[GUNS] AR purchased, time for a range pistol.

I'd like to be clear, a range gun and a competition gun are really two different things.

Range guns, you don't care if holsters are available for it. You don't care how big it is. You don't care about capacity. You want something that is fun to shoot, inexpensive and comfortable.

For competition, you COULD have a range gun act as a competition gun, but you'd be hurting yourself, points wise.

Let's discuss competition (I'm mainly talking IDPA here). There are two main reasons why people shoot IDPA. First, they have a concealed pistol license, and want to practice the mechanics of the draw, aiming, shooting, in a someone stressed situation that simulates, to some extent, a real life scenario. You want to get used to moving, shooting, finding cover, reloading, situational awareness, etc. You are doing it, to help save your life, if it ever came to that. Scoring well is secondary. Improving your times isn't for bragging rights, but to recognize your personal improvement. In short, you are doing IDPA for what it was originally intended.

If that is the case, the weapon you are using is the one you use to carry every day, in the holster designed for maximum concealment and comfort. You may make some concessions for dress while shooting competitively, but not much. The gun is more than likely an unmodified compact, such as a Glock 19, or Khar Arms CM9, or other off the shelf pistols best suited for daily carry. Your holster is a kydex IWB style rig.

The second reason is to game. You choose your shooting platform for speed over concealment. You modify your trigger springs, install high speed low drag sights, extended mag well, high capacity mags, lightweight recoil springs and reload your own ammo where you're .01 over power factor. Your holster is a kydex OWB serpa holster and magazine pouches are for quick indexing and changes. Your only consideration for concealment is a photograher's vest that you can quickly sweep aside during your draw. To you, speed is paramount, and getting master rank your goal. You take every competitive advantage the rules allow you, in order to get that bragging right.

Now, before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, yes, there are other reasons, but face it, those are the two big ones.

Now, you may decide to get started in IDPA for the first reason, and morph over time into the second. Or, you may dabble a bit in your rig to make things faster without going all in whole hog competitive mode. Maybe buy a second holster that is easier to draw from, or stick on grip tape, or stipple your gun with a soldering iron. Maybe junk the stock glock sights and put on a set of Sevigny competition sights. Whatever.

But, as you can see, using a range gun in competition isn't really the way to go.

The best thing to do, is to buy a pistol that can be used in competition, and consider it a range gun, until you decide to dabble in IDPA. Perhaps go to an IDPA match to watch, and see what firearms the folks are using in stock service pistol, and go with one of those that you like. One question to ask the guys shooting is "if you could shoot any gun in stock service pistol, what would it be?". Go from there.

Very interesting stuff Gandalf thanks for the info.

The local gun range by me has a massive selection of pistols. I will be checking out some of the pistols mentioned here and maybe a few more.

I guess I thought the XDM was a good starting point because I can get them for maybe $100 more than a Glock 17 and it looks to be a more versatile pistol. I don't know. Need more input. Also debating if I wanna try the smaller XDm's to see if one would be a good carry pistol. Hope to have my CCW by end of year.

I will definitely check out the SW's, Sig, and Walther as well.

Side Note: I just got my red dot (Aimpoint Pro) last week. Once I get it zeroed in I will post some pics so you guys can make fun of my groups. :)

H&K P30 so you can be like me and Jack Bauer.

Srs, it's great. Sold both my USP's after getting mine.

Not a fan of the Springfield XD. I have fired them plenty and seen too many jams. I prefer my CZ75. I regularly tromp my Glock-wielding buddy (Carston, who else?) with the CZ; it's just more accurate.

A lot of people bag on glocks, after all, it doesn't have a lot of knobs and switches and other gizmos attached. It is just a simple device, with a trigger, slide and magazine releases. No cocked indicator, no loaded chamber indicator, no manual safety. You draw and fire. In competition, as well as a life or death situation, fumbling around with all that added crap costs you time and possibly your life.

Yes, you can train yourself to overcome the unnecessary obstacles you've placed in your way, but why go through the added expense and trouble when you don't have to?

Now, you'll buy your arsenal just like any other gun enthusiast, you'll buy the walthers, sigs, s&w's, etc eventually. But for a decent all around firearm that does everything including competition, daily carry as well as just fucking around at the range, a glock is what I'd recommend.

It's not the sexy choice, but it works.

Rent everything that shoots affordable ammo at your range. Go back a month later and rent everything again. Narrow down what you liked both times and go from there. Took three trips like that for my wife to pick out a Walther PP that she loves. Yeah, .32 is not exactly cheap, but she loves it. Now she's got a Walther PPQ and just gave me her P99 AS. Not knowing if your are right or left handed, your hand size and shape but make note of double stack and single stack, controls and action.

I'm a Sig, HK and CZ fanboy when it comes to handguns. Just can't have or get enough of them. I love shooting my Sig P6/P225, P220 and HK P30 over all others. Single stack old Sigs fit my hand and are really easy for me to bring on target. The HK grip panels make a great fit for my hand. I don't like safeties and I really hate slide mounted safeties.

One last thing for finding a fun range gun - find a local cowboy action group and check out what they shoot and do. It's really a lot of fun. There is a cowboy action group that shows up to a local range near me once a month and they are really great people with a wealth of experience. All of them are ex-cops with every gun known to man. I had to get a Ruger Vaquero in .357 and a Rosi Lever action in .357 after seeing how much fun these guy have. Getting a Stoeger coach gun to complete the set.

A lot of people bag on glocks, after all, it doesn't have a lot of knobs and switches and other gizmos attached. It is just a simple device, with a trigger, slide and magazine releases. No cocked indicator, no loaded chamber indicator, no manual safety. You draw and fire. In competition, as well as a life or death situation, fumbling around with all that added crap costs you time and possibly your life.

Yes, you can train yourself to overcome the unnecessary obstacles you've placed in your way, but why go through the added expense and trouble when you don't have to?

Now, you'll buy your arsenal just like any other gun enthusiast, you'll buy the walthers, sigs, s&w's, etc eventually. But for a decent all around firearm that does everything including competition, daily carry as well as just fucking around at the range, a glock is what I'd recommend.

It's not the sexy choice, but it works.

My glock has loaded chamber indicator. It's subtle, but present.

2311180701_c5f58459ef.jpg

Wow I never heard of that. Very subtle indeed.

Well if I have time this weekend I already have my bag loaded up with 10 loaded 30rd magazines for my rifle and then a trip to the pistol range next to my house.

Hope to learn a lot of have some fun! My list of pistols to try is ever growing. Thanks guys.

Back