Fuck it cold

Midwest, along the interstate 80 corridor. Not Chicago.

5vC3NqB.jpg

So what do you keep your heater set to when it is cold like it is?

I set mine to kill.

Maybe 72 when it's -33, but my furnace is oversized for the house, and it can keep up just fine thank you. It's usually at 64 in the night, and 68 daytime. Many furnaces out there can't keep up, even running non stop.

For those of you that hate pipelines, keep it up.. MN doesn't have the infrastructure (pipelines) to bring in enough natural gas now.
Utility asks customers to turn down thermostats in deep freeze - StarTribune.com
With deep freeze still on, Minnesota utility asks customers to turn down thermostats
All Xcel Energy natural gas customers are urged to lower thermostats to 63 until early Thursday. Minneapolis, St. Paul and Anoka-Hennepin schools will be closed another day.
By Mary Lynn Smith, Mike Hughlett and John Reinan Star Tribune staff writers JANUARY 31, 2019 — 5:50AM
GALLERY
GRID
1/33
Frosty runners Matt Frantzen, left, and Zach Schendel documented their morning dash around Lake Harriet in minus-20 temps Thursday in Minneapolis.
DAVID JOLES – STAR TRIBUNE
Gallery: Frosty runners Matt Frantzen, left, and Zach Schendel documented their morning dash around Lake Harriet in minus-20 temps Thursday in Minneapolis.

TEXT SIZE
EMAIL
PRINT
MORE
(UPDATE Thursday 1:45 PM: Xcel Energy has told customers they can return their thermostats to normal. You can find our current, updated story about the cold wave in Minnesota here.)

The brutal cold gripping Minnesota made itself felt in tens of thousands of living rooms Wednesday as Xcel Energy resorted to asking customers to turn their thermostats down to 63 degrees to conserve natural gas.

The request to Xcel’s more than 400,000 customers came as the utility strained in the sub-zero temperatures to keep up with heating demand.

And a few Minnesotans dealt with the nightmare of having no heat at all.

About 150 homes in the Princeton area, about an hour north of Minneapolis, lost natural gas service about 10:30 p.m. Tuesday. In response, Xcel asked about 12,000 customers in nearby Becker, Big Lake, Chisago City, Lindstrom, Princeton and Isanti to turn down their thermostats to 60.

Later in the day, the company expanded that request to all of its 460,000 gas customers in Minnesota, although Xcel expected to keep the advisory in place only until Thursday.

We tested out some fun things that can be done in this week's extreme cold.
Video (01:28): Watch 5 viral stunts you can only do in Minnesota's extreme cold
The heating issues weren’t the only challenge posed by the once-in-a-generation chill, as Minnesotans also suffered new frostbite cases, broken water lines and transportation breakdowns.

In the Princeton area, police and fire officials went door-to-door to inform residents about the gas shut-off and that Xcel would put them up in nearby hotels. About two-thirds of those affected by the outage accepted the offer, said company spokesman John Marshall.

According to the Sherburne County sheriff, Xcel also distributed heaters.

Jason Camarena woke up Wednesday morning to find his natural gas service was out and the temperature in his Princeton home had dropped to 54 degrees. He and his wife and two children headed to the nearby AmericInn, but took it all in stride.

“How can you be mad?” Camarena said, noting that Xcel power crews had been out in the bitter cold since 3 a.m.

“I mean they have that, and we have this,” he said, gesturing toward the pool where his children were swimming. To show his appreciation, Camarena brought coffee and hot chocolate Wednesday to the crews at work on the outage near his home.

Greg Butler got the temperature in his home up to 60 degrees with the help of six space heaters.

“I feel like we’ll be all right,” he said.

While Xcel works to restore the heat, the company enlisted the help of licensed plumbers to keep residential pipes from freezing.

“The unprecedented cold and wind that we’re dealing with in Minnesota has customers running their heat almost nonstop which really increases demand on our system,” Xcel said in a statement. “Because we’ve had some outages due to this in central Minnesota, we’re taking further steps and exercising an abundance of caution to help conserve natural gas so the system can continue to operate well throughout the state.”

An engineer with the Minnesota Office of Pipeline Safety is in Princeton working with Xcel to ensure that the company follows proper procedures to restore gas service to customers, Jen Longaecker, a department spokeswoman, said in an e-mail.

CenterPoint Energy, the largest gas utility in Minnesota with nearly 870,000 customers, has not had any major problems, said company spokeswoman Alicia Dixon. “We are not experiencing any low-pressure issues on our system and are not issuing any calls for conservation.”

9 AM and a bright sunny 63 degrees in my baking hot desert. Seasons happen here too FYI. Feel for the rest of you boys, but not that much TBH.

I set mine to kill.

Maybe 72 when it's -33, but my furnace is oversized for the house, and it can keep up just fine thank you. It's usually at 64 in the night, and 68 daytime. Many furnaces out there can't keep up, even running non stop.

For those of you that hate pipelines, keep it up.. MN doesn't have the infrastructure (pipelines) to bring in enough natural gas now.
Utility asks customers to turn down thermostats in deep freeze - StarTribune.com

tyvm, handsy al franken

9 AM and a bright sunny 63 degrees in my baking hot desert. Seasons happen here too FYI. Feel for the rest of you boys, but not that much TBH.

holy shit, pueblo hanging w/ the mighty mighty super classy democratic republic of dubai in today's temp zone :cool:

p.s. pueblo happens 2 have a sewer system even w/o anybody in town having a job :cool:

The tinfoil hat wearer inside of me is worried that another ice age is around the corner and they don't feel like telling us cause we would go crazy. Personally I'd rather have the Earth open up and swallow me than slowly freeze and starve to death.

January was Aust's hottest month on record

Australia has recorded its warmest January on record with more than 200 sites across the nation setting records for warmest average maximum temperatures.

The mean temperature in January, averaged across the country, exceeded 30C for the first time ever for any month, the Bureau of Meteorology says.

The highest temperature recorded in January was 49.5C at Port Augusta in South Australia, senior climatologist Agata Imielska told reporters in Sydney on Friday.

The bureau's Adelaide city site also recorded zero rainfall for the first time since 1957.

Several records were also broken in NSW where Menindee in the far west experienced four consecutive days of 47C.

NSW sweltered through its warmest month beating the previous record in 1939 by 5.92C.

The Australian capital recorded four days in a row above 40C which hasn't happened since 1939.

"For more than half of the month, temperatures were 35C and above - that's six times the amount of 35C days that Canberra would expect," Ms Imielska said.

Victoria also recorded its warmest January on record for mean, maximum and minimum temperatures with the state's rainfall 72 per cent below the long-term average.

Kerang in northern Victoria reached 47.6C on January 25 setting a new January temperature record for the state.

Always happens, you guys freeze and we cook or vice versa, must be a wobble in the orbit or something - is everyone in China jumping up and down at once?

Bring on the goddam Ice Age please, ski season is looking grim this year

r u stupid

My point was he's in Mexico and he's staying in the coldest fuckin spot?

I still need to be able to get into California to the north of me for work and my daughters. I guess you could say it's still a little warmer here in TJ than Southern California. But since I'm only two miles from the border it's not really that much warmer than cold Southern California.

See you guys aren't suffering at all inside; you just snuggle down with your warm 77 degree temperatures. Here in TJ California it doesn't stay too cold for too long so we just suffer through 65 degree temperatures in our homes for a couple months.

Rather freeze than live amongst the enemy. Send tamales tho.
Fuck Spics
Fuck Kikes
Fuck Niggers
Fuck Jannies

8th6ffi.jpg

Last edited:
Back