, OS X 10.5 will be out in 2007 and feature better virtualization of Windows. I don't care much for it so I didnt' read any of the details from this week's WWDC.

Adobe CS3 is slated for 2007, as I have said earlier.

Eh, i may just keep my pc :-/, i don't know if i want to let several hundred go on something that i wasn't 100% sure the differences were, expecially if its new shit that's not stable yet.

eh.

The one thing that scares me is non-native software running poorly on the new core duo. I'm not up to snuff on mac software, what software are people primarily talking about when they speak of rosetta making things run slower since its not native?

This is what scared me too. I work as an artist... Adobe's line of products are essential to me. When I was in the Apple store looking to buy this Macbook Pro, I told the guy I heard about Photoshop not running very well in Rosetta, and I said as nice as these laptops were I wouldn't buy one until I could try Photoshop on it. Well, one machine had it running, and it ran fine for me. I'm not going to sugar coat it, it runs a lot shittier than it could, but it honestly runs better in Rosetta than the performance I was getting on my old desktop PC (haven't upgraded in years). When I upped the ram to 2gb, I couldn't notice any slowdown at all... and when Adobe finally releases the next version of Creative Suite with universal support in the spring, Photoshop will seriously run so fast on this laptop it might catch fire. Or something like that.

But yeah, if software you rely on isnt universal yet, test it out before you'd consider getting one, because it is definately slower. From what I hear, Video programs like After Effects, for example, aren't worth your time right now.

Last edited:
Ok, you need to shut the fuck up now.

Mac's entire current campaign is how a mac is NOTHING like a PC, because PCs are inept, and can't do fun things.

The major points brought up in this thread:

1) Cost

2) Lack of Software

3) Annoying users

Now that a mac uses the same platform as the PC, the cost has gotten a lot better. However, upgrades are a pain in the ass. I had a mac mini for awhile, loved OSX, but in order to upgrade the memory, you needed a putty knife and some sort of tweezers/needlenose pliars. Are any of the "bargain" macs easier to get into?

You've admitted that Mac will never approach the kind of software base that Windows offers. That's just the way it is. Game developers continue to write for Windows, with a few exceptions.

And as far as annoying users, that certainly seems to be the case. The Mac Elite are some of the most voracious zealots I've ever come into contact with.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is: Shut the fuck up about your god-like Mac. Sure, they're decent machines and the prices aren't nearly as bad as they were. I still don't care. Maybe someday when my laptop dies, I'll get a macbook. Who knows? Shut up, shut up, shut up.

You cry a lot, really...If you want a mac, get a mac, if you want a PC, get a pc. I would use a mac (and I do/have) for anything graphical over a PC anyday. I've used both extensively and the mac is by far superior in that aspect. The Mac and PC are both have their pros and cons. I don't see why you have to your panties in a bunch

Last edited:
I'm in a wide variety of programs, most of which tended to slow down the lab's Quad (when i was in school)

Final Cut, Maya, Photoshop, After Effects are what i mainly use.\

Also read that peripherals don't work as well either on some occasions, as in i would want to use the apple keyboard, but my "Microsoft Blue Optical Mouse" because i hate apple mice. I read that some don't even work :-/

I think i might make a trip to CompUsa to try out a core duo imac.

There's a 180$ rebate for ipods if you get certain macs before sept 16th, that interest me but i dont want to be rushed into getting something so expensive.

I'm in a wide variety of programs, most of which tended to slow down the lab's Quad (when i was in school)

Final Cut, Maya, Photoshop, After Effects are what i mainly use.\

Also read that peripherals don't work as well either on some occasions, as in i would want to use the apple keyboard, but my "Microsoft Blue Optical Mouse" because i hate apple mice. I read that some don't even work :-/

I think i might make a trip to CompUsa to try out a core duo imac.

There's a 180$ rebate for ipods if you get certain macs before sept 16th, that interest me but i dont want to be rushed into getting something so expensive.

Umm, all 3 button mice work with anything that is post OS9 and they have a driver you can dl to fix that issue regardless.

The Mac is more expensive, but in notebook form, I've had better results with mac for both stability/durability. I use a PC to game and beyond that, I'd use a mac for everything else. At this point and time, the mac is with my bro and I can do all my gfx on a PC but it would be so much smoother on a mac.

Well Im using a microsoft mouse right now with mine for the same reason, Apple mice are weird. Dunno about that exact mouse though.

Well, Final Cut will scream on the machine, I'm sure. The Adobe programs will be slower than they should be, and I have no idea about Maya.

But yeah, you really gotta try the programs out yourself on the machines. If it's something you use day in day out, (like photoshop for me) it has to run at a level you're comfortable with otherwise you'll go nuts.

Back