Beta to be turned off soon

Suddenly_Dead said:
To "imperial" arguements:

- Single player was a big reason that Tribes and Tribes 2 lost points on many review sites, and a bit of a reason that some people didn't play it. T:V single player has not been hyped that much, or at all really. T:V single player allows newbies a chance to better themselves at the game on lower skill levels instead of immediately going into multiplayer and dieing every two seconds.

- T2 didn't work on alot of computers that could play T1. Improvement requires money in the real world. Without improvement graphically, many less people would purchase the game. That would be an idiotic business move. And I personally know only one person who won't be buying T:V because of a poor computer, but he doesn't play most computer games anyways (with the exception of Tribes on occassion)

- On the "stupid kid like flying bubble plane": What you seem to be worried most about is not getting credit for the fighter kill, which simply points out the fact that you're one of the people who doesn't like contributing to teamwork in pubs. It doesn't even spawn that often, so what does it matter? You're not losing that many kills, lest that's all you attack... At that you don't even know if they've fixed it for release or not, so why are you complaining about them having to put it in a patch?

Well written post! I hardly ever look to see if I got the "credit" for a kill, so I guess this aspect of the game dosen't matter that much to me.

They said same maps.
End of debate.

In one way I'm actually glad, since this will let me side by side compair the beta to the demo. On the flip side, my purchase of T:V hinges entirely on how big maps can get.

If smallish maps is all it can offer up, I'm gonna be seeing about a torque lisence, instead. (It's got pixel shaders now! Woot!)

BitRaiser said:
They said same maps.
End of debate.

In one way I'm actually glad, since this will let me side by side compair the beta to the demo. On the flip side, my purchase of T:V hinges entirely on how big maps can get.

If smallish maps is all it can offer up, I'm gonna be seeing about a torque lisence, instead. (It's got pixel shaders now! Woot!)

Buy T:V and TSE ;)
And for comparison, Arid is probably the biggest map in the game, much bigger then Isle (unless they changed it). So yea, you can have some pretty big maps.

Good! I'd much rather be modding for T:V than building endless amounts of content in Toruqe.

At this point, I'm looking at things to do to make players :D
(Why do you think I've been starting threads on issues I know Irrational can't/won't address at this point?) ;)

BitRaiser said:
That's a weak reason to not buy the game... The community will make maps of all sizes, that's a given. Even though the engine doesn't support infiniate terrain, I doubt it's limited to the sizes of Isle and WL; both of which are fine imo. I'd consider them a medium size.

Oops, ya got me wrong there... I don't mean the map sizes that come with it, I'm talking aout possible map sizes. As in what the engine can handle. I haven't actually seen anything large to-date and I don't know if this is a design issue or a limitation.

I think that medium and small size maps are gamedesign choice (a good one), not a engine limitation. Not sure but i think that Starsiege mod will have really large maps.

imperial said:
sounds like to me, we all paying just for that stupid ass single player action, which is about as fat as a crack head on some base .... SinglePlayer games can be okay, if they are on a console and your friend can play with you on it at same time .... AKA : HALO ....
(snip)

Single player sells games. If 5x as many people buy the game because it has SP, and 1/4 the development time is spent on it, then they can charge FAR less for the game than they could without SP.

Also, given you haven't played SP yet (other than perhaps the demo), I don't think you're in any position to comment on it. Please stick to posting about things you're qualified to speak on, ie: fat crackheads on some base.

Um, third, if a game allows you to play at the same time as a friend, well that is pretty much multiplayer by definition.

pyrot3chnic said:
That's a weak reason to not buy the game... The community will make maps of all sizes, that's a given. Even though the engine doesn't support infiniate terrain, I doubt it's limited to the sizes of Isle and WL; both of which are fine imo. I'd consider them a medium size.

The engine can do maps considerably bigger than WL and Isle. The maps so far are medium to small by design not limitation.

I'm looking forward to bigger maps with more complex base design/gen placement. Community should be able to fill that void if retail doesn't provide.

Thanks fer the info (the quote was originally aimed at me).
While T:V seems to be a perty good action game, my interest is definatly slanted toward the mod side of things.

Dyno said:
Bleh. Same maps. :(

That's not a very good way to re-attract those who already played the mp beta.

You guys don't get it. Irrational is not trying to win you over. They are trying to win everyone over. By including the maps that were in the beta, They got a lot of player feedback and Irrational HAS TWEAKED the 4 maps that were in the beta. To me, this makes the most sense because it allowed Irrational to really polish those 4 maps for the rest of the world and make them the best in the game. And sorry to say it, but they probably are the best. Why else do you think they have chosen to keep these 4 in the demo?

Who cares about you? If you were in the beta in the first place, you should be purchasing the game and all the maps anyway. Just skip the multiplayer demo alltogether. It's only a few more days to release.

xgalaxy said:
Buy T:V and TSE ;)
And for comparison, Arid is probably the biggest map in the game, much bigger then Isle (unless they changed it). So yea, you can have some pretty big maps.

nothing in TV even remotely shows how big maps can be on the engine. likewise, i might point out... several MMOs use this engine (Lineage II being one), so... yes, the "size" issue is moot. i might add that terrain heightmap textures in ut2k4 and tv are 512x512. the engine supports up to 2048x2048, and that doesnt even include scaling...

as for torque, well, if i were serious and wanted ultra-1337 outdoors gameplay on an engine of choice today: TSE wouldnt be my choice.

TSE is good for a low-end, cheapo engine for playing around. contact Crytek if you want to make a full game or mod :)

Zio said:
You guys don't get it. Irrational is not trying to win you over. They are trying to win everyone over.

amen.

...and let's hope lots and lots of new players find interest.

the funny thing is... some folks here will whine if TV doesn't break sales and online records. the SAME people will also complain about all the n00bs if it does.

Back