Feeling hot hot hot

What? Do you just happen to have a brand new one lying around the garage? Where do you find these things. Isn't that a specific part for that specific mower?

Local John Deere dealer 5 miles up the highway had 6 on hand. Probably fits more than just that model. Took me longer to get there than it did to install. $4.54 with tax.

Current state of mower:
Splitting the engine case to replace the gasket. Oil was blowing everywhere.
On the trailer for a second power washing. after pulling the engine and fenders.
gd8xUUY.jpg

Clean(ish)
Note the angle iron reinforcement from previous owner bolted on the front and rear where the frame cracked. I need to address the crack under the fuel tank next.
PTiDr9i.jpg

All this nonsense because the breather was plugged up and created pressure in the crank case, and blew the case seal out. Up near the cooling fins.
PnDVFUu.jpg

After I cleaned everything again, replaced the main seal and breather:
Msdd3Oa.jpg

Reassembled and set coil gaps:
6KOMW7R.jpg

I smeared some RTV on the offending gap:
B4osQ0L.jpg

Slapped the shroud on:
2PaGHTK.jpg

And hood and mowed everything.
It wasn't pretty, the RTV held for a while, but I run this machine pretty hard.
xu89dyq.jpg

Mmm, fresh oil and fresh grass clippings.
1dGi9Rw.jpg

1i8FLzR.jpg

Power washed all the crap I could off it, and pulled the engine.
EcNJvjU.jpg

The underside of the frame was coated, and main drive belt soaked and cracking. I'm pretty surprised it was still intact. Tomorrow I'll split the case, replace the governor, main lower seal, and the case gasket. Woo.

Yeah, they use the same frame material for the under powered Deere tractors you can find at Lowes with tiny tires, and the ones like mine with 14 inch wide meats and 3x the power.

The frame flexes so hard sometimes the rear tires rub the deck.

Last edited:
seriously though after all the time and effort you put into this junk wouldn't it have been more efficient to buy something made within the last decade or two

seriously though after all the time and effort you put into this junk wouldn't it have been more efficient to buy something made within the last decade or two

Oh I have mowers that work, but I like this one. Fast, tight turning radius, does a nice job, easy to use. A new machine comparable to this one would be 8k, and I've got $300 and maybe 10 hours tops into this one. I'm counting everything in that 10 hours. Hauling it here, finding tires, repairs including power washing and sourcing parts.

Got around to splitting the case today.

Threw it on the tailgate of the big Dodge
wGm8xcE.jpg

Marked the governor position, pulled it off, and split the case.
3fWfdzt.jpg

The offending section of gasket
bkV4Vw6.jpg

Clearly dickered. Globs of RTV did nothing...
zbjkmpN.jpg

Cleaned up the mating surfaces, ran some 40 grit across them and replaced the governor and main seals, then reassembled.
EyienYw.jpg

Bonus pic of the spare parts pile and one of the backup mowers.
b4I6DFW.jpg

glg9Ped.jpg

boclCtB.jpg

This thread reminds me that i have been threatening to power wash my deere for a couple weeks

My neighborhood is full of guys that are serious about their John Deere mowers. Thats their baby. Some of my neighbors wash and wax their lawn mower like its a car or something. Every weekend.

Saturdays at around 8:30am, its like someone sounds the battle horn and a small army rolls out of the garages.

This thread reminds me that i have been threatening to power wash my deere for a couple weeks

My neighborhood is full of guys that are serious about their John Deere mowers. Thats their baby. Some of my neighbors wash and wax their lawn mower like its a car or something. Every weekend.

Saturdays at around 8:30am, its like someone sounds the battle horn and a small army rolls out of the garages.

100% chance juggs doesnt own a riding mower and pays someone to mow his yard.

200% chance Cumdumplin takes in the ass and couldn't last in a yard for 5 minutes on or behind a lawnmower without needing mom to make him a hotpocket

John Deere is all over this area, suppliers, manufacturing. Industry supplying the suppliers, a parts depot that is 65 acres under one roof.. I have a few neighbors that work there, a few of my employees work there part time, and I've seen most of the operation.

Back