Finally going to buy a 360, do I need the Gbs of the elite? Can I garuntee a Jasper?

Don't worry about the chipset. 50/50 it breaks anyway. Buy the full replacement extended warranty.

I agree that you don't have to worry too much, because if you don't get Jasper you will get falcon. And even if there is an issue the warrenty makes it a moot point. But its not 50/50 at all. Its 50% of all 360s ever sold since launch. The first bunch (i.e pre falcon) was well above 50%. like 75% or whatever the hell it was. There were changes (to heatsink) pre falcon that lowered that down, and then with falcon it was largely fixed. Dropping it to like 10-15% or something (not sure the actual % on falcons) and then now with jasper its down to like 4-5% like it is with every electronic device you buy. The overall % is now down to 50% of all 360s sold. Its down to there because jasper doesn't barely fail at all like it shouldn't. There is little risk buying a 360 at this point.

You can buy the arcade edition, guarantee yourself a Jasper, then get a homebrew HDD off of ebay (I paid $70 for my 120GB, you can get it cheaper).

Basically wound up with an elite system (minus ~$3 HDMI cable) for around $250 including shipping etc.

Oh also, if you don't game much, have you considered a PS3? You get a blu-ray player for watching movies and also the ability to game (less titles, but still a decent library).

i bought a pro near release and the cd drive failed on me after a couple years

got it repaired once

started doing it again a few months later

usually took about half an hour of play for it to die

said fuck it and traded it in for about ~$250 in credit w/ all of my old games and such. it wasn't broken to the point where it wouldn't work on start up & minutes into a game so it tested fine according to gamestop.

bought new pro bundle for $299.99 & then instantly traded in the packaged games for credit & added in my $250 from the "tested" xbox

got new xbox w/ new chipset etc. + a couple games for $75

about a year in without issue

Back