[Car Geeks][amram] Blown Head Gasket

Raze1

Veteran X
So my car "died" today. It started shaking at idle at a red light so I pulled over to a parking lot and shut the car off. I checked the oil (which I knew was low) but that didn't help. I had trouble starting the car and noticed the exhaust was shooting white vapors out.

I'm 90% sure it's a "blown head gasket." I saw videos on youtube mentioning Steel Seal or Blue Devil. So before a mechanic rapes my gaping asshole, should I give these a try? or save the money for the $500+ repair

I just watched how much shit is involved in fixing this. They money I'd save on doing it myself I'd spend on buying tools, sprays, fluids, lost wages, and sleepless nights, headaches, frustrations, suicide ideations, etc.

:ugh: fml

It was a great educational 3 part video though.

Sounds like a temp fix at best, ADD the DAMNED oil, low oil is almost worse than low coolant.

Whatever engine sealant you choose to try, i would advise that first you remove the thermostat, then disconnect the hoses from the heater core and either plug them or hook them together. After you have run the engine enough to see if it works you can drain the cooling system and refill will 50/50 anti-freeze and water and put your thermostat back in and hook up the heater hoses. I have used liquid glass and some of the other sealers with good results, but like everyone says it is a temporary fix. The first time I did not do like I told you and my thermostat stuck and my heater core clogged up with sealer. Its really just a shot in the dark but it may buy you some time. In the end you will have to fix it right.

How much does it cost to repair a head in an engine?

The Whole Story:
Typically, when a head gasket blows, it blows because of a much more severe underlying problem. Gasket kits (the 'parts' required to simply replace the head gasked) cost very little, sometimes as little as $20 to $30USD.
The common underlying problems that can cause a blown head gasket are a cracked or warped cylinder head, which are both caused by overheating. Sadly, a blown head gasket usually means that your vehicle is going to need a lot of money in repairs before it will run again...
You see, once the bad gasket is replaced, the cracked or warped head must also be replaced or sent off for repair by a specialty machine shop. After that, you still must fix the problem that caused the overheating, which could be anything from a $20 valve to a $300 radiator replacement.

Taking all this into consideration, a blown head gasket is a major crossroads for a vehicle owner - they must decide whether or not to spend $500 to $1500 USD, or to replace their vehicle. Tough call, and of course, the blown gasket usually never happens on payday!

Guess it's worth a shot for a cheap patch to last me hopefully a month while I save to trade in and get a new ride. Fuck this sucks.

What kind of car is it?

Daewoo Leganza

Cheap shitty car till I saved up for one in the spring but it...looks like it's not gonna make it past september.

Last edited:
I blew a head gasket on my 2001 Nissan Sentra GTX. I need to find an imported engine from Japan. Any idea where's a good place to look?

I've done it on a ford 5.0, if you do it yourself take lots of pictures along the way, makes things easy.

shadetree mechanic with a couple good buddies

Changing a head gasket is really no big deal if you have the tools, but adjusting the valves is where it gets tricky.

And usually since you have all that shit apart anyway, servicing/replacing the heads/valves/lifters/pushrods/rocker arms isn't the worst idea in the world.

Junk the car and get another one. For what cars are worth in the US you have no excuse not to, especially on a budget 4 banger like that.

Taxi, fuck the hell off with your "adjusting rockers and push rod" shit. It's an overhead cam engine FFS. It has a timing belt.

I've changed head gaskets in cars built prior to 1980. It's not a simple job. Your car is currently in a drivable state (you can drive it to a mechanic). If you thinking about doing it yourself, get the car manual, it can help, and work out how you will sort it out if you start the job and can't finish it (i.e. price to tow it to mechanic to fix). If your really good with stuff like this, and low on money, yeah try it yourself, as its certainly one of those "lots of labour $" jobs and not all that much in parts/stuff.

Also, these things go for a reason, you can replace a head-gasket, not address the other issue, and blow one again. Each time you blow one you get coolant and oil mix and that means more work to clean all that mess up.

Sometimes you need to get the head shaved prior to putting it back together.

If you up to this job, it's very fulfilling if you think you might be able to work it out. Once you can do this, and service a carburetor (in an old car) you will pretty much understand how the whole engine works.

I'd just pay $500 instead of all the fucking around, and sell it immediately, to somebody I don't like.

an alternative sometimes with old cars is to get a reconditioned engine put in. I've put these in about 3-4 cars, and have been happy with the price each time.

I'm only ok with old cars like these:

image43331_b.jpg

4316401865_331373a55d_o.jpg

everything after has all this pollution gear and electronic ignition & injection (yours has this i think), and looks like R2D2's guts. That shit is all beyond my patience.

just have a go at it, and keep us informed along the way, with more photos

Last edited:
Daewoo? Yikes.

Just junk it, no dealer is going to give you anything for that piece of shit even if the head was OK.

Back