Civ games: Which to buy? (if any)

Joft

Veteran X
Well hello there TW,

I just read 56 amazon reviews and got the following impressions

Civ 4: Pretty graphics, actual game not as good as Civ 3. Gameplay is simpler than Civ 3? This could be a good thing since I'm a newbie to the franchise and I'd like this to be a game my girlfriend could play too and she's not a very good gamer.

Civ 3 & 4: Apparently the computer cheats (i.e. "random" outcomes favor the AI). And you can invest 5 hours into a game only to find out that the important resource (oil?) is in another country and therefore your game is over, start again.

4+bts

edit bts may or may not require warlords i dont recall but warlords is meh

but 4+bts is def the answer

if oil is in another country (resources are not discovered on the map until you research necessary tech) make war for oil holler

If you've never played a Civilization game before I say Civ4 is the perfect start. Good tutorial and a good presentation will make it easier to learn for you. I think the other games had a much steeper learning curve.

Yes, as you work your way down the tech tree you may find that an important resource (Oil, rubber, uranium) is in another county but if that really necessitates you restarting the game I don't think you understand the concept behind a strategy game. If a resource you need is in another country you can try to take it over or try to trade for it. It's not like you're completely locked out of getting it. Even if you troops are completely outclassed you can usually build a ton of the weaker units cheaper and try to overwhelm them. Also you can always cheat and open up the world editor and add the resource to your territory.

I just bought 3 on steam because it only cost $5.

Tangential question: Is it possible to play the same game with steam on 2 separate computers at the same time? (to play multiplayer with gf) or is that considered piracy and thus blocked?

I don't think steam would let you but worst case scenario you shouldn't have trouble finding a copy of c3 to download. I don't think 3 had any copy protection.

I actually enjoyed putting the maximum number of players on the minimum size map, make everyone start at peace & disable war declarations. You wind up being able to put down one, maybe two cities before the everyone's borders expand and take up all the land space, and you just begin cultural warfare building up and start flipping cities through revolutions. Bit of fun...

It sucks that parts of civ 4 were lazily coded and lead to the memory allocation failures

can't even play one of the better mods for bts anymore because it crashes whenever I try to create a map unless I'm starting a tiny map

civ 4 and with BTS if you don't have oil and don't want to war for it you can use corporations to get oil from sugar

meh, i've always thought the idea of cavemen fighting tanks was retarded. EU3 or HOI2 for non-retarded strategy (HOI3 comes out in august)

(HOI3 comes out in august)

hell yeah

im going to delegate every theater like a fucking bastard

my boners have boners thinking about letting my generals run my war effort while i supply them with objectives and try to avoid hitlering them to death

Back