Does Melatonin really work as a sleep aid?

.Keyser Soze

Veteran X
I've been having trouble falling asleep the last week and a half and I've read Melatonin can good natural supplement for sleep aid among various other things.

Anyone ever use it?

Last edited:
I was on it for a while

some pretty gnarly dreams

from what I understand its not used to knock you out, its used over time as a regulator

It did not work very well for me.

Better solution. Get some exercise and go outside in the afternoon and get some sun. Preferably combine both.

And by exercise I don't mean walk around for five minutes.

It helps a little bit, I took it when I stopped being prescribed Ambien. I found that exercise was far more effective at treating any of my ills, though. It's hard to sleep if you don't tire your body out some.

I tried it a few years ago and mentioned it to my doctor. He told me to discontinue or limit my use otherwise my body will have difficulty producing melatonin on its own. I stopped using it after that :shrug:

I used to buy this sleeping pill at the nature store(organic crap). Directions were to put 4 underneath the tongue and man that shit was awesome it put me right out. After a few weeks of enjoyable sleep, they stopped selling it. Everything else has failed since :(

It helps a little bit, I took it when I stopped being prescribed Ambien. I found that exercise was far more effective at treating any of my ills, though. It's hard to sleep if you don't tire your body out some.
Yeah I've taken some Ambien the last few days. It's not my prescription which is why I'm not looking at it as a long term solution, nor would I even if I were prescribed it, but I've only been able to get like 6 hours of oft-interrupted sleep after taking it.

I guess I'll continue to exercise and try not to nap during the day. Insomnia is a son of a bitch.

Maybe I should join a fight club.

yes it does

your brain makes melatonin naturally when its time to sleep. taking extra helps it along.

I took it once and it helped quite a bit.

I found that exercise was far more effective at treating any of my ills, though. It's hard to sleep if you don't tire your body out some.

FTW.

I have been prescribing this advice to anyone who has sleeping issues....this and going to bed at a consistent time.

On the other hand I had a friend in college with sleep problems. He worked out like mad, often twice a day, and studied more than any of my other friends. By all accounts he should be tired as hell and sleep like a baby, right?

Turns out he was gay and was so paranoid about people finding out that he was literally losing sleep over it.

So, reduce stress in your life. You might sleep better.

Edit: by losing sleep I mean he was only getting 2-4 hours a night

I use it every now and then and it kicks my ass actually. Similar effect of benedryl but a bit less groggy in the morning.

Back