Anyone use a trackball mouse?

hastie

Veteran X
Wanting to try one of these out for my laptop. Figured it be nice for plane rides and my couch, where i don't have a solid desk surface to use a mouse. Heard this one was actually pretty decent, although they tend to fail within a year of use, but since it is for a laptop I mostly only use when travelling, this may not be as much of an issue. https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Trackball-Computer-Mouse/dp/B0043T7FXE
Anyone use these regularly or for gaming and have any input? I've heard they can take a good week to get used to.

Faggotry_forest.jpg

Logitech had a good wired trackball mouse with the Trackman Wheel Optical (904353-0403) but quit making in favor of the mouse you linked to. Which is made from inferior plastics and stops working fairly quickly. What is sad is you can still buy the old mouse but it will cost you $200+ easy as sellers realize how good a mouse it was.

I have yet to find a decent replacement. Most others do not have smooth movement of the ball and like to stutter.

If you find a good trackball mouse please let me know.

I use the Logitech wireless one for work all the time and I love it. It does take some getting used to, but I just started using it all day and it didn't take long. Gaming though? No. I've only known one guy who could game with a trackball, and while he was good considering, I would not recommend it.

I actually prefer a trackball for anything non-gaming related though.

I looked a some a while back as I was planning on using one on the boat instead of the touchpad. I found some really nice marine/industrial ones but I can't remember who made them now.

search for industrial/marine/military trackballs
NSI make them but you wont see many ergonomic gaming style ones, the old Microsoft/Logitech ones were the best.

Kensington still make them and I looked at them but they didn't seem all that strongly built but they did have a scroll ring embedded at the base of the ball which looked really nice to me.

2 button
PI9gr85.jpg

or

4 button
ZOxkBZV.jpg

Last edited:
I always thought trackballs were so stupid.

I mean, why would you want to put your greasy fucking fingers directly on the ball that's being tracked? seems dumb.

oh shit, i thought this was about the input on the bottom of the mouse

i was all like "yo bruh, i got some microsoft intellimouse leftovers"

Gaming though? No. I've only known one guy who could game with a trackball, and while he was good considering, I would not recommend it.

I wouldn't use it for first person shooters or anything fast paced, i just realized last flight that even games that are mostly keyboard input sometimes require some mouse usage, which was difficult with the trackpad or a mouse. Deadlight for example.

And thanks all for the input so far.

jjwtay told me he uses track ball and is also left handed so hes all sorts of fucked up but still good tribe capper

I've found trackballs to be more precise. Instead of moving your whole arm you are just moving your thumb, which gives me more control.

That's with the ball on the side. The ones with the ball on top mean you have to use your whole arm again. Which will fuck you up.

I wouldn't use it for first person shooters or anything fast paced, i just realized last flight that even games that are mostly keyboard input sometimes require some mouse usage, which was difficult with the trackpad or a mouse. Deadlight for example.

And thanks all for the input so far.

Input.... hehe

I have two of the Logitech ones and they last forever (at least for me). Battery life is forever and one of them bounces around my laptop bag with me everywhere and works (contrary to most new Logitech stuff which tends to be crappy now).

Last edited:
I've found trackballs to be more precise. Instead of moving your whole arm you are just moving your thumb, which gives me more control.

That's with the ball on the side. The ones with the ball on top mean you have to use your whole arm again. Which will fuck you up.

WAT?

i went back to a trackball about 10 years ago because my mouse fucked up. Like within a couple weeks i learned that i could fucking WRECK mofos on CS with it. IT was hilarious. Anyways i went back to the mouse because im not a fgt.

The moreee eyou knoooooow

Back