Has the internet made things better?

Fling

Veteran XX
One of the things I like about this community is that we all kind of grew up with computers and the internet. However, I think most of us can probably remember what things were like before the internet too. Certainly in a way, that those who are 20 today don't know. I was thinking about this the other day, and it is without question that technology and the internet have greatly impacted my life. And that is ok.

However, is my life better today because of the internet?

I am certainly a more efficient consumer because of the internet. Truly, what value has the internet, or technology added to your life? I'm sure there are things that I am not thinking of.

Anyway, this is where I'm at, doesn't change anything for me yet, but just where my head is at. Curious if any of the TW folks are here too? Could I go internet free, like I did with cable? drop the smart phone?!
Fling :D

yes, the internet made things much, much better

then web2.0 came out and now humanity is fucking doomed

i do know this

the internet is much faster on an intel core i7/i9 wow amd just doesnt compare

Before the internet:
1. We were able to get quality tools.
2. We could have a conversation without spell/grammar check.
3. No one had peanut allergies
4. Minimum wage wasn’t meant to be a living wage
5. Social Security money collected was for social security
6. M in MTV stood for Music

After the Internet:
1. Online gaming
2. YouTube video tutorials for everything
3. eBay and Amazon
4. Goatse
5. Cuck
6. Incel
7. Wailing sand filled vaginas everywhere

Boom!

Life, in part, is about choices. Who you listen to, how you process information.
You need to govern and understand all parts of your life.

If you believe in amor fati, it doesn't matter - it's all good - the good or the bad.

The bottom line with the internet is that our brains are not developed to handle all the news of the world all at one time. Especially bad news. It is only within the last 25 years that we began to be exposed to everything at once. Of course, we have the ability to tune it out. Often we don't. That's up to individual choice.

In general, If I was to vote - I would say that it has not been good for humans who use it too much. For those people who think it's the greatest thing, it probably is not. As we develop further, we will see if humans are capable of using it in a manner that is healthy. For the moment, I think it has driven people further apart. It has stopped people from interacting. It has caused people to stop exploring and traveling. It has stopped people from thinking. It has stopped people from learning to navigate and learning their surroundings. It has stopped people from basic, human activities.

Perhaps we will learn to make it more valuable. We should have learned some lessons. I believe the majority of people who use it do so recklessly. Good question :)

Last edited:
South Park had some great episodes about ads taking over the planet. There is a lot of truth behind that. Greed ruins almost everything. It is certainly a difficult truth in a free market. There are not many laws associated with it and ethics are like the wild, wild west. People need to wake up and know when something is bad for them and take action. At this point in time, I have a hunch that the internet is probably already responsible directly and indirectly for more deaths than cigarettes.

In general, If I was to vote - I would say that it has not been good for humans who use it too much. For those people who think it's the greatest thing, it probably is not. As we develop further, we will see if humans are capable for using it. For the moment, I think it has driven people further apart. It has stopped people from interacting. It has caused people to stop exploring and traveling. It has stopped people from thinking. It has stopped people from learning to navigate and learning their surroundings. It has stopped people from basic, human activities.

I would guess that most of us here use the internet too much. We all did it way too much, from way too early. I feel like I'm beginning to peel back the behaviors that I adopted in my late teens and part of that is recognizing that there isn't much value online, or rather, not much value outside of your own local community. Perhaps that is too far in the other direction.

I think back to the card/comic shop I used to frequent in like 95 and how that type of business isn't possible today, because that guy can't make a living selling that stuff. However, it's not the business model that I miss, it was the community that existed around the store. It has been replaced by an online community, which just isn't the same. Knowing that all of you guys like playing tribes isn't the same as lanning it up with your buddies. Totally different levels of community and interaction.

South Park had some great episodes about ads taking over the planet. There is a lot of truth behind that. Greed ruins almost everything. It is certainly a difficult truth in a free market. There are not many laws associated with it and ethics are like the wild, wild west. People need to wake up and know when something is bad for them and take action. At this point in time, I have a hunch that the internet is probably already responsible directly and indirectly for more deaths than cigarettes.

isolation, diabetes? What do you mean?

A general malaise creeps in. Before the internet, we all knew there were monsters out there. But you rarely saw them. With the internet, the images and information can be stored forever and it doesn't go away. It's on-demand 24-7 monstrosity if you want it. The volume can be turned up to 11 for so long and then 11 seems like 5. So, we find a way to raise the bar again. All that can ruin a normal life and make people envision the world as a horrible place.

Maybe it's time for network segmentation based on content. Turn the internet into "channels". Sure, you can pick open network segmentation but I think some people would opt in to an internet crafted for content. Then again, it's possible to do it yourself.

g4xVMCv.jpg

isolation, diabetes? What do you mean?

Yeah - stuff like that. Depression from having pictures of your ex's happy life right in front of the face, bullying, comparing yourself to others, getting fired from something on the net and committing suicide over it - that kind of shit.

internet almost definitely yes, smartphones probably not

just owning a smartphone feels like a giant invasion of my privacy, i hate the idea that i'm weird if i don't want to answer texts 24/7 or would rather type a two paragraph email than exchange sentence fragments for 2 hours. i also think texting instead of talking has dumbed down people's relationships, because you're not ever fully engaged in a 1-on-1 conversation.

a few months ago my dad was showing me an old photobook from my grandfather's war days, and in it were a few letters he'd written his family. he wrote a letter every day, and the ones in there were four or five pages each. based on how well ppl i know are able to register emails longer than one sentence, i have a hard time believing modern people could express themselves that fluently. this is just effort posting me, but i think there is something seriously wrong with the internal life of someone who is most comfortable communicating in snippets of partially computer generated text. and that goes for everyone alive today using smartphones, boomers roomers doomers zoomers and xoomers alike.

hey that was actually a true my dad and me story

i remember what it was like when u had to look shit up at the library, or ask around for driving directions, was forced to listen to the fucking radio, or had to make 10 phone calls in a vain effort to try and organize people to go out, and when someone had to be designated driver or you'd have to call and wait for a cab if you were going out drinking.

fuck all that shit

the internet has made it way easier to meet up with people, to do and see more things in real life, and enjoy life more in general.

Maps :)

I always carried one of these:
iu

And in the jeep, one of these for the states I lived in:
s-l1000.jpg

i remember driving from cleveland 2 myrtle beach, then 2 knoxville n back 2 cleveland purely on memory

fuk me

The internet was great.. then smart phones came out and now every retard can afford to be online with a $200 device.

Back