Cata leaks starting

yeah blizzard 'leaked' alpha screenshots to the largest world of warcraft information website on the internets.

however, it is funny to see them basically ripping off the corpses of failed mmos.

for example:

Granted wow will do these things better than any of these games. still funny though.
The Throne of Flame actually does resemble the temple of Khorne. Other than that, there isn't any resemblances in those other screenshots :shrug: I mean the pyramid sure, but it's a pyramid. Not exactly new material there.

Actually DAoC had all of those now that I think about it. You could say they took each place from ToA.

Cloud City -> City of Aerus
Tomb of the Earthrager -> Stygian Delta
Throne of Tides -> Tons of underwater ruins and dungeons throughout ToA
The Throne of Flame -> Typhon's Reach

Brings back DAoC memories :(

The Throne of Flame actually does resemble the temple of Khorne. Other than that, there isn't any resemblances in those other screenshots :shrug: I mean the pyramid sure, but it's a pyramid. Not exactly new material there.

Actually DAoC had all of those now that I think about it. You could say they took each place from ToA.

Cloud City -> City of Aerus
Tomb of the Earthrager -> Stygian Delta
Throne of Tides -> Tons of underwater ruins and dungeons throughout ToA
The Throne of Flame -> Typhon's Reach

Brings back DAoC memories :(
And DaoC obviously stole them from Super Mario World since they have the Sky World, Earth World, Water World, Fire World, etc.

The idea of having themed levels is not new to video games guys.

And DaoC obviously stole them from Super Mario World since they have the Sky World, Earth World, Water World, Fire World, etc.

The idea of having themed levels is not new to video games guys.
Uh, technically DAoC stole them from mythology. It's an example, and in no way implies that DAoC created such environments.

And you can say everyone who ever did anything fantasy stole it all from Tolkien, you're not even beating a dead horse anymore you're shuffling the bones around.

I wasn't aware that Tolkien created mythology. Good to know though.

The point of my DAoC examples were to show a MMO that has the same setup. Generally when a company wants idea for an expansion for their MMO, they look at other MMOs and not Super Mario.

I know, the whole point is that saying Game X stole shit from Game Y is so stupid.

Exactly. I mean some things there just isn't so many "imaginings" you can do of it. A famous forest, or a glassland, or even cities. At some point it's very difficult to makeit NOT like like another without people either not knowing WTH is it or so outlandish it doesn't suspend disbelief anymore.

creativity in games is a matter of degree.

if i show you an apple and you show me a banana... then i'll compare you to nintendo
if i show you an apple and you show me a grapple... then i'll compare you to most game companies
if i show you an apple and you show me an apple with extra seeds.... then ill be convinced you're Blizzard

I know, the whole point is that saying Game X stole shit from Game Y is so stupid.
I agree. However, I was not harping on the idea that they have stolen anything from anyone. Just adding on to a post. I don't care what they rehash in their game, as long as it's entertaining. If you want to continue making post about how it's insanely stupid to say this game stole from this game, then go ahead I guess. I really don't care myself.

yeah I'm the same, I don't really care that WoW steals from everything because it always ends up better. The reason for the screenshots wasn't necessarily to compare the concept but more of the fact that the color pallets and architecture are nearly identical. It makes me wonder if all of the people laid off from the failed MMOs got jobs at Blizzard as environment modelers.

yeah I'm the same, I don't really care that WoW steals from everything because it always ends up better. The reason for the screenshots wasn't necessarily to compare the concept but more of the fact that the color pallets and architecture are nearly identical. It makes me wonder if all of the people laid off from the failed MMOs got jobs at Blizzard as environment modelers.

Hey Flowen, you playing? where? Im a rogue on Silver Hand

They probably do, and Blizz doesn't give a shit, can probably pay them less.

all the good people who designed wow are working on blizzards next mmo so i would hope that they poached some good people who worked on other games to finish this cataclysm thing

Back