[Basic Chem] Halp! mols and formula units

ThUnda

Veteran XX
teacher is f'n terrible, i've been busy with other things (5 tests this week) and my chem study fell thru the cracks. I cannot wrap my head around this question

"If there are 88 mols of carbon, how many mols of C4H10O2 are present?"

it completely shuts down my brain, i cannot think of how to even attack it (yes this is my first attempt at a chem class, never took it in HS, and I'm now 30)

I'm really stressing here, test is at 9am tomorrow and my brain is soup(been taking stabs at figuring this out all evening), not looking to have the answer given, I need to understand how i get the answer.

/begin flaming and thanks to anyone who can give me a hand here.

mole ratios bro

edit: yeah, if there's one thing I've learned from college it's that your teachers are generally shitty.
I took chemistry for two years in highschool and my teacher actually gave a shit. we had 6 tests, each of them with roughly 30 questions that we had to show all our work for

in the two college basic chem courses i took the instructor just read off of the powerpoint that came with the book.
there were 4 tests including the final exam, and each were 15 questions multiple choice on a scantron.

In college you're expected to teach yourself, really. the professors only care about their research and view class as a waste of their precious time.

the only good chem teacher i've had in college has been my Organic professor.
she was asian and hard to understand sometimes, but she made sure that everyone understood the material in class and would spend entire 2 hour lectures working one section if we had trouble with it.

Last edited:
It's been a while for me...but if you have 88 mole C and want moles of C4H10O2...isn't it just 22?

I do believe that 1 mol of C4H10O2 contains 4 mol C, 10 mol H, 2 mol O. From there it's just division. Am I wrong? It's been years.

Last edited:
It's been a while for me...but if you have 88 mole C and want moles of C4H10O2...isn't it just 22?

ding

Although I suspect the problem is asking for number of atoms C, and he copied the problem wrong.

If there's 88 moles of Carbon, you have (88)x(6.022x10^23) carbon atoms. Since you have 4 carbon atoms for every molecule of C4H10O2 (I think it's a diol at first glance, but that doesn't matter), you have 88/4 or 22 moles of C4H10O2.

i dont know how you could formulate any sort of answer from the question as it is written. i see what they are trying to ask but it seems weird to me

My fiancee is doing organic chem next semester. I like doing chemistry so I am kind of looking forward to being able to look at the problems and such without actually having to take the class. Glad I don't need it for my degree though.

:shrug: question makes sense. Basic chem 1 stuff to just check to see if you know what a mole is.

My fiancee is doing organic chem next semester. I like doing chemistry so I am kind of looking forward to being able to look at the problems and such without actually having to take the class. Glad I don't have to take organic chem though.

Organic is nothing like gen chem... at all... I love organic, though. It's super fun, if you understand the basic principles (physics) that govern what's happening.

Organic is nothing like gen chem... at all... I love organic, though. It's super fun, if you understand the basic principles (physics) that govern what's happening.

I like science in general, math/physics/chem/etc.

Fuck A&P though. Fuck that class. :(

Back