Dell, HP support agents advise callers to ditch Windows 10

Dell, HP support agents advise callers to ditch Windows 10

Front Page Article

If you call your PC maker to troubleshoot a Windows 10 machine, dont be surprised if the advice is to roll back to an earlier version.

In a pair of undercover tech support calls, representatives from HP and Dell both suggested uninstalling Windows 10 as a blanket solution to problems, Laptop Mag reports.

The call to Dell was most baffling, as the caller was merely asking how to invert the scrolling direction on a laptops touchpad. This is an easy fix with the same procedure across all Windows versions, yet the representative suggested rolling back to Windows 8.1 as a solution, saying there are a lot of glitches in Windows 10.

An HP support rep also suggested reverting to Windows 8.1 after the computers CoolSense temperature control utility failed to work properly with the new operating system. I really dont recommend [that] customers upgrade to Windows 10, the representative said. (HPs support then tried to sell a $40 USB recovery key when the rollback itself didnt work.)

Microsoft is pushing Windows 10 more aggressively than any Windows version yet, with free upgrades for consumers through next fall. In 2016, the company will also categorize Windows 10 as a Recommended upgrade, so the installation will begin automatically on many users machines. But if these tech support calls are any indication, some users may be told to revert right back to an older version for even the slightest problems.

Why this matters: While these calls are just anecdotes, both HP and Dell confirmed to Laptop Mag that as a policy their support reps sometimes suggest rolling back to an earlier Windows version. The problem, as seen in the case with Dell, is that downgrading might not actually solve the problem, and is merely a catch-all for when the support rep is out of his or her depth. These anecdotes are as much an indictment of tech support by phone as they are an issue for Microsoft as it tries to make Windows 10 the dominant PC operating system.

i read about this earlier...its something like the pc manufacturers don't have enough resources to support a new OS, so they just suggest rolling back to a version they support (or something along those lines)

it makes sense since they never sold said systems with win10 on them. theres 0 reason to support a product they didnt sell.

cuz its full of spyware

because it wasn't ready so we're getting to be free beta testers for a year

and cause it watches you poop

that's what I thought - but it seems to have great acceptance and not too many complaints.

Or is it just people have just come to accept the inevitable and assume that everything is monitored now and no longer care?

There will be a paradigm shift. Drudge appeared on Alex jones to talk about being threatened by supreme justices because he is publishing the truth about Trump.

They will attack OS like Linux also when people begin to see the light, that they can program their own OS and control what info is going in and out. It won't be long before people are programming their own smart phones also, building them right from hardware (there is one on instructables already)

same with smart cars, people are going to program their own OS.

that's what I thought - but it seems to have great acceptance and not too many complaints.

Or is it just people have just come to accept the inevitable and assume that everything is monitored now and no longer care?

the majority are ignorant plebs. their opinions are irrelevant.

I have never had a Dell that supported the newest OS without any issues. Their laptops will claim to support whatever it may be, but very rarely do the drivers work without issue.

although I am getting sick of the damn win 10 pop up shit that seems to be getting more intrusive by the week - must stay strong and don't click

i only installed win10 in vmware to test some shit. any real upgrade wastes a week of my time reinstalling and retweaking everything.

When did people ever care?

i hate the way windows 10 handles DPI scaling in some crazy way where some things work and others are straight up retarded and fuzzy

or the way it alphabetizes the start menu with big letters cause you know, when i'm looking for 'google chrome' i just couldn't find it without a big G there to tell me where to look

and the lockscreen

and the forced updates on home edition

and hey if you want to change a setting there's like 3 settings menu cause we heard you like settings menus so we put a settings menu on top of your settings menu so you can settings menu while you settings menu

Back