Heading for Hanoi, Recommendations?

Morganstern

Veteran XV
The wife and I are heading to Hanoi in a week and a half for a week. I've got some of the basic shit down (you know, see a Ho and then head for Halong). Just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. We would head for the highlands, but don't have enough time so Sapa's out. Anything around Hanoi would be cool. We're spending the last three days in Halong Bay and on Cat Ba island, so it'd just be around Hanoi. What say you?

cat ba island is fucking beautiful.
get in touch with "slopony" in there. (they have an office above a restaurant in there).
you can't miss slo, he's the only big nigger in the whole place :D
Also good places to eat -> green mango restaraunts (especially the one in cat ba island).

best rock climbing in vietnam if you're down for that, also hiking, kayaking those beautiful waters etc. Might wanna go out for one night in those beautiful islands around cat ba (tiger island, monkey island... ) or just take a boat cruise.

In hanoi buy some suits or dresses, they'll make them in a few days for ridiculously cheap.

You guys are hilarious. Denver, thanks for the advice. I'm really looking forward to Cat Ba, though still haven't figured out how I'm getting there after the Halong bay cruise.

it's a little outside of hanoi, but if you're into history / war stuff, then you should check out the cuchi (sp?) tunnels.

pretty cool to see some of their booby traps, and just how intricate / small some of the vietcong tunnels were. i think there's a shooting range at the end where you can fire a bunch of different wwII / vietnam era weapons at $1 a round.

probably not worth it unless you've never fired an M60 before.

Yeah, I am into the history/war aspect. I'd like to have a month in Vietnam to go down south and all. Oh well, maybe next time. I'll check out the info on Cuchi.

a little out of Hanoi?

That's equivalent to saying Vancouver is a little out of LA.

good place to see though, put it on the go back and do list

You guys are hilarious. Denver, thanks for the advice. I'm really looking forward to Cat Ba, though still haven't figured out how I'm getting there after the Halong bay cruise.

there's bunch of speed boats from all over the halong bay coast that will take you there dirt cheap and in about 1.5 hours.

Yeah, I am into the history/war aspect. I'd like to have a month in Vietnam to go down south and all. Oh well, maybe next time. I'll check out the info on Cuchi.

there's also old cave military base of the vietcon on the cat ba island that served as field hospital. cool stuff if you wanna see how your countrymen ravaged the locals. rent a scooter for a day or two on cat ba not much traffic and small enough island not to get lost :D

Back