[CARS]What should I get?

Ranger-=VuP=-

Veteran XV
I'm looking at buying a new car. I've always bought used in the past, but this time I have some extra cash and the desire to own this car for several years, so I'm actually considering new ones.

Sooner or later (probably in the next year), I'm going to have a kid, and eventually a dog, so I'm not looking for something very fast or "cool," but "fun to drive" is still important. So is MPG.

So far I've considered hatchback versions of :
2012 Mazda3
2012 Subaru Impreza
2012 Ford Focus

Is there anything else I should add to this list? Which of those is actually the smartest buy?

Have you driven a Focus?

I test drove one a few weeks ago. They are the opposite of roomy. Felt like I was squeezing into a fighter jet cockpit.

This was a loaded 2012.

kid first? why not other way around.

i have 4 friends that got the mazda 3 hatchback and they all swear by it. they are all manual transmissions. i think one of them had to replace the clutch only after 40k miles or so, but he kind of drives like a dick.

i'll be in the market soon and i'm really keen on subaru outbacks (although the new ones look like shit), so i'm kind of partial to those.

ford, meh.

Those would be the fun to drive ones... it's worth testing the elantra just based on ratings.

Have you driven a Focus?

I test drove one a few weeks ago. They are the opposite of roomy. Felt like I was squeezing into a fighter jet cockpit.

This was a loaded 2012.

I have driven a couple. I'm looking at fully loaded as well. I agree that it's not exactly roomy, but none of the cars on my list are. I have a 2002 impreza sedan right now and it's cramped as fuck.

New cars are a waste of cash IMO

Depends on the make and model. I can buy a new Tacoma for just a few thousand more than a 2-3 year old used one in good condition, and it comes with a full warranty with lemon law protections afforded by state law. Often times finding a rare model type is much more difficult for used vehicles as well. Then there is the factor of abuse by previous owners that you don't have to deal with.

There is a time to buy used, and a time to buy new, it all depends on what your needs are.

I have a mazda 3 hatchback. I like it. My next car will be a mazda speed 3 for sure. Also, I love the hatchback. When needed, the back seats go down and you can fit a ton of shit back there.

I'm looking at buying a new car. I've always bought used in the past, but this time I have some extra cash and the desire to own this car for several years, so I'm actually considering new ones.

Sooner or later (probably in the next year), I'm going to have a kid, and eventually a dog, so I'm not looking for something very fast or "cool," but "fun to drive" is still important. So is MPG.

So far I've considered hatchback versions of :
2012 Mazda3
2012 Subaru Impreza
2012 Ford Focus

Is there anything else I should add to this list? Which of those is actually the smartest buy?

Skip the ford.

I've got an 08 mazda and love it. I'm a bit disappointed that it's already out of warranty though, considering my wife's hyundai came with a 10 year 100k mile warranty. Nothing has died on it so it doesn't really matter yet.

I didn't test the impreza; I just wound up reading tons of reviews as I was going with either the mazda or the impreza. I ultimately went for the mazda because it was prettier. I just thought the non-WRX imprezas were just too damned ugly for me to be happy with.

just looked at the new subaru and mazda sites. Assuming you're getting an automatic transmission:

the subaru has a 4 speed transmission and gets 27mpg highway.
the mazda has a 6 speed transmission and gets 39mph highway.

That right there would cause me to stick with the mazda.

New cars are a waste of money unless you put a ton of miles on them. Go low mileage used, especially with a kid in the future.

also, now that I'm looking at these things. Check out the hyundai accent in a hatchback. It's pretty cheap, isn't terribly ugly, and comes with that huge hyundai warranty I mentioned earlier. It'll have a smaller engine, but it pulls 40mpg highway.

everyone always says don't buy new but when I bought my car a few years ago I pretty much got it at the same price as cars of the same make 2 to 3 years older with a really low interest rate so I am not sure why the fuck I would have bought a used one for

Back