HBO - True Detective

i've got a news flash for you mother theresa. just because you spent most of your time in the missionary position, doesnt make you a missionary.

Which is pretty pointless since HBO airs reruns pretty much every day on multiple channels, people have DVRs and there's always HBO Go. There's really no reason not to air it.
Neilsen doesn't count the ratings for rebroadcasts.

I jsut saw the intro for this on HBO in teh hotel room and gave it a pass now I wish I had watched it but I think I would be joining the party late

Neilsen doesn't count the ratings for rebroadcasts.
they're counted, just counted separately i thought

they were counted all together for a bit, and then nbc fucked with their advertising #s with a season debut of heroes

edit: nielsen tracks the viewings of tivo & certain other dvrs as well

Last edited:
I jsut saw the intro for this on HBO in teh hotel room and gave it a pass now I wish I had watched it but I think I would be joining the party late

There's only been 3 episodes, you can catch up e-z

Did i miss the revelation as to why woody's and mm's characters are about 10 years older in the interview scenes?

There's only been 3 episodes, you can catch up e-z

Did i miss the revelation as to why woody's and mm's characters are about 10 years older in the interview scenes?

spoilers up to the last episode

Spoiler

Well shows on network television have to contend with advertising sales, and they probably can't lure many advertisers to spend the typical amounts when a show is up against a superbowl or holiday, but HBO is a subscriber based network so there's little point to postponing.

umm theres a huge reason to postpone

its the same reason video games are released on tuesday

it all comes down to tracking #s/ratings. especially with only 8 episodes, if you take a hit on one episode then it can really affect the average viewers of the series. in the #'s game

on the heels of breaking bad, competing with the circle jerk house of cards is getting, the inevitable comparisons with boardwalk empire, every show relies on nielsen numbers but the circumstances surrounding niche shows like this one make them even more important

edit: nielsen tracks the viewings of tivo & certain other dvrs as well

Spoiler

im not 100% on this, but i think for years nielsen tried to track dvr/rebroadcast ratinngs but put those numbers into a dif score, c3/c7 according to wiki. obviously the numbers ppl care about are when episodes first air. in november nielsen released software that allows channels to track who is dvr'ing their shows and possibly incorporate them into the numbers when episodes first air. as far as i can tell they have yet to incorporate records/rebroadcastings into their official numbers

Last edited:
they're counted, just counted separately i thought
Networks are only concerned with what numbers a show generates on premiere night. If you count repeats you have a good chance of counting the same household twice. Advertisers want to reach more unique households, not the same household multiple times. Even though subscription channels like HBO and Showtime don't have advertisers those unique households still equate to subscribers they can't afford to lose (or count twice).

I'm enjoying this show but the clarity of dialogue is awful. Both characters seem to mumble at a low volume much of the time. I'm tempted to throw on subtitles every time I watch.

dialog is on center channel, so jack that one up a bit. doing that has eliminated my dialog-hearing problems

I usually wait till next day to watch, So I can watch with subtitles,
The dialogue is a pain. Subtitles bother me, but the woman can't understand half the show because of the mumbling drawl. I don't understand why it takes a whole day for sub's, isn't it ripped from the cc feed of the show?

Back