Anyone on TW who ever played French Horn?

i played french horn in high school concert band, i played all kinds of brass but most kids wanted to play more mainstream instruments so i filled in on whatever

kiiinda.

The one thing that holds true about all brass with valves is that the sequence of fingerings is all the sames, and the partials occur at the same fingerings, but the french horn is the only one that varies.

tubas, baritones, euphoniums, trumpets, cornets; all of them (for the most part), when played with an open fingering at the lowest natural partial, will produce a true Bb, whereas French horn plays an Eb. It's kind of the red-headed stepchild of the horn family, but this red-head is totally smokin' hot.
This is same for the trombone too, I believe. I'm not sure what a natural partial is, but when played in the first position the Bb is one of the easiest notes to play.

Also it's keyed in C so all the music for it is at the true key -- not in Bb or Eb or some other crazy key like trumpets, clarinets, and most other instruments. This means no transposing.

This is same for the trombone too, I believe. I'm not sure what a natural partial is, but when played in the first position the Bb is one of the easiest notes to play.

Also it's keyed in C so all the music for it is at the true key -- not in Bb or Eb or some other crazy key like trumpets, clarinets, and most other instruments. This means no transposing.

Yeah, the low open pitch for 1st position is Bb or F. I miss hornline. Not really, seeing as the colorguard girls put out for drumline guys. It's sweet.

Back