[Canada] Generation Jobless

CBC - Doc Zone - Episode - Generation Jobless

Pretty interesting. I have had experience with this, as well as many of my friends. Where almost all the entry level jobs for university students and skill trades required at least 3-5 years of experience. The job market for students (in Canada) is absolutely atrocious.

here was a time when a University degree assured you a of good job, good pay and a comfortable life. Not any more. Today, the unemployment rate for young people in this country is close to 15% – double that of the general population. But the real crisis is the increasing number of university and college grads who are underemployed – scraping by on low-paid, part-time jobs that don’t require a degree. Although there are no official statistics in Canada, it’s estimated that after graduating, one in three 25 to 29 year olds with a college or university degree ends up in a low-skilled job. And to make things worse, 60% graduate with an average debt of $27,000. Mired in debt, and working in dead end jobs, their launch into adulthood is being curtailed. Some call them “the lost generation”. But, it’s not only young people who may be lost. If the next generation fails to gain a toehold into the economy, who’ll buy boomer’s houses? Who’ll pay for social programs? Youth unemployment and underemployment is a ticking time bomb with serious consequences for everyone.

GENERATION JOBLESS delves into why so many young Canadians are overeducated and underemployed. The reality is that today’s twenty-something’s are entering an economy in the throes of a seismic shift where globalization and technology are transforming the workplace. Automation is replacing tens of thousands of jobs at a time. Companies fixated on the bottom line are outsourcing jobs and wherever possible getting computers to do the work. Employers are placing a higher premium on experienced workers, unwilling to invest in training new entrants to the workforce. So, young people are caught in a catch 22. How do you get experience if no one will hire you without it? Many are working for free as unpaid interns, just to try and get their foot in the door. And, for the first time in history youth are facing another unique challenge – competition with their parents’ generation for the small pool of jobs that do exist. Boomers who are delaying retirement.

By all accounts the problem is only going to get worse. Especially since the key players in Canada –universities, employers and governments – are not working together to find a solution. Canada is the only country in the world without a national body responsible for education and is seen as one of the most decentralized and fragmented countries in the world when it comes to helping young people make a smooth entry into the world of work.

Several experts weigh in on what many are calling the most important social issue of our time – including Francis Fong, TD Bank Economist and author of the report The Plight of Younger Workers that paints a bleak picture of youth employment in Canada; Armine Yalnizyan Sr. Economist, Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives who has been tracking trends in the labour market for two decades; and Dr. Paul Cappon, former head of the Canadian Council on Learning a research and advocacy program focused on learning in Canada;

The documentary takes viewers to Switzerland where the youth unemployment rate is 2.8% - the lowest in the developed world. Here the idea of young people graduating with degrees and unable to find jobs is virtually unheard of. Dr. Stefan Wolter, Director of the Coordination Centre For Research In Education, explains how all levels of government, educators and employers, work together to ensure that education and training are linked to employment.

Canada will probably take a huge economic hit when the 18-24 and 25-30 generations' parents become old, and we are unable to support them financially.

here [sic] was a time when a University degree assured you a of good job, good pay and a comfortable life.

When was that, the 1700s?

Seriously, youth unemployment running at double the general rate, graduates in 'schlub' jobs.. none of this is anything new. Youth unemployment is always around that level, and graduates don't immediately step out of college and into the job of their dreams. Yes, you have a piece of paper. Congratulations. Now go learn how to actually do what you've been theorising about for the past few years.

:boohoo:

should be renamed "generation entitled"

there are plenty of jobs out there. whats missing is the idea that you need to start from the bottom and work hard.

instead you have these idiot clowns and their liberal arts communication leisure studies bullshit and expect 50k per year.

i love this generation. its so damned easy to stand out and advance

It's no different here in the states. It took me 2 years of job searching after college to snag my first career job (worked shitty minimum wage jobs until then). It was one of the worst jobs I've ever had but at least I was able to count it as experience and eventually move up.

there are plenty of jobs out there. whats missing is the idea that you need to start from the bottom and work hard.

instead you have these idiot clowns and their liberal arts communication leisure studies bullshit and expect 50k per year.

You are a special kind of stupid, aren't you?
We're talking about university students and skilled labour.
Watch the documentary, and then you'll realize what a giant retard you are.

Just get a government job. Then buy a 750k home that is under 1k sq feet.....sitting on .25 of an acre.

That's what everyone seems to be doing up there these days. Hell, that's what everyone was doing down here too until the bottom fell out of this housing/banking mess.

My guess is you don't have to worry about what will happen if this continues for a few more generations....

Canadian Housing Bubble 'Set To Burst,' The Economist Says

This already took down Japan and the US (once)......neither have really recovered. Both just went further into debt to pretend it didn't destroy them the way it did. It is called the lost decade(s) for a reason. From what I see it's more than likely to happen up there too.

When it does it will either force us back out of our own "fake ass" recovery......or we might go bust again, all on our own, and pop that giant bubble for you. Tick tock.....tick tock.....QE3 is expiring.

wait so ur saying that if u go into an non technical field like public relations there's a lot of competition??

You stand alone.

Why do some people take their 0,0001% sample and make it true for everyone?

Spoiler

you ever stop and think MAYBE there is a reason we ship unprocessed natural resources to the united states?

in the west we're already in the midst of a massive labour shortage, if we were to process and manufacture goods here with our resources we would never be able to find enough manpower

Lol, it's because 4 year degrees in linguistics and media studies are fucking useless in the real world.

The amount of graduates might have gone up in recent years, doesn't mean they didn't complete a completely fucking pointless degree. How many computer science, engineering or maths degree students are currently out of a job?

Lol, it's because 4 year degrees in linguistics and media studies are fucking useless in the real world.

The amount of graduates might have gone up in recent years, doesn't mean they didn't complete a completely fucking pointless degree. How many computer science, engineering or maths degree students are currently out of a job?

what do you mean my masters in women's studies and bachelor of liberal arts was just a waste of time? Its real science, damnit!

Many. I'm in the engineering field and many of my recent graduate friends are jobless. Many of my student friends did not find work for the summer.

Even for engineering entry level jobs, you're expected to have at least 3-5 years experience in whichever field. I know some math graduates that are jobless. That's the point. Not talking about useless degrees. It's affecting everyone. EVEN skilled laborers.

You are a special kind of stupid, aren't you?
We're talking about university students and skilled labour.
Watch the documentary, and then you'll realize what a giant retard you are.
i dont think u read my post

your very argument is the exact thing i was talking about. it doesnt matter what degree or skills you have. you arent entitled to anything.
Many. I'm in the engineering field and many of my recent graduate friends are jobless. Many of my student friends did not find work for the summer.

Even for engineering entry level jobs, you're expected to have at least 3-5 years experience in whichever field. I know some math graduates that are jobless. That's the point. Not talking about useless degrees. It's affecting everyone. EVEN skilled laborers.
the point is that they give out degrees to anyone that can pay for it. meeting the criteria to graduate is different from meeting the criteria for employment.

you also wave around this 3-5yr experience excuse around a little liberally and literally. its a guideline and filter for the worthless crop of graduates. apply and let them disqualify you, dont disqualify yourself. school, jobs, co-op programs...this is all experience.

Last edited:
Supply and demand. There's no jobs out there, yet the universities graduate thousands every year. At least Ashley got a job making $10 per hour doing something she likes. And it's only 10 miles from the place she's renting. A 4 year college degree is like graduating from HS. When you watch college football on TV, look at the stadiums full of people, and then imagine all of them are looking for a job, the same jobs as everyone else.

Last edited:
Back