[Cruise] Caribbean or Mexican Riviera

[GF]Drakkan

Veteran XX
So TW, Recently my buddy has sold his house and as part of a deal between him and his real estate agency he gets a free cruise.

A few years back i won a trip and brought him along, so now he is repaying the favor.

Sooo, has anyone here been on a cruise to one of these destinations? is there one that would be better than the other?

US Virgin Islands cruise is a lot of fun, from personal experience. St. Thomas and St. John were very nice. If you go on shore excursions, only go into tourist traps for the local food (which is actually really good). Otherwise check out nature excursions like snorkeling, hiking, kayaking, sailing, etc. The towns/cities are all pretty much shit but the beaches and scenery are amazing.

The Caribbean includes many cruise destinations, so it would help to know some specifics of the cruise offered.

US Virgin Islands cruise is a lot of fun, from personal experience. St. Thomas and St. John were very nice. If you go on shore excursions, only go into tourist traps for the local food (which is actually really good). Otherwise check out nature excursions like snorkeling, hiking, kayaking, sailing, etc. The towns/cities are all pretty much shit but the beaches and scenery are amazing.

I spent a nice chunk of vacation at St John USVI in a cottage and been all over the island to every corner. Every place is safe to stop and to eat, or do whatever. Beaches are serene, an in winter months they are deserted in the evenings... you can basically get one of the best beaches in the Caribbean all to yourself any night.

Definitely hit up St John if you go the USVI route.. kickass island. Better yet, sell the cruise and just go to St John.

And if you do go there, check out a restaurant called Rhumb Lines in Cruz Bay...

I spent a nice chunk of vacation at St John USVI in a cottage and been all over the island to every corner. Every place is safe to stop and to eat, or do whatever. Beaches are serene, an in winter months they are deserted in the evenings... you can basically get one of the best beaches in the Caribbean all to yourself any night.

Definitely hit up St John if you go the USVI route.. kickass island. Better yet, sell the cruise and just go to St John.

And if you do go there, check out a restaurant called Rhumb Lines in Cruz Bay...
Didn't mean you should only eat at tourist traps, I was just implying that there's really no other reason to visit them other than to hang out at a bar/restaurant. Unless, of course, you're looking for crappy merchandise or t-shirts. Alcohol is duty-free, as well, if I remember correctly..

I just went to local grocery stores in Coral Bay and Cruz Bay from time to time and then to restaurants in Cruz... overall kickass place for a laid back vacation. All we did was snorkel and hang out on empty beaches in the evenings.

I've been on something like 140 1 week Caribbean cruises (musician), but never to the Mexican Riviera, though I wouldn't mind visiting. A friend of mine is a very successful travel agent and loves that area, owns a condo in Acapulco, so I hope to visit him there sometime. I was just doing some light reading on it here: Fun Facts: Mexican Riviera - Mexican Riviera cruises - Cruise Critic

Although I don't believe there is any explicit travel alert for Mexico by the US state department just now, take a minute to read up on any destination before you go, just for awareness of issues, for instance currency exchange scams for which unwitting Americans have been arrested.
Mexico

Carribean is nice. Belize is beautiful. Nassau in the bahamas was also nice. Depends if it is an eastern or western and the number of days where youwill go in the carribean.

Nassau is boring... no scenery, mediocre beaches, and anywhere inland is very dumpy.

Back