Comparing monitors... Advice? (dvi vs vga)

EPIK

Veteran XX
Newegg.com - Hanns·G HG-281DPB Black 28" 3ms Widescreen LCD HDMI Monitor 500 cd/m2 800:1 Built-in Speakers - LCD Monitors

28" LCD, 1 hdmi, 1 vga

Newegg.com - HP 2709m 27" 3ms(GTG) HDMI Full HD 1080P Widescreen 16:9 LCD Monitor w/ swivel adjustment 400 cd/m2 DC 30000:1(1000:1)Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

27" LCD, 2 hdmi, 1 dvi

I'm planning on hooking up my PC and xbox 360 to it (in both instances, I will be playing games).

I have a friend telling me that vga is not inferior to dvi in picture quality. 28" is slightly cheaper. Google tells me there's signal conversion that has to occur when going to VGA from a digital signal..... IS this actually a 'problem'? I'm not an asshole about quality, but if I'm going to spend money, I feel like I want to get as much as I can out of the product.

If you have another suggestion, I'm looking for a monitor between 24-28 in. But these 2 are my favorite candidates thus far.

Why not just use HDMI from your videocard? Both nvidia and ati support and most manufacturers include either an dvi->hdmi adapter or have an hdmi port on the card.

I really didn't think it ever mattered.

VGA will be more useful since almost everything has vga on it.

though if you have dvi, you can always use dvi-vga adapter.

I'd get a monitor with at least two digital inputs. Yeah, swapping out cables is pretty annoying, and yes VGA is terrible for a big monitor like that.

note that the HP is a glossy monitor. Some people like them but i think if you are not a huge asshole about quality the matte screens will be far easier on the eyes for long-term usage.

I recommend the asus 26" monitor if you're ok with that size, which is the monitor i have. $270 after rebate, but Newegg is sold out right now. it has 1 vga, 1 dvi, 1 hdmi.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236047&cm_re=asus-_-24-236-047-_-Product

Last edited:
I really didn't think it ever mattered.

VGA will be more useful since almost everything has vga on it.

though if you have dvi, you can always use dvi-vga adapter.

:lolwut:

VGA is being phased out and there are cards out there that don't have it anymore while including a dvi->vga adapter for the poor people that can't afford a monitor with dvi.

I want to plug my xbox into hdmi (most of my gaming right now is on that).

I think both the hp and the hanns have the glossy front on it. My laptop is like that, and I don't have a problem with it at all.

VGA is being phased out and there are cards out there that don't have it anymore while including a dvi->vga adapter for the poor people that can't afford a monitor with dvi.

Well i have been educated. Explains why my new xfx has only dvi, and my 24'' wide screens have both adapters. Still that doesn't answer why the dvi standard is more superior than vga in technical terms

Last edited:
no the hans-g is definitely matte.

pc290002hx1.jpg

Digital v. Analog

This was the issue that got me. Why would this nice, new monitor only offer VGA? It has HDMI so it accepts digital signal and could handle DVI...

My point is that some people say that they can't tell any difference between VGA and DVI... It seems to me that DVI would just be better because it's digital, and that's that.

I have a 27" LCD (TV) that has both VGA and DVI, and I can easily tell the difference. Granted it's 4 years old or so, but I definitely wouldn't ever get VGA on purpose anymore.

This was the issue that got me. Why would this nice, new monitor only offer VGA? It has HDMI so it accepts digital signal and could handle DVI...

My point is that some people say that they can't tell any difference between VGA and DVI... It seems to me that DVI would just be better because it's digital, and that's that.

Look at the pictures of it on newegg. It has 1 HDMI 1 DVI and 1 VGA.

I have a 27" LCD (TV) that has both VGA and DVI, and I can easily tell the difference. Granted it's 4 years old or so, but I definitely wouldn't ever get VGA on purpose anymore.

This, again, aligns with my thought process. If I'm buying a new monitor, why would I want to force myself to downgrade the signal (even if it is a small downgrade).

Fairly sure I'll be hitting up that HP. 2 HDMI and 1 DVI in the event I want to add a device or switch my monitor to hdmi once I upgrade my PC.

Back