Did I do this right?

That looks like 1950’s wiring, be careful with it, just moving it can cause the insulation to fall off. I rewired my entire house because of that wiring have so many failures in so many places. My house had old knob and tube, 50’s era and 70’s. The 50’s era was by far the scariest

So today I was thinking of fixing the plumbing myself and thought maybe id just replace the entire run of brass with normal copper but due to the odd relationship of house utilities I only ended up destroying the vanity in the bathroom upstairs and made no plumbing progress today. And since the shut offs and stuck shut I turned my water off at the meter. So no indoor plumbing, yay. I’ll call in a professional at this point.

I ran the new wiring for the recessed light and outlet + switch. Almost finished and making last connection when I cut the wrong wire - now necessitating I replace a portion of wire and add a junction.

I think the framing is satisfactory. The headers are 3 2x6 turned up end and screwed with 3in screws. The vertical pieces are actual 1.5x4.5in versus the original 2x4 actual single stud. The added two studs are therefore 3x9in. A 3x increase of strength.Probably would’ve added more studs under the lower beam but the wall is filled with a foot of loose rubble so I’d rather not fuck with it. Had to move the two vertical studs in a few inches to create openings for the pipes and wires to go through. They’ll be directly dry walled over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
sweating copper is np but I've never done an entire run only fixtures. plumbing (especially drain) is definitely something you don't want to fuck up and having to deal with that component of the house being down - yeah head to the ATM and pay those niggers

sweating copper is np but I've never done an entire run only fixtures. plumbing (especially drain) is definitely something you don't want to fuck up and having to deal with that component of the house being down - yeah head to the ATM and pay those niggers

Better to rent a crimper

The problem is there’s a piece of brass that does the 90’ at the ceiling and runs along the ceiling a few feet and then directly t’s into copper to supply the bathroom. I’m not sure how I could get that pipe replaced without cutting up the ceiling trim or re use the brass but get the right adapters which Home Depot doesn’t sell. I could maybe Pex it but never done that before. Need a guy to come in w a plan and just fix it. Get your motha fuckin checkbook.

The problem is there’s a piece of brass that does the 90’ at the ceiling and runs along the ceiling a few feet and then directly t’s into copper to supply the bathroom. I’m not sure how I could get that pipe replaced without cutting up the ceiling trim or re use the brass but get the right adapters which Home Depot doesn’t sell. I could maybe Pex it but never done that before. Need a guy to come in w a plan and just fix it. Get your motha fuckin checkbook.

Without detailed pictures, be pretty hard to guess your options. Even pictures may not be enough.

As I’m waiting on mr plumber to come lay some pipe - I’m gonna get on my hands and knees and get ready to lay the floor down.

I’ll snap some pics tonight. I’m at second thanksgiving. Stop by the store and get the wire box to finish the electric on my way home.

Last edited:
I ran the new wiring for the recessed light and outlet + switch. Almost finished and making last connection when I cut the wrong wire - now necessitating I replace a portion of wire and add a junction.

I think the framing is satisfactory. The headers are 3 2x6 turned up end and screwed with 3in screws. The vertical pieces are actual 1.5x4.5in versus the original 2x4 actual single stud. The added two studs are therefore 3x9in. A 3x increase of strength.Probably would’ve added more studs under the lower beam but the wall is filled with a foot of loose rubble so I’d rather not fuck with it. Had to move the two vertical studs in a few inches to create openings for the pipes and wires to go through. They’ll be directly dry walled over.

To be honest I really think you should also call an electrician and a carpenter. Adding little sections of wire and using joins/junctions is a really bad idea. replace the whole cable run or u are going to burn your house down.
You are fucking this up royally and you obviously have no business doing this shit. You're meddling with powers you cannot possibly comprehend.

Get Tehvul to come down and help at least.

I guess I forgot to mention this is going to be a bar counter type thing on the open wall of my kitchen. The cut thru window is a nice feature to add. It’s really cool being able to see from the kitchen sink to the tv in the living room. It looks bad now but so does any first time home improvement project.

Last edited:
I did exactly the same thing in an old townhouse I had. It was super nice and opened it up really well. You gotta do it right though. I put small downlight in the top which looked really good.

Any second now...

mf0jOk6.gif

Need good pics of plumbing situation, and I will tell you how to do it.

Better to rent a crimper.

Totally recommend pex. Easy af to fix problems in a pinch. Every homeowner should have some 1/2" pex, 3/4 pex, adapters, 90's, T's, couplings, and the like in an ohshit toolbox.

Last edited:
new idea, take that weird window thing all the way to the ceiling and floor. Then cut away the drywall from that hole to the doorway and take the doorway entrance also to the ceiling
that will make it much more open concept and you dont have to fuck with much shit

Back