ET - Quake Wars Mod: Tribal Wars

Looks great Arc.

Id say either Classic t1 blaster with maybe a very slight modification, or remove it entirely and replace it with the shocklance from T2 , whichw as the only worthwhile weapon addition out of T2 and T:V.

Also, please do not leave the Grenade Launcher out of this fantastic looking game.

The blaster underwent some changes:

-Has unlimited ammo, but is limited by overheating (4-5 shots max before a cooldown period)
-Little bit faster projectile
-Draws quicker
-Does not use your Jetpack Energy

Thus far, it's worked well in 1vs1, 2vs2's and whatnot. All 3 weapons are rather useful and can be used in different situations. Don't freak out, the Blaster still takes some skill to use and requires you to lead your target. I just got rid of some of the characteristics that made it useless.

Progress has been good. Not too far now.

I hope to see a Cinder made map if the project comes to Fruition. You did some of my favorites. :)

Thanks. :>

I bought a copy of ET:QW a while ago in anticipation of a release. Depending when it's released I'll probably take some time to make something.

Looking forward to your next update Arc.

Thanks. :>

I bought a copy of ET:QW a while ago in anticipation of a release. Depending when it's released I'll probably take some time to make something.

Looking forward to your next update Arc.

If you want to get a head start, then you should PM me. The mod is finished for the most part, just working on correcting some bugs and prepping the files so they can be sent out for testing.

You can pretty much create a map for Twars with the standard SDK. The terrain is about 85% of the work involved in making a map. The rest is just throwing together a bunch of BSP structures and placing various flag and spawn entities. I'll set you up with the mod files, and even some juicy concept art if you plan on doing on doing another map.

Arc. I need to talk to you when I get a chance. i know current plans and what you plan to finish off and release as a Mod, but am curious how you feel about what the community may or may not do with it, besides playing it in its current state.

I truly think your tiny team captured what Ascension failed to do, and what the community has asked for, t1 physics with Better graphics. I just want to see what your team toiled over converted into what I dont think the "Industry" has the time money or desire to give to us, at least not for a few more years.

Arc. I need to talk to you when I get a chance. i know current plans and what you plan to finish off and release as a Mod, but am curious how you feel about what the community may or may not do with it, besides playing it in its current state.

I truly think your tiny team captured what Ascension failed to do, and what the community has asked for, t1 physics with Better graphics. I just want to see what your team toiled over converted into what I dont think the "Industry" has the time money or desire to give to us, at least not for a few more years.

I'll be the first to admit that what I'm delivering isn't quite the full T1 experience. Tribes 1 had a whole array of weapons, generator systems, radars, stations and a whole bunch of tactical elements thrown on top of the core gameplay. The physics are similar, but that isn't 100% of the experience. Some of the weapons don't function in the exact manner, some of the friction from skiing is slightly different in certain situations, the netcode isn't exactly the same so it won't give you quite the same level of hit detection. There's even the oddity of two ion rifle blasts hitting each other in mid-air canceling each other out during a duel that changes the experience around a little bit. There's just a bunch of small quirks to it that will ultimately mean that it's similar but not "the same". I don't think the experience is a radical departure from the same basic ideas of skiing, jetting, disc jumping, capturing the flag and all that, but we'll just have to see how people take it.

I also had to cut down the entire scope of the project. I keep mentioning that this is Tribes LT, meaning that inventory stations and a whole slew of weapons were cut out from the project due to time constraints. If I had decided to take on 3 armor classes, inventory station, vehicles, and all that stuff... then I doubt I'd be finished anytime soon. I'd absolutely love to try and take that on, because I think it's possible that all of that stuff could go into the mod, but I just can't do it all myself.

The best I can do is leave a bunch of stuff open for someone else to do. All the project files, scripts, definition files and whatnot will be open for someone else to add to. A nice example of what could be added is the armor classes. There will actually be 3 armor classes available, but they don't offer any real tactical advantage over the light armor. They just move slower, give you more ammo, but that's about it. If someone made a new models for them, and a couple special weapons, then you'd have your Heavy armor class right there. Another example is a vehicle. Vehicles from ETQW were pretty well done, and it's very possible that someone could copy over the script and def files of the Hornet, change the model for it, change around some sounds and weapons, and you'd get your Scout/Shrike right there. In ETQW you can "call vehicles" to spawn next to you from the Strogg/GDF command, so all you'd need to do is create a script that mimics the vehicle spawning to create a vehicle station.

There's a TON that could be done with the mod, but I doubt I can manage to do it all. Some of you will just have to wait and see what's in the uncompiled script and definition files. It's an extremely mod friendly platform.

I will do everything in my power to help with promo / marketing this mod. Arc, please let me know if you need a hand, I have some experience in this field.

I re-read my last post, and realized it made me sound like 1 of the T1 w/ Better graphix crowd. I am not. I meant to say you captured that concept, but I can see so much More.

I personally think T2 Classic, with a few tweeks in concept, with better graphix, would actually be the best version for a new tribes game. Not sure how familiar you are with T2 Classic, but the vehicles were fair and balanced, useful but not required. They were what Vehicles in an FPS should be, Helpful and apart of strategies, even allowing new strategies, but able to be completly unused (except the rare Large-Huge Map) and your team still win.

The Shrike could be outrun by cappers for instance, meaning aerial superiority didnt immediatly make route capping useless.

The reason I posted that, is because I've been waiting for something like this, and last night i jumped the gun. I wanted to talk with you 1st, before I started trying to plan for something you might no approve of. I know you are leaving the project open, but this is still your baby.

That said, feel free to take a peek and see what I am getting at.

TribalWars: Classic - If you would prefer I not link my idea of what the Next tribes game should be to your project, Ill just move the Design Spreadsheet I have started with to my main URL under mindflayed.net, and call the project something else, but personally I think you guys did amazing work, and could see fleshing out this Mod into a TC mod (with a team of course) and giving the community a game to play, instead of praying GG is going to deliver us from boredom.

Edit: Fish and others can attest to my <3 for this franchise. I wish I had done a better job of running the PlayTribes.net program while we had it, but it was too little too late. This time around I intend to be at the front, rather than trying to save what is already dying.

Last edited:
http://twars.org/blog.php

Q&A Session regarding the mod. If you guys have any questions about the mod, then you can email the contact address and I'll have it answered later next week.

Btw Mindflayr we should get in touch once beta has kicked off and look at this a bit more. I actually made up a design document, similar to what you made so I can share that with you. If you want to tackle some of the bigger things, then I'll give you some tips on what to look at if you want to create full blown inventory systems, character loadouts and whatnot. I think the biggest thing separating the mod from being what it is now to being customizable and having inventory stations is a modular weapon system. There's some custom scripting required to get a modular system rather than a predefined loadout, but it is still very possible to do.

Last edited:
Great job Arcanox for following through. I dont think anyone expects the full T1 experience from this mod. I don't. What has impressed everybody is that you have delivered a base mod with a pretty polished looking design and style that truly delivers on the tribes with better graphics concept.

i do amateur graphics stuff and would love to have a crack at doing some maps once this is released....with little experience would this be too ambitious? im more a graphic designer but i love tribes :)

beware the white whale.

FYI, most tribes mappers had little to no experience, but tought themselves the tools, experimented. What set the good 1s apart was comprehending the actual flow of the map while designing it, before it was played. So go for it if you have the passion. The nice part is you dont even really need "permission" fromt he creator. Anyone can make maps. only good maps get added to rotations consistently.

I_have_the_Enemy_Flag_by_Neolight.jpg

Whoever's interested in expanding Tribal Wars's content, lets have a little discussion soon. There's plenty of concept art and ideas we have accumulated over the years that might help jog your minds.

Also, if anyone is in need of 3D assets, textures, or concept paintings of any kind related to Tribal Wars - I'm available.

MSN: Neolightl@hotmail.com

AIM: Neolightl

Gmail: Neolight0@gmail.com

Last edited:
I am going to do everything in my power to figure out how to get the base of what you guys built, made into the game i know "tribes 3" can be, whatever its called. I just need to know what you guys want to continue to produce, or what type of help needed. The concept is beautiful, the game could be everything the community and new players want, and it can obviously be done semi-low budget compared to a normal game, considering what has already been done.

Back