Golfers with Iphone- quick question

blackie420rx

he with no title++
Veteran XV
I have an Iphone, and was looking through the app store the other day, and noticed that there are a number of apps that claim to use GPS to determine distance to the green, etc. There are others that claim to be able to use the camera in the phone to determine distance to the flag, angle of slope, etc. These apps range in price from free to around $40.00. Totally not a wallet killer, but at the same time, I don't want to pay for something that isn't going to work very well.
So, my question is simply this: Do you have any of these apps? If so, which one, and how do you like it. Would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance. This isn't something that I'd need for my local courses, but when I travel and play new courses, I'd like to have an idea of where things are... ;)

you try reading the reviews in the apstore for the apps in question?

Yes, I have. They're just quite varied by application, and I figured that I have a wealth of knowledge right here, so I might get some real life experience from someone rather than a star rating, and "it works". :shrug:

Sounds fucking stupid and if I saw a guy sitting in the middle of the fairway holding up his Iphone then I'm aiming for the back of his head (now, granted, the ball will end up 50yards to the left or right, but thats not the point!)

people talking about GPS's being cheating are nerdvirgins who have never played a sport let alone golf

shut the fuck up shittits.

I've never owned one but have played with them a decent number of times. It's more of a convenience than anything else. It definitely speeds up play. In the end, you still have to hit the shots.

I can see the use, especially for older guys who are blind.

I play with my dad and his friends weekly, they cant even see where their ball lands let alone the pin.

But I can pretty much know within 10 or so yards my distance without it, so I don't see the point.

Most courses are marking 100,150,200 anyways, so you can pretty much know how far away you are from any hazards or gaps too.

What do you mean cheating? Pros have caddies that walk the course and know exactly how far the player is from the pin. The know exactly how many steps it is from the front of the green to the pin. They go out on the course at 4am walking the distances.

They have a portable GPS that is supposedly updated by a company specifically meant for the golf courses. May be more accurate than an iPhone.

i wouldn't go as far as to call it CHEATING, but surely it takes a bit of the skill/fun out of things?? :shrug:

What do you mean cheating? Pros have caddies that walk the course and know exactly how far the player is from the pin. The know exactly how many steps it is from the front of the green to the pin. They go out on the course at 4am walking the distances.

No. They don't. At all professional events they're given a booklet. It contains a map of every hole and rings of distances from the front, back, and middle of the green for almost every 15 yards for the length of the hole. Watch on TV and you'll see the Caddies pull out that booklet before almost every shot so they can properly gauge the distance.

The players also get practice rounds before the event to get a feel for different distances and places on the course. But they don't get up at 4am every morning and walk the course.

Back