ATX power supply.. wtf

There are two four pins is what I mean.

One 4 pin is in its own slot (has typical plastic connector/latch) in the ATX 12V slot.

One 20 pin is in the ATX slot. There is a spare 4pin (with cable colors the same as the 20 pin) that has a plastic connector/latch the same as the 20pin.

It slides perfectly into the 20pin plastic groove and into the ATX port on mobo.

20pin name is Main, 4pin name is M1

And also, this motherboard has a male connector (9 pin. 5/4)for the monitor.. friends monitor is an old POS CRT with a male connecter (15 pin, 5/5/5)

Guess I need to pay more attention when picking new mobos haha

I don't mean to sound incompetent, I just usually build computers with completely upgraded technology. Not piece by piece. Sell the old, build a new.

If that extra 4-pin is attached to the same cable bundle as the 20-pin then, yes, that's what it's for.

Sounds like the CRT has a standard VGA connection

the motherboard should be female, unless youre looking at the serial connection

maybe your motherboard doesn't have onboard video?

Motherboard2.jpg

There are two four pins is what I mean.

One 4 pin is in its own slot (has typical plastic connector/latch) in the ATX 12V slot.

One 20 pin is in the ATX slot. There is a spare 4pin (with cable colors the same as the 20 pin) that has a plastic connector/latch the same as the 20pin.

It slides perfectly into the 20pin plastic groove and into the ATX port on mobo.

20pin name is Main, 4pin name is M1

The 20pin is separate from the 4pin so that the psu is compatible with old motherboards. the 20pin and 4pin should fit together to connect in the 24pin spot.

And also, this motherboard has a male connector (9 pin. 5/4)for the monitor.. friends monitor is an old POS CRT with a male connecter (15 pin, 5/5/5)

That would be a DB-9 connector, commonly referred to as a serial port. :rofl:

Guess I need to pay more attention when picking new mobos haha

I don't mean to sound incompetent, I just usually build computers with completely upgraded technology. Not piece by piece. Sell the old, build a new.

While this was briefly mentioned, I felt the need to point this out.

this stupid fucker mistook a serial port for a VGA port.

:picard: :picard2: :picard: :picard2: :picard: :picard2: :picard: :picard2:

Dont squeeze both the 20 and 4 into the 24

put the 20 into the 24 and the 4 into the 4

Many power supplies now have a 20 pin connector with a 4 pin that mounts on the 20 pin for 24 pin systems.

RTFM that came with the psu or the damn box. It should tell you.

My OCZ psu came with a 20 pin and 4 pin that was keyed to attach to the side of the 20 pin.

EDIT: NM, once again Dmaul(asshole) beat me to it. :)

Last edited:
Many power supplies now have a 20 ping connector with a 4 pin that mounts on the 20 pin for 24 ping systems.

RTFM that came with the psu or the damn box. It should tell you.

My OCZ psu came with a 20 pin and 4 pin that was keyed to attach to the side of the 20 pin.

EDIT: NM, once again Dmaul(asshole) beat me to it. :)

ping??

same typo TWICE?

It's called a 20+4 pin connector. The 4-pin usually slides into a slot on the end of the 20-pin to form a 24-pin. Not to be confused with the 4-pin P4 connector that plugs into a different place on the motherboard, typically near the CPU.

20+4pin_2.jpg

Back