Freezing Rain, Tree limbs falling, I hate my...

media_junkie

Veteran XV
....neighbors.

Ok, so on Thursday night we had some serious freezing rain in my area (Virginia). My neighbor, that just built a house on a tiny lot next to mine, had also built a shed right up under some trees. The actual trees are on my property but some of the branches overhang his property.

In the past he had wanted me to cut down the limbs on his property and I maintained that any of the limbs over-hanging his property he could cut down and do with as he saw fit. However the trees themselves he could not cut down cause they were on my property. So he went ahead and did so over the summer.

Fast forward to now and as I said he built a shed right up under the limbs that were still over-hanging his property. Well due to the icing we had a limb fell off the tree because of the additional weight on it and landed on his shed. He was bitching at me saying I needed to pay for the repair and I told him

"no, your homeowners insurance should cover that, as long as you had ""outbuilding insurance""."

Anyway he is still bitching saying I was resoponsible for the repairs while I maintain that I am not. Time to go call a lawyer I guess.

--- Cliffs ---
- Freezing Rain
- Tree Limb fell on neighbors shed that he had built right up under trees
- Wants me to pay
- Time to call Lawyer

If the branches are over his property I believe it's his right under zoning laws to cut them down. If he negelected to do so than it's most likely his responsibility that the branch fell on his shed.

Hmm...I'd like to hear how this comes out cuz (though I think it would be bullshit) I can sorta see a court saying that since it is your tree...you are responsible for pieces of it falling off. :shrug:

Fool said:
If the branches are over his property I believe it's his right under zoning laws to cut them down. If he negelected to do so than it's most likely his responsibility that the branch fell on his shed.

^^^
I think so too.

(but then again...that is also kind of bullshit too if you think of it...that a person must 'maintain' a tree he doesn't want and is not on his property). But as I said...I believe you are correct.

Back