[HDTV]1080p Content

both HDDVD and Blu-ray drives are out.

HDMI outputs...i dont think there are 1080p hddvds yet though?

blu-ray discs are...but br is more expensive.

all the reviews of the blu-ray drives+ media that i have read have been pretty terrible. apparently whatever encoding they used sucks ass. I was suprised to hear that actually, I thought it would have been the same as HD-DVD.

1080p is just a gimmick.

DMAUL said:
both HDDVD and Blu-ray drives are out.

HDMI outputs...i dont think there are 1080p hddvds yet though?

blu-ray discs are...but br is more expensive.

When did Bluray come out? I didn't think it was gonna have a market release until around the PS3 came out. Crazy. Either way every time I go into the DVD section of any number of stores, I can't find Bluray or HDDVDs anywhere.

Wonder how long it'll be before we have a winner. Hopefuly soon.

Breadman86 said:
When did Bluray come out? I didn't think it was gonna have a market release until around the PS3 came out. Crazy. Either way every time I go into the DVD section of any number of stores, I can't find Bluray or HDDVDs anywhere.

Wonder how long it'll be before we have a winner. Hopefuly soon.

blu-ray drive has been out for about a month now. list price is $999 I believe.

Got Haggis? said:
all the reviews of the blu-ray drives+ media that i have read have been pretty terrible. apparently whatever encoding they used sucks ass. I was suprised to hear that actually, I thought it would have been the same as HD-DVD.

1080p is just a gimmick.

A compliant BD-ROM player must be able to decode at least the following codecs: MPEG-2, the standard used for DVDs; MPEG-4's H.264/AVC codec; and VC-1, a codec based on Microsoft's Windows Media 9. Realistically, when using MPEG-2, quality considerations would limit the publisher to around two hours of high-definition content on a single-layer BD-ROM. The two more advanced video codecs can typically attain four hours of high quality video.

they are in mpeg2, the same as hddvds, but single layer BDs are smaller than hddvds. that accounts for the currently lower quality. but, future bds will probably NOT be in mpeg2.

h264 (mpeg 4) with the proper encode time (weeks on a consumer pc) is very high quality. i dont think they'd skimp on compression for movies. h264 can even be lossless.

Like most people, I will not buy HD-DVD or Blu-Ray until they hash out which one is going to go away. Greedy fucking industry...a colossal fuckup on a scale like this is built on an industrial-sized ego. On top of it all, both formats are copy-crippled out of the box.

And don't get me started on HDTV. It's all about controlling the content stream, disguised as "higher quality". :rolleyes:

most "experts" agree that neither one will go away. We are going to be stuck with two different standards this time, it won't be like betamax and vhs.

Got Haggis? said:
most "experts" agree that neither one will go away. We are going to be stuck with two different standards this time, it won't be like betamax and vhs.

that'd be the suckiest thing ever. especially if certain movies only came out on one or the other. if that's the case... hopefuly the companies that have sided with one standard or the other will break and just do both.

Got Haggis? said:

Those experts are idiots. People won't buy two standards. All that will do is give 50% of the market to both. And if I want a movie on a disc, I will get it as a consumer. You can't expect the people putting out the discs to let that slide.

i think in the 12-24month term you are probably right Haggis, but in the 48 month time frame and longer one format is going to have to take precident, the market won't tolerate dual formats.

hell, by then we may just all download all our content on our fiber DS3's to our house.

Got Haggis? said:
players will come out that play both formats

Both discs, and all the DVDs and their codec types? Good lord, players are just gonna get more and more and more confusing. Especially when you start making them that burn every single version and have a VHS attached.

Simple is better.

Back