Gameplay types

Thrax Panda said:
Explain. In detail. Use pictures if required. Make it simple (pretend I'm in marketing).

If i pretended you were marketing, I would just say it would make you millions, and when you rejected it, then kick you in the nuts (where is marweas).

Find me in irc, and we will talk. Maybe on a whiteboard proggy (I know marketing people like pretty colored pens).

Ooooooh, I can just see this. I really, really like the idea. I think you'd have to change the map a bit, particularly when it comes to the width of the tracks--as the ExtremeSki maps stand now, you can really only fit about two guys trying to blast the hell out of each other on any given track. I'd say widen 'em up a bit, decrease the size of weapon splash radius by around half or so, and set it up like a race--multiple laps or something.

rofl, at uvalan4 I think all we did was play xtremae ski rollar derbi.

Well, kind of. The basic idea was just to keep other people from making even past the first ramp. Always would be some faggot mining it ;|

Of course what rocked was how you'd alway speed past your ammo, so there was really no point in shooting at anything in dront of you. Ahhh, good times.

Sir Lucius said:
rofl, at uvalan4 I think all we did was play xtremae ski rollar derbi.

Well, kind of. The basic idea was just to keep other people from making even past the first ramp. Always would be some faggot mining it ;|

Of course what rocked was how you'd alway speed past your ammo, so there was really no point in shooting at anything in dront of you. Ahhh, good times.

if you go fast enough, you can go over mines w/o taking damage. beacons, now those are a bitch.

Use chain and laser.

Dedicated Duel game type and the return of Defend and Destroy...maybe add extra stats to Duel like accuracy, no. of MAs, average match duration, average health left, etc.

That's all I want.

Tribes 3 scout/shrike needs a follow the leader mode. Basically one person is the leader and like 5 or six (or sixteen!!! :eek:) people follow his moves in a single file line. You can set up the map with cool rings and tunnels and shit that's hard to move through (think putt putt golf course). It'd be lots of fun :]

Team Hunters was a great idea with horrendous map design. Eliminate the ability to camp bases and sit and wait constantly and the game would rock (ie shift the focus to the nexus all the time, not just when you scrounged up enough flags to cap). basic problem was that it was conceived as a base-camping game for tribes 2, while penalizing you for attacking (because you'll die fast and drop a flag on their doorstep). see any demo from the Smoking Monkeys (the real ones) for how th should be played.

Arena...why wouldn't you include something like arena is what i'm trying to figure out. it's basically the only other competition that remains viable for any length of time (at least in t2, i thought in t1 also).

Capture and Hold's another good gametype that generally suffers from bad map design, but it needs some kind of 'oh shit' factor. some way that last second game breaking plays can occur and be stopped. otherwise it loses a lot of appeal.

D&D and Siege are both great gametypes with the '30 second capout' problem for pubs which kills a lot of their appeal. they need some kind of editing, but damned if i know what.

what would be nice to see, imo, is maps specifically made for smaller teams as well as whatever 'standard' team size you come up with. ie, one set of maps for 10v10 or 12v12 and another set designed with 7v7-ish play in mind. also since someone mentioned gravity, it seems like gravity would be more useful as a map-based variable instead of a mod-based variable.

Heavy Games

This was a NuTz made mod made possible by Entropy's (cf Drinkers) practice mod.

* 3-6 players, exclusively in heavies
* inventory is selected through options, not INV units
* Players start in a common area on one side of the map, with the object of their attention, a flag, on the other side of the map.
* the object is to go get the flag and bring it back to a flag near the common area.
* Players spawn after death, in gear.
* Every man or woman for themselves.
* Round ends with cap; cap limit 3 - 5, or indefinite.
* Small Game specific maps (think Canyon Crusade size), which would not have to be symetrical, or "balanced."

This mod helped tremendously with practice in heavy mobility in general, heavy skiing, aiming with the mortar while skiing, dueling in heavy, etc. It was the most fun practice that I ever had and became a cult hit among NuTz and other players (including some RG, POE, etc). The game developed it's own virtues and instances that were different from any other Tribes 1 game type. For example, a rule made itself evident that the closer to the common area a potential capper got with the flag, the more carnivorous was the action, the more difficult to score the cap without resistence. As a result, carnage-filled scrums for the flag near the cap area became commonplace. Caps were cathardic.

Stats were kept informally, which could be engineered into the game mode. A "Sweet Cap" was when the first player to get the objective flag capped the objective flag without dying (very rare and very difficult, but heroic when accomplished). A "Steal" was when a cherry picker (you could choose legitimately to not go on flag offense, grab a shield pack, and defend the cap area) robbed a would be capper at the cap area, after the capper most likely did more of "the work." There were more.

All of this, of course, is predicated upon heavies being able to ski.

Last edited:
This thread needs a bump.

With an entire team dedicated to T;V multiplayer I'm sure they're gonna have more than just CTF.

Let's hope some of the stuff here draws some inspiration.

I'm bumping again, b/c I think I head kp or thrax talk about mutators.

How could we overlook these? Mutators fucking rock :]

What kind of cool mutators would you like to see in the game?

Let's see, shocklance rail duel would be cool. Just duel with 500 meter shocklances or something :]

I'm sure you could have some wacky physics mutators. Bumber car shrikes/scouts or something.

Tribes:Excessive -- Rapid fire disclauncher, infinate fets, akimbo chaingun with massive kickback, vaccum mortars. You know, stupid crazy shit just for fun.

This should be an intersting element of the community I think, as mutators are extreamly easy to apply and are all server side I believe (I could be wrong).

Bear with me because I suck at properly conveying my thoughts in forums.

I think expanding upon the CTF game type could be amazing. Think of Scarabrae, back in competition on OGL ladder. Most teams couldn't cap on that map, it was a stupid design for a base, however, towards the last couple of minutes, that one objective, the tower, became the focal point of the game, often times having 9 of the 10 players on each team going to try and claim the tower. People would selflessly throw thier lives at the switch. Easily some of the most exciting moments of early Tribes 1 competition.

Imagine a CTF map, with relativly exposed flags, think something like Dangerous Crossing. But now imagine a giant base-sized ship sitting idlely in the middle of the map. Unlike T1 C+H maps, the ship could be piloted, moved and have members of the teams fire from it. Owning the ship wouldn't win you the game point wise, like Scarabrae, but it could seriously help win the battle.

Prehaps people could spawn in the ship and drop down, as heavies on the enemy base. That would make the ship worth fighting for. Imagine the battles for the ship. Your position is to defend the entrance at the bottom of the ship. Suddenly, from no where, a grappling hook hits the bottom of the ship, and a light armor is rocketing upwards towards the entrance. You manage to MA the light coming up, knocking him to the ground and he dies of fall damage. But you missed his teammate coming up from the other side of the ship. He mine-discs you and you leave the entrance wide open. You call to your driver over a voice comm, but it's too late. The ship has changed course and is now heading back towards your base, all guns blazing.

The battle continues for the ship. It's parked over your base, dropping plasma blasts, and heavies everywhere. Suddenly the battle is completely vertical, with your team grappling the ship to get in there and retake it.

Suddenly a loud swoosh noise and the other team is off with the flag, on a crisp clean and fast moving route. The offensive advantage offered by the captured ship was enough to make the clean grab with a well-timed capper.

A good idea about having moving, usefull side objectives in CTF is that they will help ensure the freshness of the game. They prevent the game from going stale, with the same teams doing the same strategies.

Thinking deeper about the ship, it would have to be very tough, so teams couldn't just destroy it right off the bat. I think Shrike like vehicles should be in the game, and should be allowed to enter combat with the moving objective, and if talented enough, kill it.

Just a thought, and something I've always wanted to see in CTF.

edit: grammer police.

Last edited:
Maybe place generators or strategic weakness points on the mobile objective that can be destroyed, but also repaired. If they're all broken at one time, the ship crashes to the ground (dangerously flinging everyone aboard and crushing those below). This is a good idea, but it would have to be carefully implemented in each map.

Military Simulation mode, where all the skins and weapons are changed from discs to say MP5s, and dressed up like green plastic army men. Of course you need small indoor (CQB style) maps for this.

Limbo said:
Military Simulation mode, where all the skins and weapons are changed from discs to say MP5s, and dressed up like green plastic army men. Of course you need small indoor (CQB style) maps for this.

might be cool, for all those raven shield people

Mix CTF and CnH and DnD.

I presented this eons ago when these same talks were going on about T2. Here is the basic idea.

CTF is an old favorite for us all. There is a fixed objective that is the center of your team's plan. There is a major "oh shit" factor in it, adding to the drama.

CnH is by far the most realistic method of combat for online gaming. DoD, BF1942, both tons of fun and focused strictly on CnH. Territorial advanatages are huge.

DnD is, well, DnD. Way too much fun blowing shit up :) CTF has an element of DnD in it, so thats somewhat covered. Finding a way to expand on the possiblities of DnD would be great.

So what if...

Main flag base with 3 or 4 forward "capturable" bases. Capping the base gives you control of its resources, as well as an additional spawn area. Forward spawns can be a major tactical advantage and they are used in many online games as it stands now. It also allows you to have more area on the map that is usable which, in turn, allows for larger maps without that "omg i am going to die of boredom" feeling many got with T2 base game play. You create dynamic front of combat and you also prevent the probablility of a rollover on a map where you're pinned back at your base. If you can slip a play out to a mid-field spawn area, you can fight your way out of the hole you're in.

The basic principle is that you create one map out of 2 or 3 smaller maps, allowing the area of combat to ebb and flow.

My reasoning behind this is simple really. Games are getting bigger, not smaller. What used to be a 4v4 quake CTF game has climbed to 6,7, or 8 men a side now. Tribes was 10, and I can live with 10 on a team, as most of us can. That being said, there are only so many times one can play DX, SH, and SB variations without wanting to gouge your eyes out. We all loved those maps, but over the long haul things need to be freshened up. Not tot he extent that we saw in T2, but it would rock to get some more depth of play going on. finding a way to make maps somewhat larger than T1 yet still keep the action focused enough to keep the correct level of chaos would break some serious ground.

Look at BF1942. Guadalcanal is far to large for realistic match play at 12v12. But having the ability to cap the middle spawn areas to advance your attack the map plays much smaller and somewhat playable. If you had a map that size in T:V with the same spawn advantages as you do in BF you would get a large map that plays very small and you would have constant combat dispite its size.

I dunno. Just me rambling on :)

Back