Good quality knife set?

BZ-JohnL

Veteran-5
I'm looking into getting a new knife set and would like to get some input on what everyone prefers. I'd like to not spend too much right now (possibly later) but would like to have a nice basic set that also looks nice as well.

What's everyone chopping with?

i dont know your personal situation

but the advice i give to everyone who says 'knife set' is dont get one, make your own out of the knives you'll actually use, especially if money is an issue.

i use a butchers for bones, 7" chef for most stuff, 6" boner for filetting and trimming, 4-6" utility and a bread knife. out of those, only the chef's knife really ought to be decent quality, maybe the boning knife too if you're going to use it a lot.

my girlfriend got a set of "cold steel" knives for christmas

they work pretty well i think. i mean she nearly lost two fingers when she shlipped while making a cut recently

Henckels or Wusthof are the only brands I would recommend that are more affordable. I have a set of Henckels that have lasted 10 years, and I've sharpened them once (but honed many times).

I have a global chefs, global paring knife, walmart steak and butcher knifes.

I do have a nice set of kitchen scissors(all metal, come apart). Expensive but well worth it.

The global chef's knife was a horrible choice. It cuts shit, like any knife will do if you take care of it, but the handles on them are fucking worthless.

Get your hands on a knife and find out if you like how it feels, then learn to take care of it and it won't really matter whether it's a good brand or not.

you know

i used to think globals were terrible knives, mostly because of the handles, and wondered why anyone would buy them

then when i learned how to hold a knife the right way (pinching the blade, not the handle), i didn't find them nearly as shitty. still not my favorite knives, but i don't have a major problem with them.

Thanks for the recommendations. As far as storage goes, I'd like to have them displayed somewhere, either in a wood block or on a magnetic rail.

The global chef's knife was a horrible choice. It cuts shit, like any knife will do if you take care of it, but the handles on them are fucking worthless.
I also own a Global Chef's knife and have never had any problems with grip, I love the form of Global's cutlery. That being said, Henckels is probably the best route to go in that moderate price range. Any Wuesthof worth owning won't be in this price range.

i dont know your personal situation

but the advice i give to everyone who says 'knife set' is dont get one, make your own out of the knives you'll actually use, especially if money is an issue.

i use a butchers for bones, 7" chef for most stuff, 6" boner for filetting and trimming, 4-6" utility and a bread knife. out of those, only the chef's knife really ought to be decent quality, maybe the boning knife too if you're going to use it a lot.

This is what I do. I have picked up a knife here and there over the years and made my own set basically.

My great grandfather was a french chef that actually had a peice in the main newspaper in Minnesota in the 30's every sunday and I have his personal chef's Knife that he made. He even singed the wooden handle. It is my pride and joy.

Wood blocks can get sorta nasty and can be hard to sanitize. The magnetic rails are the way to go.

^this

I would like to remind everyone to wash their kitchen tools BEFORE they put them away. I had a roommate once that always did this backwards and the kitchen smelled terrible.

Warther Cutlery

Pricy, but worth it.

;)
mm

really? Looks sorta shitty to me. Stamped metal shouldn't be that expensive, basically you've bought a fancy Victorinox with a wood handle that will be hard to keep as clean and its got some fancy scuff marks. Why would you recommend a knife that has questionable history? Have you even used this knife before? Knives with wooden handles are notorious for becoming loose over time, which is why most new handles are a composite or part of the knife.

http://www.victorinox.ch/index.cfm?site=victorinox.ch&page=504&lang=E
if you're going to get stamped knives why bother with anything else?

Warther Cutlery

Pricy, but worth it.

;)
mm
as far as good knives go, those aren't that costly. unfortunately, they aren't good knives either, so for shitty knives, yes they're very expensive.

btw, whatever you decide, as far as where you're buying them from, i've found that most of the major brands must use some kind of price-fixing because nearly every store will have the same knife for a near identical price. you may be able to get a good deal on a set from bed bath and beyond using one of their mailed coupons (esp if it's a percent off, as opposed to that $10 off $25 coupon). also, i've heard that amazon will frequently give good deals on shun knives in their gold box section.

edit:
agree. nearly every restaurant kitchen has victorinox paring knives around. they're a great value.

Last edited:
really? Looks sorta shitty to me. Stamped metal shouldn't be that expensive, basically you've bought a fancy Victorinox with a wood handle that will be hard to keep as clean and its got some fancy scuff marks. Why would you recommend a knife that has questionable history? Have you even used this knife before? Knives with wooden handles are notorious for becoming loose over time, which is why most new handles are a composite or part of the knife.

I've not only used the knives, I've watched them being made. It's a small shop, their knives are guaranteed and they just don't get dull. I've got one of my mom's paring knives that she got 30 years ago and not only does it get used almost daily, it's only needed sharpened once. They arent stamped by the way.

;)
mm

I've not only used the knives, I've watched them being made. It's a small shop, their knives are guaranteed and they just don't get dull. I've got one of my mom's paring knives that she got 30 years ago and not only does it get used almost daily, it's only needed sharpened once. They arent stamped by the way.

;)
mm

Do you know what stamped means? These knives are cut out of rolled steel, which means stamped. Stamping is a cheaper process then forging which is why we're all wondering why you're overpaying for a cheaper knife to begin with.

But if you've not sharpened a daily use knife but once in 30 years I think we understand that you have no idea what you're doing in the kitchen.

I have a couple of forged ones handmade by some guy named Anderson. They get rusty though. You may be right about me not knowing what I'm doing in the kitchen. But I like my knives and I've never had any problem with my knives.

;)
mm

if you're serious about a chefs knife you ought to try a bunch out at williams sonoma or something, then order it online from wherever has the best price

an expensive knife is pretty worthless if it doesnt feel right

These knife threads always turn into dickwaving contests about which knife is the most top end. The OP has a limited budget. I've seen 2 whole posts about more affordable knives (mine, and Phantred's).

Back