Calling all ENGINEERS

Togowack

Veteran XV
Long story short, sh*t hit the fan at work and since nobody likes anybody, my boss decided to send me to Beijing again to prove a point. Sales are at record lows.

I have never actually used a CMM.
Does anybody know of software for calculating the dimensional change in a part due to temperature?
Sounds like I basically got 14 2-300 lb axle housings to try get machined to spec and no one knows why they fail inspection here (two alignment are .002" total tolerance and .003" tolerance each with various bores and surfaces perpendicular to it)

make some tooling?

My approach to this will be trial and error, so long as the CMM tells me exactly where we are drilling.

Jobs on the line!!!

you're company is dealing with Chinese companies who do not care about quality, you will never get those tolerances from a Chinese manufacturer.

well, nothing else figures, this will be 100% spontaneous corrective action... no idea whats going wrong with it, we are talking variations of .0001"

you're company is dealing with Chinese companies who do not care about quality, you will never get those tolerances from a Chinese manufacturer.

All depends, it is 50/50 owned and my boss spends about half the year there on and off. The CMM machine builds up a theoretical model which is very difficult datum system, my job is to produce 6 good pieces using whoever I have to and ship them back and $500,000 kaching!!!

my sales manager does NOT like me.

this is the only thing that earns you respect when everything else is politics... 8 months to go till school is over

usually when im failing at my job, i go to TW instead of my friends and peers, but that would imply you have friends or peers that would actually help you instead of being at a glorified chinese importer

there are 1000x ways to fix this, the sales manager told me to come in the morning and declare that if I will go and fix it or pack my bags and leave. (he is there for 1 or 2 hrs out of the day)

The real boss calls and at least said he viewed my work over the past year and is confident I can do it, but yes my job is on the line (when isn't it?)

Why such tight tolerances on an axle? Is it for a Mars rover or something? The root of your problem is probably the unrealistic and most likely unnecessarily tight tolerance.

yeah my life sucks I have to go to work in the morning and trips to china *yawn* boring the great wall has lost its allure

money is boring

what makes you guys even get up in the morning lol

What's the frequency of the flux capacitor?
I don't think you're going fast enough.

Why such tight tolerances on an axle? Is it for a Mars rover or something? The root of your problem is probably the unrealistic and most likely unnecessarily tight tolerance.

It is the root of the problem, the drawing is 30 years old and was made before the era of CMM's.

I went to a meeting with the customer yesterday with sales manager and co-worker who's been macking on my position, and instead of arguing against these tight tolerances I found myself arguing with my co worker.

We left the meeting and sales manager thought everything was fine so did the co worker, when asked I said NO, called the big boss in the truck and he was just as mad, what am I to do? argue with this guy who has no schooling or machine shop experience in front of the customer?

It is the root of the problem, the drawing is 30 years old and was made before the era of CMM's.

I went to a meeting with the customer yesterday with sales manager and co-worker who's been macking on my position, and instead of arguing against these tight tolerances I found myself arguing with my co worker.

We left the meeting and sales manager thought everything was fine so did the co worker, when asked I said NO, called the big boss in the truck and he was just as mad, what am I to do? argue with this guy who has no schooling or machine shop experience in front of the customer?

No, you find out how much it cost's to meet that tolerance in machine time, rejects etc. Then you calculate the cost of a more realistic tolerance. Pass 50% of the savings onto the customer if the new tolerance is acceptable.

Results:
Customer will be happy saving money
Customer will be happy with more dependable ship dates
Your company will be happy making more money for less work.

Your problem is no one in your company (including you) has the balls or fortitude to call a spade a spade.

My boss did, and I would have, but I'm not done school yet and supposedly on equal footing with this other guy, who leave the situation a disaster wherever it is.

Both of them are trying to get me fired this way

my sales boss dad runs the other division, untouchable

Back