Best Fantasy Football resource(s)?

Zulu

Contributor
Veteran XV
Looking for a good FF magazine to study up on for the draft this year. Any recommendations?

I've read the "football guys" forums one year. I let yahoo pick my league another..both times I got crushed. WTF is everyone using? What's the best?

just play the fucking game and have fun with it

the people who use insider blogs for fantasy football need to be murdered

i guarantee you that insider stuff will not help you out any more than just using the regular old yahoo or espn player rankings and sleeper lists

i guarantee you that insider stuff will not help you out any more than just using the regular old yahoo or espn player rankings and sleeper lists

Not buying it. The guy who has consistently placed in the top 3 of our work league is a fanatic and has all sort of info coming from somewhere, idk where, he won't say - just "get a good draft magazine".

yes, FF is a crap shoot in the end, and that's why i went with yahoo auto-draft one year and found myself at the bottom of the league with a bunch of no-talent hasbeens.

Im no FF superstar, I placed 10th out of 10 last season, but I was 1st and 3rd the 2 prior seasons.

I'd say the biggest mistakes people can make are:

Drafting players they like waaaaaaaaaaay to early over players who are solid in FF.

Drafting players like Darrelle Revis, he is a great CB but you wont get points from tackles or anything.

Some people just dont pay attention to matchups, bye weeks, or schedule's. These things are important.

Drafting the wrong types of players for your leagues scoring system. If QBs get 6 points for TDs they are very important, if they are 3 points per TD you probably want some key RBs. If its a PPR league, Ray Rice moves up the list along with alot of WRs.

Dont always try and pick a bunch of "sleepers." Minimize risk by getting guys who perform consistently. You can get burned, but sleepers are a risk that should be picked up later.

People draft kickers and defense waaaaaaaaaay to early.

pick up the texans, motherfuckers are real this season

johnson, schabb, defense maybe not so much, but RB even I would grab 2-3 texans

skins are in the air until mcnabb does something

wideouts for bungles are in the air for sure, but if you take the gamble that could be HUGE FF points

Not buying it. The guy who has consistently placed in the top 3 of our work league is a fanatic and has all sort of info coming from somewhere, idk where, he won't say - just "get a good draft magazine".

yes, FF is a crap shoot in the end, and that's why i went with yahoo auto-draft one year and found myself at the bottom of the league with a bunch of no-talent hasbeens.

thats probably because he plays in a league that has members who use the autodraft by choice lol

Don't stack your roster with people from the same team. Sure having a QB+WR double up on numbers might seem awesome, when that team has a shitty game you lose.

Get players who are their team's sole offense. Steven Jackson might play for a shitty offense, but he'll get 20 touches a game. Guaranteed points.

If your league gives points for return yards, consider grabbing a #2 wide receiver who also does returns, often more value than a #1 receiver.

Don't jump the gun and pick a QB in the first round, there's only a handful of quality running backs where as in a 12 person FF league you're pretty much guaranteed a top 10 QB even if you wait till the 3rd or 4th round to pick one up.

Thanks. The tip about favoring an RB in round 1 is an interesting one, especially so since our league watered down the points for QB's due to the Peyton Manning 1-dimensional team years.

Im usually pretty good at it and don't invest much time. It's purely a strategy game

when drafting:
1. Write out an order out of how you want your team. Know that RBs, then WR, then the top QBs start showing up, then it falls into WR/QB/RB madness as the draft goes on. After you know your draft order you can pretty much go down the line:

Free Fantasy Football Top 200 Rankings

Look at that. So say if you're 6th to draft you're getting ray rice, frank gore, andre johnson, or michael turner. Decide if you want the best WR (andre johnson), or a great RB (the rest). If you pick Andrew Johnson you sure as fuck better pick a remaining good RB next round because free agent drafting a top tier RB mid season is near impossible.

From there, fill in the rest of your roster, you'll probably draft RB RB WR QB WR RB D/ST QB K.. etc., some variation of that. Have a general order in mind.

After you get the first 3 rounds out of the way essentially go down the list with a sharpie and mark off who's drafted and just draft the next best available player. The stat monkeys that make these charts know more than you or your supposed gut ever will. Just fill in your roster spots with the highest ranked player possible.

After that on Sundays watch out for hurt players, who their fill in is, and who the highest undrafted FFP earner that week is (this is easy, all this info is automatically generated in your FF league).

I wrote this because I'm procrastinating from doing work, now don't fuck it up.

have my draft today, and #1 pick...hoping i can pick up two solid receivers (jennings/jackson/white) and a starting qb (romo/rivers/brady/schaub)

Back