Good quality knife set?

I have globals, they feel good in my hand, the cut good, i like them.

Go to a shop, pick up some knives, buy what feels good and doesn't cost $10.

These knife threads always turn into dickwaving contests about which knife is the most top end. The OP has a limited budget. I've seen 2 whole posts about more affordable knives (mine, and Phantred's).

I agree honestly. I've posted pics of my knife set before and it's the same plastic handled stuff you'd see in most restaurant kitchens. I know how to use a steel and keep them nice and sharp so they work great for me.

iphonepics136.jpg

They may not be pretty but they work great. Pick them up at a restaurant supply place for around 25-35 each.

I did buy a Henckels Santoku knife recently that i'm very fond of and it was fairly inexpensive at 55 bucks.

I agree honestly. I've posted pics of my knife set before and it's the same plastic handled stuff you'd see in most restaurant kitchens. I know how to use a steel and keep them nice and sharp so they work great for me.

iphonepics136.jpg

They may not be pretty but they work great. Pick them up at a restaurant supply place for around 25-35 each.

I did buy a Henckels Santoku knife recently that i'm very fond of and it was fairly inexpensive at 55 bucks.
those knives are common in restaurant kitchens because they're inexpensive, so it's not a big deal when someone fucks them up.

do they work? of course. with the proper care, they'll last years. it's not like better knives will make you a better cook.

for me (and many others), it's nice to have a nice set of knives though. :shrug:

there are plenty of great knives for $50-90.

i don't really consider that too much to pay for the kitchen tool i use most often. it's a lot less than i paid for my mixer or food pro, and i consider those pretty crucial.

there are plenty of great knives for $50-90.

i don't really consider that too much to pay for the kitchen tool i use most often. it's a lot less than i paid for my mixer or food pro, and i consider those pretty crucial.

Exactly.

I think I blew my mother-in-law's mind when I spent around a hundred bucks on her this Xmas - I got her a decent 10" Henckels Chef, a honing steel, and a block. She'd been using shit knives for years.

Her shitty old knives couldn't cut through a fucking lime. I almost cut myself at her place last year cutting one - which gave me the idea to get her this for xmas. What she doesn't realize is that for the next 10 years or so, I will get her a knife every xmas. And when she dies, I'LL GET THE KNIFE SET!

muhahahaha

Dont use chef knives anymore, switched to a santoku (pretty much the same). My knife skills have improved drastically. Use a Shun Satoku, was pretty expensive but its the tits.

As for buying a knife set, wouldnt go that route, unless you do want a big block of wood on your counter.

Last edited:
As ridiculous as it sounds, TJ Maxx often has decent knives on sale. I've seen a few shun's show up from time to time. They have calphalons, and henkels the most often. Usually in the $30 to $60 range.

Yea I paid a little over $200 for 7'' Shun up here in Canada, didn't know they went as cheap as sixty bones in the US. Will have to do a little internet shopping next time.

read OP but not thread

i've been hearing a lot about globals lately. i have wusthofs and enjoy them but they take a lot of maintenance

Back