boom container ships

MAYBE IF WE BUILT A CARGO PLANE OUT OF WOOD

spruce_goose.jpg

Silly Goose

... anyway as much as I love sailing I don't think using wind energy for propulsion is the way forward, simply because it's too unreliable and in most cases isn't all that quick.

Catch the Wind

shin_aitoku_maru.jpg

During the 1970s there were times when petroleum really looked like becoming an intermittent resource, also. Along with the development of wind farms, there was serious consideration of commercial sail. The era's poster child: the Shin Aitoku Maru, a small (298 ft.) tanker equipped with computer controlled folding sails that could be used in favorable conditions. Comparisons with a power-only sister ship indicated 10 - 15% reduction in fuel consumption. The Shin Aitoku Maru engaged in trials for three years before being retired. What was wrong?

Oil prices fell during the 1980s.
Tall masts were found to be impractical in harbors that might feature low bridges.

Also, the Usuki Pioneer:

615820.jpg

Last edited:
about 370 million with an operating budget per vessel in the >1 billion/year range

they pay for themselves once they are bought in most cases

keep in mind you have to pay crew and materials etc, but they don't lose money

I know Zubi's rigs may run 5-6 billion a year per vessel, so buying a 700 million dollar rig is like a yard sale

thank you fancy :)

but no bribes will get me to put my shirt on
unless its a good amount of monies

Back