Anyone on TW who ever played French Horn?

Stick a reed in your cat's ass and tongue that fucker. At least your breath ought to improve.

two female members of an orchestra are chatting in the bathroom while doing their makeup. Says one to the other:
"So tell me, how was that date with the trumpet player the other week?"
"Oh, not so bad.. but the way he kissed.. all puckered up from playing that little thing.. ergh"
"So, not as good as the trombonist then?"
"No, but definately better than the tuba player... so damn sloppy! Tell me though, how'd your date with the french horn player go? Good kisser?"
"Not bad, but the way he held me, damn!"

two female members of an orchestra are chatting in the bathroom while doing their makeup. Says one to the other:
"So tell me, how was that date with the trumpet player the other week?"
"Oh, not so bad.. but the way he kissed.. all puckered up from playing that little thing.. ergh"
"So, not as good as the trombonist then?"
"No, but definately better than the tuba player... so damn sloppy! Tell me though, how'd your date with the french horn player go? Good kisser?"
"Not bad, but the way he held me, damn!"

:lol:

Spoiler

they sound like shit if you are new to it. apparently its one of the hardest brass instruments to learn

yep, even when you are considered intermediate level like in high school after playing it for many years they still miss notes and blow them out every once in a while. but a professional french horn player sounds beautiful. dvorak's new world symphony is probably the best example i can think of.

correct me if im wrong (and I probably am)

but aren't most brass instruments played basically the same, just in different key? I remember trying out this.. fuck I can't even remember the name, it was some huge horn that looked straight out of germany. And it was easy..

edit: this
Euphonium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
They've always sounded like muted trombones to me. Talking to a professional, the hand placed inside the bell is supposed to be a mute, changing the direction and force of the air waves as they leave the horn.

But I've always been partial to the trombone. One of the first designed horns, it's been around over 500 years and included in almost all symphonic music. It's one of the easiest horns to learn, one of the most robust, and the loudest unamplified musical instrument.

correct me if im wrong (and I probably am)

but aren't most brass instruments played basically the same, just in different key? I remember trying out this.. fuck I can't even remember the name, it was some huge horn that looked straight out of germany. And it was easy..

edit: this
Euphonium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorta. There's some commonalities.

They all have a bell-shaped mouthpiece, and the player has to press his lips together and shove air through, making the lips vibrate. The tightness of the lips controls the vibration, and that's a large part of which note is being played.

Almost all brass instruments vary the length of tubing that the air passes through in order to access more notes, and most of them use a set of valves to do this. The other part of learning these horns is learning what valve and lip-tightness combination produces which notes.

The trombone does not use valves. Instead the slide is moved with the right hand through 7 different positions. The other part of learning the trombone is learning where these positions are, and the combination of position and lip-tightness to produce different notes.

Edit: Oh, that. It's like a mini-tuba, and covers about half of the range as the trombone can. It has a different tone, is heavier, and isn't as loud as a trombone.

Last edited:
I played french horn.

I was damn good.

But alas I was still a nerd.

But I got laid by nerdy girls so it wasn't all bad.

my horn:
1Getzen_725-large.jpg

Back