[GUNS] AR purchased, time for a range pistol.

DocHolliday

Contributor
Veteran XX
So I recently got my Colt LE-6920. Love it. Now on to a range pistol. Was at Bass Pro Shop last weekend and was checking out the feel of a couple of different pistols. Tried a couple different Glocks, Springfields, etc.

The one pistol that really caught my attention was the Springfield Armory XDm 9mm. It felt near perfect in my hand and had a real good balance to it. Anyone have any experience with this piece? I don't think this will be my carry. Just range fun and maybe comp if I get good enough. Thoughts? Link below for the curious.

Springfield Armory XDm 9 9mm 4.5" XDM9201HCSP : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

I was just looking at ar15 pistols, I think I want a 10.5" barrel with the a1 triangle grip

I've seen Xds with cracked slides twice, that was years ago though now

Last edited:
I have been looking at AR pistols as well. I don't know if I would enjoy firing them.....and they look odd.

I have been looking at AR pistols as well. I don't know if I would enjoy firing them.....and they look odd.

carindex.jpg

I want this as a flat top pistol, with an a2 birdcage

ar15 pistol isn't really the most practical for anything really, but if you're really familiar with the platform it's a neat piece I think, I shot an AK pistol a while back that changed my mind on them

The XDm is a fine pistol, nothing wrong with it.

For AR pistols, they are about as stupid an idea as the Taurus Judge. Any centerfire cartridge shot out of a short barrel will blind your target due to the massive fireball and unburnt powder spraying out of the end. Rifle gun powder is by design slower burning to propel the bullet down a longer barrel, building up speed and twist for stability. Short barrels defeat that purpose. Buy a regular pistol, if you need something to brag about, buy a .44 mag or something.

Blind targets will have trouble shooting back. Sounds like a win to me!

Honestly though if I stick with the AR platform my next will be a full length rifle with a high powered scope so I can hit up the 600 yard range and waste money on expensive match rounds.

For now my carbine and Wolf gold rounds at .34 cents a piece works for me.

I think maybe this weekend I will be hitting up the local indoor range and rent a couple of pistols.

Gandalf: You have any recommendations for range pistols with the possibility of comp down the line? Wouldn't mind something that has some flexibility. Would love to rent a couple of nicer pistols like the XDm and equivalents from other manufacturers for a good test before I order.

Last edited:
Sig Sauer X-6. Budget will take a hit but its just awesome. Wanna go cheap, CZ Shadow or Glock 17.

The most important thing in my opinion is how the gun feels in your hand. If it feels really good like you said it does, then get it. The XD is a good handgun. I would personally prefer an M&P9 but if the XD fits you, get it.

Well, depends on what kind of competition. The most common for stock service pistol would have to be the Glocks i suppose. No fumbling around with external manual safeties, and a ton of aftermarket support.

I have the 3.8 compact version of that XDm.

The only thing I don't like about it is that a fully and properly-loaded mag fits awkwardly in the mag well and has a bit of a rattle to it, so I can't do a full 13+1 or 19+1 for carry.

Other than that it's been great. Feels very good in the hand for me. The cocking indicator is a nice feature.

Lots of people love the XD and XDm pistols.

Personally I can't stand them. Think you'd be much better off with an HK p30, Glock 17 or 19, CZ, or Beretta.

If you're just looking for something to carry to the range and blast with, hard to beat a used Glock.

The CZ is very nice, but difficult to find. Many gun stores don't stock them or they're perpetually out of stock.

XD is about as ubiquitous as a Glock, so it has that going for it.

i have the taurus 605 polymer.

605PLYB2_04.jpg

it's fun to shoot. .357 rounds are pretty fucking harsh through it, though, so i mostly run .38s through it.

I've had my XDm-9 for about 5 years. Never a hiccup in thousands of rounds. It's the gun I keep in my nightstand, I'm so comfortable and confident with it. As you mentioned it just fits my hand and is supremely pointable.

I'm TheVoiceOfReason and I endorse this pistol.

Still, try a bunch more. You never know which one will win you over until you shoot them. I also love my 1911s and .22s and my daily carry is a .357 snub.

Dang, now I got the fever for the flavor of a range trip.

Back