[BUG] filo is experiencing 'lightspeed', rest of community asks how?

filo said:
The defense will be overpowered by no-skill cappers who can hit incredibly high speeds. Is that really so hard for you guys to understand?
ok but guess what....if the D is overpowered go rape. If the base is raped the overpowered no-skill cappers cant suit up in light. let the game effing balance itself out.

T-Refried-455 said:
wait

so i DO have to ski and dj to have lightspeed

so i guess your last 50 posts or so about 'PRESS Q 4 ZOOM' were bs

np. have fun posting to self.

You have to "ski" (edit: 'press spacebar') for about 5 seconds, then press 'q' to have lightspeed. Waow takes alot of skill this game! Man it is so hard to hit speeds of 200+! I will have to practice forever!

filo said:
You have to "ski" (edit: 'press spacebar') for about 5 seconds, then press 'q' to have lightspeed. Waow takes alot of skill this game! Man it is so hard to hit speeds of 200+! I will have to practice forever!
man please SHUTUP. I've practiced tons of routes already. They take some amount of skill. If you dont land it right or hit the right bump there goes all your speed. And wtf are you talking about "(edit: 'press spacebar')" thats the exact same way t1 worked.

xgalaxy said:
I'm still waiting on that screenshot :|

After refried asked it of me, I ran a route the minute I joined a server and hit 200+, then I offered it to refried and he pointed me to www.photoshop.com, basically stating that it was meaningless. Then he mentioned how he could easily hit 200+ (in effect proving my point). I'm not going to go run another one now to be told it's a photoshop.

One shazbotty attempt at a route took me over 200+, I know it, everyone knows how easy it is. People need to stop kidding themselves. To hit high speeds in T:V it's 10% ski, 70% 'q' button', 20% discjump.

Sking requires very little skill as it stands, and attaining high speeds barely any at all.

CxD said:
man please SHUTUP. I've practiced tons of routes already. They take some amount of skill. If you dont land it right or hit the right bump there goes all your speed. And wtf are you talking about "(edit: 'press spacebar')" thats the exact same way t1 worked.

Right, but you didn't just hold the spacebar key down in T1. You had to jump up a bit, jet a bit, then proceed to skii, then let go of the spacebar at times so it wouldn't eff you up. It wasn't as cut and dry as holding the spacebar key down and pressing 'q'.

filo said:

I suggest you go try this for yourself.

I've just been playing for a few hours on CkB Don't Ask Don't Tell (my second day). I'm still "newbie" grabbing with the e-pack. Usually I hit the boost when I grab the flag, as I always lose some speed by having to avoid the D.

The boost is NOWHERE NEAR as bad as you're saying. From a stand still, it gets you going decently fast. Fast enough where I'm able to at least get good speed going (not even 200, more like maybe 150). But that's after hitting hills. The e-pack boost gets me to maybe 70. When I'm going really fast and hit the e-pack boost it affects me a lot less. Why? because it doesn't have as much effect when you're already scooting along pretty fast.

I only have like 5 hours of vengeance time under my belt, and with those five hours, and with the 5+ years of Tribes experience from 1 and 2 I'm saying it's a LOT harder to hit 200+ than you're making it out to be. Hell, the only reason I'm making any of the caps I've made so far is because 1) the server has other new people in it, and 2) I have 3 years (of my 5 years tribes experience) as a competition team capper, meaning I've learned how to stay low (for the most part, got sniped for going high a few times) and when is a good time to turn.

Calder said:
okay, why has it not been said before?

STFU MEMBER

I'll back this up as well. Really, PLAY the game, THEN bitch.

filo said:
Right, but you didn't just hold the spacebar key down in T1. You had to jump up a bit, jet a bit, then proceed to skii, then let go of the spacebar at times so it wouldn't eff you up. It wasn't as cut and dry as holding the spacebar key down and pressing 'q'.

Ahah! I found the secret.

Lightspeed only works when you go in a strait line. None of this taking corners to hit the flag then head home. You just go straight, got it.

Seriously though, I want some of what you're on. Aside from the fact you're not jumping constantly in Vengeance (as skiing isn't jumping anymore) in execution they're almost exactly the same.

You have to get some jet going to pick up a bit of speed, then you slide down the hill, jet up the next one (for more speed on coming downhill) and such.

It's the exact same thing, hell, I've even found having to briefly let up on space a few times in Vengeance. I'm not seeing the difference in how you input skiing.

Refs interpretation of what I said: There is no skiing in tribes anymore

What I really said: Skiing still plays a small roll, but is pretty pointless since people can attain incredibly high speeds without requirig routes or skill.

I don't agree with this post. Yes skiing fast is easy in this game, but it was easy in T1 as well. You could improvise on almost all the classical maps and still get high speeds.

The Q button isn't what gets you the speed, its how you hit the slope to build up the speed that takes mastering. And the difference between 170 and 215 is huge against a skilled team.

Also, you play against a solid LD, and I guarentee you, you won't be able to solo cap. Already with two of us LDing, we shut down a few talented solo cappers for most of the game, until they decided to teamplay and harass us with O sniping and mortars.

Also, I don't know if you have spectated the newbies or some of the less talented T2 folks, but they aren't getting anything *near* what T1 people are getting speed wise. Why? B/c we spent years mastering skiing, and this game is a lot more like T1 than anything else.

Bottomline.. If those maps were T1 maps, I don't think the speed difference would be all that noticeable frankly b/c of the Q key

First off, this game is balanced more towards the offense than defense, everyone knows that. Second off, if this "Q" button is so amazing and will make you go at insane speeds with the press of a button, then what stops the LD from grabbing an energy pack and pressing "Q", if I didn't know any better, I would consider you legaly retarded.

he keeps saying that he's so great, will own us, played tribes for 5 years, yet I've never even heard of him. who the eff are you?

Anyways.... T:V is offensively oriented and that's fine, chasing is harder, and that's fine too, it just puts more emphasis on offense...different game, different tactics. big effing deal.

Back